ppb winter

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

ppb winter

Post by Franko »

First season fishing out of a yak so i am keen on knowing what members favorite species and areas are for winter fishing ppb. My thoughts are soaking baits throwing lures at shallow reefs. Im not after G.P.S marks just an idea what areas are worth searching around and the species i may encounter. I can go to my usual boat areas but being in a yak new techniques and waters are what i am after.
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
Kingo
Lord of the fish
kayak: Olive Hobie Pro Angler 12

Re: ppb winter

Post by Kingo »

Winter for me is plastics on the inshore reefs for pinkies and plastics and surface lures for fat winter salmon mostly around ricketts
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Winter for me is mainly squid, gummys, sharks, salmon and southern bluefin tuna. Of these gummies and squid are probably the most accessible year round species. For both of these last 2, WP is the best with reef island a good spot for both.
0408 565 763
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Keep a slug loaded to throw at salmon schools when you see them. Flatties are usually available. squid

There were schools of Salmon at Millers this morning, kept moving though so it was hard to catch up with them. Nothing else around.

I think you have to keep moving sitting put soaking baits can be soul destroying, and cold..

As for where, tell me when you work it out.I know its not usually where I am at.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

shane wrote:Winter for me is mainly squid, gummys, sharks, salmon and southern bluefin tuna. Of these gummies and squid are probably the most accessible year round species. For both of these last 2, WP is the best with reef island a good spot for both.
Have to agree Gummies and some winter snapper as by catch in Westernport and of cause Winter Whiting and normaly larger so Balnarring - and Ventnor are worth a look
Squid are also normaly bigger over winter and early spring
Can't help much with PPB
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Post by Franko »

Thanks gents, i have heard Ricketts is the yak hot spot.I would love to try wp do you guys only fish slack tied ? Trolling slugs for salmon i have been doing around port melb with no luck yet. My first thought was drifting a flicking plastics or vibes Whilst soaking a bait this will cover as much ground with variety. Sounder is next on the bucket list so i know whats under me.
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Agree with the others that WP is generally better in winter for bait fishing. If you like tolling there are also trout in the fresh this time of year. When the salmon are about I have done better casting into them when they are busting up rather than trolling around. Slugs and white soft plastics are good options.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

bop34 wrote:Thanks gents, i have heard Ricketts is the yak hot spot.I would love to try wp do you guys only fish slack tied ? Sounder is next on the bucket list so i know whats under me.
We fish Westernport in though all tide times not just slack tide -- you will need an anchor and an anchor trolley and do some practice of using it in low tide flow areas
Not all of WP has high tide flows so try these places first
Reef Island -- Coronet Bay -- and maybe Grantville or LL/JJ for a gummy Check the launch sites section for best time times to launch and return

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=75

one thing that helps a lot in WP is a sounder to find the channels and drop offs
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

cheaterparts wrote:
bop34 wrote:Thanks gents, i have heard Ricketts is the yak hot spot.I would love to try wp do you guys only fish slack tied ? Sounder is next on the bucket list so i know whats under me.
We fish Westernport in though all tide times not just slack tide -- you will need an anchor and an anchor trolley and do some practice of using it in low tide flow areas
Not all of WP has high tide flows so try these places first
Reef Island -- Coronet Bay -- and maybe Grantville or LL/JJ for a gummy Check the launch sites section for best time times to launch and return

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=75

one thing that helps a lot in WP is a sounder to find the channels and drop offs
unless you are kiwi dundee :lol:
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Port Melbournes not the best as there is no structure to hold fish. keep an eye out for bird action to indicate salmon bust ups. Keeping a metal slug rigged and handy is best for those as you can cast it a fair distance with quick retrieve.

Around broken ground you have the squid and often salmon, with occasional pinkies

Sounder is a must or you will loose lures and anchors around reefs.

Try ricketts or across to williamstown/gellibrand

keep an eye on trip reports to see what is turning up where.