How much anchor rope

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
mazman
Lord of the fish
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher and 2015 Hobie Outback

How much anchor rope

Post by mazman »

Hi guys, have been searching around for a while and i can't find what i'm looking for, I know i've seen it somewhere on here i just don't know where. Anyway what i'm looking for is a general rule for how much anchor rope i need, I understand there will probably be a different rule for WP and PPB so one for each would be great. something along the lines of xm of rope for every metre of water you're in. Thanks heaps for any help.

Cheers Alex
Facebook page: Hawkesy Fishing
Youtube: Hawkesy Fishing
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: How much anchor rope

Post by shane »

mazman wrote:Hi guys, have been searching around for a while and i can't find what i'm looking for, I know i've seen it somewhere on here i just don't know where. Anyway what i'm looking for is a general rule for how much anchor rope i need, I understand there will probably be a different rule for WP and PPB so one for each would be great. something along the lines of xm of rope for every metre of water you're in. Thanks heaps for any help.

Cheers Alex
I generally go with 2.5 to 3X depth plus chain.
0408 565 763
mazman
Lord of the fish
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher and 2015 Hobie Outback

Post by mazman »

Thanks shane, I'm using a 1.5kg anchor what length of chain and what weight should i be using for this. Does this amount change between bays?
Facebook page: Hawkesy Fishing
Youtube: Hawkesy Fishing
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

You only need a metre or two of chain, the chain isnt there to weigh the anchor down it is there to change the angle of the rope and therefore the lie of your anchor.
In its not really a WP or PPB thing its more of a current/tidal flow issue. You can have weak and strong in both bays. If you are finding it hard to hold bottom instead of adding more chain you just have to move the chain up along the rope away from the anchor. This will cause the anchor to lie over more and bed in better.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

I use about 50m of 4mm rope, cheap from ebay rarely get near having it all out except in maybe 15m of high flow. About 700mm of chain, 1.5kg anchor. I also have spare 1.25kg weight plate which I can optionally attached to top of chain with D shackle for higher flow areas. Leave it off when not required.

Bear in mind in high flow rate if you have a few rods out and they are picking up weed they can increase chance of dragging anchor. I also raise rudder in higher flows (if you have one). otherwise it turns and increases drag to one side. less drag= less anchoring requirement.

Make sure you have a decent trolley ring or clip. Those plastic Hobie ones are repurposed seat clips and can let go. Not fun if currents running hard

if you go thin rope it can be hard on the hands if its stuck and you have to haul on it, again worse in strong tide flow. Keep that it mind
Fish Grylls
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revo

Post by Fish Grylls »

I have three anchor setups. One with 20m of rope, 1.5 kg sand anchor, 2 meters chain which is ok for most of the WP whiting fishing. Another setup the 'Don't Argue' has 40m of line, same anchor but a much heavier 2m chain, stops me in pretty much any current in WP up to 20m but much harder to pull up which is why I favour the first unless I really need it. Not a fan of the grapnel style anchors, never going back to them after using the small sand anchors. Another anchor is basically a dumbbell on a short rope, this is useful when squid fishing over weed beds, you can lift it up and down many times and it does not damage the weed beds as much.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Fish Grylls wrote: Another anchor is basically a dumbbell on a short rope, this is useful when squid fishing over weed beds, you can lift it up and down many times and it does not damage the weed beds as much.
I sometimes use the grapnel like this sometimes by not opening it. Useful also if you are drifting and the breeze is to strong for a drift chute alone to cope
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

Diver's reels make great anchor lines. They take up minimal spacehave strong,thin line;make it easy to retrieve line; and, store without tangling. Search ebay. Try to find one with the length of line you need via eBay.

A good one will have ratchet with a clip to let you easily release of stop the release of line

FishnDive wrote: If you are finding it hard to hold bottom instead of adding more chain you just have to move the chain up along the rope away from the anchor. This will cause the anchor to lie over more and bed in better.
Good tip!

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

[quote="SteveR]
FishnDive wrote: If you are finding it hard to hold bottom instead of adding more chain you just have to move the chain up along the rope away from the anchor. This will cause the anchor to lie over more and bed in better.
Good tip![/quote]

Credit goes to Cheater for that one.