Help a tall newbie

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Joshua
The force is strong in this one
kayak: 2011 Red AI - 2014 Dune Outback

Help a tall newbie

Post by Joshua »

Hey vyakkes!
My name is Josh, I'm 26 and im looking at getting into kayaking.
I've been fishing since I was tiny and been snorkelling and spear fishing the last 12 months, and I think getting a kayak is the next step in enjoying both of these hobbies and exploring them a little more.

Unfortunately I don't have any where near enough money to buy a decent yak, and have to find something under $400 (me and the wife have our first baby on the way) I've been looking at eBay yaks and there is a bit in there for under that price, I know they won't be anything special, has any body here had any experience with eBay yaks?

I'm 6''4 and 80 kgs
I'm looking to do port Phillip fishing and snorkelling from the yak, with the occasional easy river thrown in.
I've had very little kayaking experience, and done a small amount of canoeing.

Will one of these shorter yaks be acceptable in the bay? I'm not looking to go out wide, just a few hundred meters off shore in good weather.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Here are a couple of the yaks I've considered.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1395503130
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1026707182
Im aware longer yaks are better for the bay, I just don't have the space to store one hence the 3m yaks above.

Cheers guys.
Best catch - Stingray on a hard-body
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Help a tall newbie

Post by laneends »

My first yak was one of these types of things. They are all much the same thing. You will be pushing for leg room at 6' 4". Go to one of the nearest big stores and go sit in a short yak.
As far as intend to how far out you will go. You don't know this until you do it. You can find yourself further away than you intended, especially as your confidence grows. Then conditions change and it can get real scary quick, when you are struggling to even point it in a straight line. Unfortunately waiting for perfect conditions means you dont get out much.

Bottom line is you need to be able to get back in without tipping when it suddenly gets windy and choppy.

I took my little yak on the bays maybe 3 times. In hindsight that was 3 times it went dangerously past its safe limits. That wasn't far off shore.

If you get one of these you will either give up quickly or paying out again to upgrade and these will have little SH value.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Is 3m the most you can store? It might not work for you, but others have used pulley systems to store longer yaks above their cars in carports and garages. At 6 4 you will be cramped in a small yak which will reduce the length of time you can confortably spend on the water. They are also hazardous for use in the bay as Keith mentioned. I would be looking for a longer yak in tfe second hand market if it was my money.
Joshua

Post by Joshua »

Thanks for the reply guys, you've convinced me to look for something bigger, will also bigger yak handle the rivers ok?
Obviously not as nimble but will the suffice? I've got my eye on a second hand 4m yak that seems well priced. If you think the 3m just won't suit me.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Seasherpa »

Joshua wrote:Thanks for the reply guys, you've convinced me to look for something bigger, will also bigger yak handle the rivers ok?
Obviously not as nimble but will the suffice? I've got my eye on a second hand 4m yak that seems well priced. If you think the 3m just won't suit me.
Depends on how skinny the water is Joshua shorter yaks can be good for creek bashing, but longer ones work fine when covering some distance. At the end of the day the only one that can really tell you what yak is best is actually yourself, after paddling it. Every yak will be a compromise as different yaks suit different conditions. Get the one that will suit where you will be fishing 90% of the time, you can always make do for the other 10%.
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

4m yaks are fine in skinny water, 3m are more convenient but. It is better to sacrifice the odd inconvenience for better performance and safety on the majority of occasions.

Eg i bang up and down the warrandyte/eltham areas all the time in the quest 13, 11 is easier, but 13 still works.

In fact my ebay 3m cheapie I have tipped twice in the river without warning, wouldn't have happened in the other yaks.

Short yaks are more raft like in properties, They feel stable then suddenly tip without much warning
Joshua

Post by Joshua »

I have my eye on a 4.1 meter L'Attitude in orange thats used for $300, I know it's difficult to tell without sitting in it, but would that be more suited to what i want to do? I'm keen to get started, but like has been mentioned, safety is most important. And if i don't feel safe, i wont enjoy myself.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Seasherpa »

Joshua wrote:I have my eye on a 4.1 meter L'Attitude in orange thats used for $300, I know it's difficult to tell without sitting in it, but would that be more suited to what i want to do? I'm keen to get started, but like has been mentioned, safety is most important. And if i don't feel safe, i wont enjoy myself.
If you are watching this one:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LAttitude-4- ... 2edd2e2fa6

The railblaza rod holders are in the wrong place for paddling and will block your paddle stroke. From the looks of the setup I'd say the previous owner used a leccy and didn't paddle so the rod holder position wasn't important to them. Not saying don't buy it, just something to consider.
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

If a rod holder mount, especially a recessed one is in the wrong place you just instll new ones where you want them, then you have options. Not expensive or difficult to do.

That looks like one of those low profile yaks, so expect it to be a wettish ride. But yes, if you can get something like that it is better than a 3m one. Second hand can always be resold for little loss if you want to upgrade later.
Galey
Lord of the fish
kayak: Ok Frenzy

Post by Galey »

I have railblaza mounts in pretty much the same spot on my little yak after a bit of non thinking pimping but now they make for another camera angle so not a complete loss. Best of luck with your search.