Paddling a tandem

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
jamie2johnston
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie 2012 Outback - Red

Paddling a tandem

Post by jamie2johnston »

hey guys i am willing to spend more money but i am wondering if its much difference paddling or peddling a tandem yak when your alone??
Windknot
Lord of the fish
kayak: Malibu Mini X & Native Watercraft Propel

Re: Paddling a tandem

Post by Windknot »

Most of them aren't good to paddle or pedal by yourself, especially if it's windy. A pedal yak would probably be better as you could use the rudder. The Hobie Kona has a special mid paddling position that can be used when paddling solo, which makes it a lot better than most.
There's only a fine distinction between fly fishing and standing on the bank looking like an idiot.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

jamie2johnston wrote:hey guys i am willing to spend more money but i am wondering if its much difference paddling or peddling a tandem yak when your alone??
If you have use for a tandem and its in your price then someone :evilgrin: on here is selling one, you may as well pick that up and then if it proves not to your liking you can on sell without loosing money lost likely. If you don't have use for one, dont compromise.
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

laneends wrote:
jamie2johnston wrote:hey guys i am willing to spend more money but i am wondering if its much difference paddling or peddling a tandem yak when your alone??
If you have use for a tandem and its in your price then someone :evilgrin: on here is selling one, you may as well pick that up and then if it proves not to your liking you can on sell without loosing money lost likely. If you don't have use for one, dont compromise.
I also imagine if you are going to go solo you probably want to be in the front position, easier to pull the tail straight than push the nose. You'd definitely want a rudder though
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

Some of the "better" yaks are what they call a 2+1 meaning it has the tandem setup but you also can place a seat in the middle so it can be used by one without having to worry about the bow ridding high.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

hammertym wrote: I also imagine if you are going to go solo you probably want to be in the front position, easier to pull the tail straight than push the nose. You'd definitely want a rudder though
From what I've seen most people sit in the back with some ballast up front - bag of sand or water that you can tip out at the beach when you leave.