Help with a cheap Ebay Yak

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Help with a cheap Ebay Yak

Post by laneends »

i wouldn't touch the front one as you will find it inconvenient access on water anyway. My ebay yak had the 6" screws hatches like yours and they are pretty awkward to use. Pack light and use a well organized crate & fish bag strapped to nose of yak.
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

Joshua wrote:Cheers jay, I hadn't thought of that! Overall it seems like a fairly decent kayak for the price. I'm thinking I should wait a while as I'm sure cutting it out will void the warranty
Don't do any mods until you've been out in the water at least once.

You should be able to get away with a few sinkers, some hooks and swivel and some bait, one rod and away you go. Do that after you've had a bit of a paddle to ensure you don't roll it.

Read up on the safety section if you haven't already, get a PFD even if you think you're a great swimmer. To give you an idea, I swim the pier to pub and am an ex life saver but I wouldn't go out without one.

Good luck and happy fishing.
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

hammertym wrote: get a PFD even if you think you're a great swimmer. To give you an idea, I swim the pier to pub and am an ex life saver but I wouldn't go out without one.
Another good reason for having a PFD is that it's illegal to be on the water without one in Victoria.
0408 565 763
Joshua
The force is strong in this one
kayak: 2011 Red AI - 2014 Dune Outback

Post by Joshua »

I wouldn't be looking to access the front hatch while on the water, it's more so I can store stuff in there for overnight camping trips.

Thanks guys, I took it out for the second time today to practice tipping and re-entry.
I'm fairly fit and able so re entry is easy enough, I've watched a dozen different videos on how to do it and found the way that works best for me. The tipping point is fairly obvious too, which is nice, so no nasty surprises (this is obviously without any gear in the yak.

Yes I already have a pfd, but it's only a horse shoe type, I'd prefer one that hugs the body a little better and doesn't need to be inflated.

Fortunately law in Victoria is one of my strong points ;)

I went out today at hazlewood pondage, there were a few jet skis and boats about, and I'm glad I decided to get the Orange yak in the end as it makes you much more visible. I'll probably add a flag in the future for a little more piece of mind.

I'm looking forward to taking it out at rosebud next week with dad with a couple of rods and some bait.
I will be building a crate for it soon as I learn what suits me best.

I even convinced my wife to get in and have a turn!
Best catch - Stingray on a hard-body
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

For a cheap flag, pole/tube of some sort & cut up a high viz vest from $2 shop.

Just check one thing. Look in the bottom of any recessed rod holders and see if there is any drain holes. Proper yak ones shouldn't have one but it they have used a boat holder type there may be. My first yak let in water and took me ages to realize this was why. Hole drained into hull :wtf: Sealed it up with a bit of silicone.

Most common cause of tipping these is suddenly reaching around to grab rods in rear holders, especially if they are falling in as you react quickly. This is because they have short back ends so it is easy to tip this way. I did it twice without any warning.
Joshua

Post by Joshua »

Thanks lane, yeah I remember your post (I read most of the forum in anticipation for getting my first yak) that was one of the first things I checked. The plastic rivets that hold them on had holes through the center, so I filled them.
I had my mate in the yak today (110kgs) put the scupper plugs in and filled the yak with water, he paddled around for a bit and after our session on the water the hull had about a tea spoon of water in it, so it's getting in somewhere, albeit slowly I just have to work out where.
Hammertime
Lord of the fish

Post by Hammertime »

shane wrote:
hammertym wrote: get a PFD even if you think you're a great swimmer. To give you an idea, I swim the pier to pub and am an ex life saver but I wouldn't go out without one.
Another good reason for having a PFD is that it's illegal to be on the water without one in Victoria.
thats another good reason. although some people dont care about the law
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Joshua wrote:Thanks lane, yeah I remember your post (I read most of the forum in anticipation for getting my first yak) that was one of the first things I checked. The plastic rivets that hold them on had holes through the center, so I filled them.
I had my mate in the yak today (110kgs) put the scupper plugs in and filled the yak with water, he paddled around for a bit and after our session on the water the hull had about a tea spoon of water in it, so it's getting in somewhere, albeit slowly I just have to work out where.
Dont get too obsessed about it, in practice opening and closing hatches (when you dont have moulded ones like yours) etc you always get something in there
Hammertime
Lord of the fish

Post by Hammertime »

laneends wrote:
Joshua wrote:Thanks lane, yeah I remember your post (I read most of the forum in anticipation for getting my first yak) that was one of the first things I checked. The plastic rivets that hold them on had holes through the center, so I filled them.
Dont get too obsessed about it, in practice opening and closing hatches (when you dont have moulded ones like yours) etc you always get something in there
And keep in mind if it's a warm day with some humidity in the air, when you close it up and put it on the cold water, that humidity will cause condensation that will then role down the internal sides and cause you to think you may have a leak.
Joshua

Post by Joshua »

Cheers hammer, I wont worry about it too much then.

So general consensus is to not cut the bucket out?