Not much $$$$

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Re: Not much $$$$

Post by choppers »

hey mate, welcome to vyak.
im my experience and opinion and im no expert , go for a known brand and make that other yak fishos use. for around 600 u can get a decent known capable yak. possibily second hand could be a great option, less $ and the yak may be set up to some extent. i payed 700 for my ocean kayak prowler 4.5m and it was a bargain. first buy was impules buy, 400 for a sit in type. great fun but not really safe.
no idea on the one u showed but it looks like the generic "ebay" job.
anyway have fun, consider the extra $ it will take until u can be on the water fishing. and where u from where u plan on fhishing?
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
jamie2johnston
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie 2012 Outback - Red

Post by jamie2johnston »

Hey Choppers
Thanks for the feedback i will be fishing everywhere from lakes entrance all the way to Geelong i live in Melbourne but have fished my whole young life but i work in real estate and now i want to really get into a hobby and fishing has taken preference.
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

This might also be worth a look if it is still available:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/melbourn ... 1074221154

They have been replaced by the newer faster prowler models but it is a great all rounder for the bay and river bashing so long as you are prepared to have a wet bum.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

jamie2johnston wrote:Anyone heard of these http://www.2monks.com.au/dace-desert-camo-1/
They look value for money!!!
Pretty much the same has tims got, you see the same/similar thing under many brand names, on Ebay & BCF have a version. They are the best bang for bucks, probably better handling but less storage and fisho ready. These yaks will be heavy and slightly more barge like compared to te more expensive ones. But they have the length and hence better saftey wh\en it get rough.

Next up the ladder is the wavedance kingfisher around $800 and Aquayak ranger at just over $1000 I think.

I have one of those little yaks, which was my first one. Frankly not much more than toys, they will flip easy if it gets lumpy and you will struggle to point it in a straight line if it blows up, may not even be able to make headway. Too dangerous on the bay in my opinion. You would be looking to upgrade ASAP and not be able to offload it..

(To which end i have a banana yellow one sitting around gathering spiders if anyones looking for a creek basher)
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Post by Franko »

kustom kayaks look ok value not sure how they perform tho? www.kustomkayaks.com.au
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

bop34 wrote:kustom kayaks look ok value not sure how they perform tho? http://www.kustomkayaks.com.au
laneends wrote:
I have one of those little yaks, which was my first one. Frankly not much more than toys, they will flip easy if it gets lumpy and you will struggle to point it in a straight line if it blows up, may not even be able to make headway. Too dangerous on the bay in my opinion.
Listen to Laneends. Look at the specs. 2.7 metres and 130 kg and 2.77 metres and 90 kg. Neither comfortable nor particularly safe to fish from in anything but flat water and the closer you get to (what is probably an arbitrarily derived weight capacity) the less stable they get.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

wokka1 wrote:
bop34 wrote:kustom kayaks look ok value not sure how they perform tho? http://www.kustomkayaks.com.au
laneends wrote:
I have one of those little yaks, which was my first one. Frankly not much more than toys, they will flip easy if it gets lumpy and you will struggle to point it in a straight line if it blows up, may not even be able to make headway. Too dangerous on the bay in my opinion.
Listen to Laneends. Look at the specs. 2.7 metres and 130 kg and 2.77 metres and 90 kg. Neither comfortable nor particularly safe to fish from in anything but flat water and the closer you get to (what is probably an arbitrarily derived weight capacity) the less stable they get.
They are too short in the arse too. Even on dead flat water, twist around to grab a rod thats about to fall out of holder and you are in the water with no warning. I did it twice :oops: No secondary stability =no warning its close to tipping.
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Post by Franko »

laneends wrote:
wokka1 wrote:
laneends wrote:
They are too short in the arse too. Even on dead flat water, twist around to grab a rod thats about to fall out of holder and you are in the water with no warning. I did it twice :oops: No secondary stability =no warning its close to tipping.

Great review..... Seems like the smartest thing to do is stick to the name brands, stay away from brand yaks under a $1000. Im using a cobra tourer at the moment but am hunting for another chariot maybe another cobra or ocean kayak which I know about I have seen scorpio aswell.
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

I wouldn't dismiss no namers out of hand. It's more about the spec and being fit for purpose. Most of the no namers are based on a known Brand and model anyway so as long as the quality control is there in manufacture you should be OK. But that opens up another issue...what if you buy an ebay cheapy and the quality control isn't there...what will after market service be like ?

Small Yaks have a place...my 3 m sit in gets me into areas I can't get a bigger yak either because of sketchy launch sites or skinny water. These are minimal gear trips so weight capacity ain't a problem and there is barely ever more than a ripple on the water. But I wouldn't take it out on the bay. And you will get onto a secondhand name brand (Wavedance kingfisher and others) for well under $ 1000.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other