Bait fishing for flathead?

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Bait fishing for flathead?

Post by Tim399 »

Hi guys im not sure where this question actually belongs in the forum, so move it elsewhere if you feel it fits.
Ive searched the forum for my answer but i couldnt find it (and the results for "flathead hook" came up with some 358 pages worth)

Ive entered myself in the pirtek comp (my first "comp" although i just want to get out and fish :D ), so i will be targeting flathead as ive never had a crack at bream. I have only fished lures for flathead and have no idea when it comes to bait tackle. Im keen to try my luck at bait fishing for flathead so my questions to you guys are:
1. What style hook do you guys use? Are circles no good on flathead?
2. What size seems to be good on your average sized flathead? (If i dont get a massive one id like a feed of good sized fish)
3. What type of rig is good for drifting with a drift chute out? Paternoster?

I apologise if these questions have already been asked, i had a search but didnt want to sift through 357 pages of information to find the 358th page had what i wanted :)

Thanks
Tim
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Re: Bait fishing for flathead?

Post by Seasherpa »

I personally don't use circles on the flatties, I usually run a bait rig on the drift while flicking plastics. Paternoster rig, I use pretty much the same setup as for whiting but shorter shank hooks. I think the weight bouncing on the sand bottom attracts them. In terms of bait squid, pippi and pilly all work provided you can get them past the micro pinkies! Don't stress too much about hook size as the flatties have bucket mouths and the tiny ones often swallow lures bigger than themselves.
joffarob
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA 14 Dune

Post by joffarob »

I use paternoster rigs with small circles and find they work well, I've caught micro flatties all the way up to 50cm flatties on them, I like the smaller hooks because sometimes I get whiting as a by-catch. Just remember if you haven't use circles before not to strike let the fish set the hook.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

I'd go a paternoster with say 1/0 or 2/0 circles.

Have a search of some of Smish's posts for tips, he's a bit of a master at bagging flatties on the drift.
0408 565 763
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

Thanks for the speedy replies fellas, the sinker bouncing along the sand theory makes sense to me. Ill try some circles and the other style of hook and see what works for me on the day. Ill check out smish's posts now :)

Thanks again
Tim
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

I use paternosters with longish length to sinker, so bottom hook doesn't drag on bottom or wrap around sinker. Then I use a #2/0 circle on bottom hook and #6 circle on upper hook. Either hook will catch flatties, smaller hook can pick other by catch. if micro pinkies are plaguing you use two larger hooks. I also use 20lb line through to the 3 way swivels and 10lb (dont need these rating, its just what i have, just make terminals lighter than main) to each hook and sinker. so if you snag up you only loose respective hook or sinker. I use premade leaders attached to main with a snap, so I can change to a spare rig and keep fishing when I get break offs. Then re rig broken leader at leisure. Dont use pyramid sinkers they will weed up and snag too easy. I use bean sinkers with line fed through to snap under so I can add extra bomb sinker if necc.

If its not too rough I drift sideways with chute in middle, rod out front., middle and back. Plus SP rod out the other side into drift direction. Net flatties in water as they jump off hooks easier once out of water. Lip grips to avoid being spiked.

If you find too many rods with paternosters causes too many tangles, any rig eg running sinker will do. moving from spot to spot with rigged paternosters can tangle with sinkers swinging.

For baits any regulars will catch flatties. Squid tenticles on the smaller circles act like SPs
Fishingmad
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie pro angler 14

Post by Fishingmad »

My favourite bait is sauries the flatties live it also I use the whiting flashers rigs with the long shank hooks that can be bought from rig master tackle
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Fishingmad wrote:My favourite bait is sauries the flatties live it also I use the whiting flashers rigs with the long shank hooks that can be bought from rig master tackle
although sauries are good my favourite flatty bait is flatty -- pretty good snapper bait to
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

I drift using a running sinker as Flathead are generally caught on the bottom hook of a paternoster, they feed close to the bottom.

Bluebait or prawn work well!
Timi200
Apprentice
kayak: 2014 outback/2014 oasis both Ivory dune

Post by Timi200 »

Blue bait works beat for me, but very hard ti fish with bait this time of the year, micro pinkies are in force