Ouback vs Pa12 Yeah i know i know...

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
sputnik
The force is strong in this one
kayak: 2015 Hobie Outback

Ouback vs Pa12 Yeah i know i know...

Post by sputnik »

hi there guys, I'm looking at buying either an outback or pa12 2015 within the next few weeks although im a little stuck. I plan on fishing the easturies a lot but would also like to go out into westernport around ventnor etc as well as portphillip. Now from what i have read so far the Pro anglers can have some trouble in rougher waters. What is your opinions on this? Hows the stability on the outbacks and do they get much water in the foot well? Lastly how do you guys strap your yaks to the roof? i just bought some rhino racks and trying to figure out the best way to strap it.
Kingo
Lord of the fish
kayak: Olive Hobie Pro Angler 12

Re: Ouback vs Pa12 Yeah i know i know...

Post by Kingo »

I've had both get the pa you'll never look back
Redmullet
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Yella PA 14 & red sit inside

Post by Redmullet »

Kingo wrote:I've had both get the pa you'll never look back
X 2 and use a trailer with all your gear saves your back and keeps the salt off your car

Redmullet
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

2015 outback. Roof tops easily - I have mine on some thule cradles on rhino bars which lets me leave everything in it set up with room for the sport next to it. If it was a pre 2015 outback vs angler then I would say angler but the new outback has a dry well area and the new seat whilst still light enough to car top which means no queues come snapper season.

I have to admit some bias :yahoo:

Seriously though if car topping is important as is price, weight and more seaworthyness (sp?) than an outback is for you.

If weight, price and size matters not, then don't buy a PA12 - grab a PA14 instead. More capacity. More space and more area for a live well, rod storage, two (or one larger) battery. You are almost as big as a small tinny.

If I had a bucket of cash, I'd go a sport and a Adventure Island. Sport for skinny waters and lake. AI for everything else ;)
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

Take them for a test run, most of the Hobie dealers have days when they do this.

Go the PA12, I have a PA and an Oasis (tandem) when I get into the Oasis I find it so restrictive in just being able to put something down without having to worry where it may end up.
The 15 outback will be better with the new seat as I found the Oasis seat inhibits your ability to twist your ass on the seat as easy as the PA.

I use both the Oasis and PA in westernport often, the PA 15 now has the retractable skeg which from all accounts helps dramatically with the rough water tractability, getting a good gummy in the PA is a lot more civil and enjoyable than the Oasis.

If the weight factor is an issue you may have to consider the Outback though.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

sputnik wrote:hi there guys, I'm looking at buying either an outback or pa12 2015 within the next few weeks although im a little stuck. I plan on fishing the easturies a lot but would also like to go out into westernport around ventnor etc as well as portphillip. Now from what i have read so far the Pro anglers can have some trouble in rougher waters. What is your opinions on this? Hows the stability on the outbacks and do they get much water in the foot well? Lastly how do you guys strap your yaks to the roof? i just bought some rhino racks and trying to figure out the best way to strap it.
I'm rocking a 2015 Outback and love it. It's a lot lighter than the PA (and somewhat cheaper) and I put mine on the roof of my rav4. It takes a fair bit of strength to muscle it up onto the roof but its pretty solid.

I've attached a very crude picture of how I fix mine. Don't use ratchet straps they will deform the hull.

I use something like this

http://www.bunnings.com.au/grunt-25mm-x ... p_p4310166

But the one rated for 800kg I think, which is massive overkill but I like the extra thickness.

Whatever you choose you'll love it. The 2015 models are awesome. Don't put too many mods on to start with until you've been out a few times, you'll quickly know what you do and don't need. :)
Attachments
hobie_fixing.png
hobie_fixing.png (9.29 KiB) Viewed 2564 times
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

The other consideration is rod holders etc and wether you wish to remove them or not.

Most transport their Outbacks bottom up where as the PA goes deck up, I know taking all the rod holders off is a PITA to load the Oasis (I now have a trailer).

I actually found the PA easier to load on the roof compared to the Oasis as the PA end is square it is more stable with the nose up in the air as the Oasis end is round it wants to roll around a lot when you manoeuvre it into position on the racks.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
sputnik
The force is strong in this one
kayak: 2015 Hobie Outback

Post by sputnik »

hammertym wrote:
sputnik wrote:hi there guys, I'm looking at buying either an outback or pa12 2015 within the next few weeks although im a little stuck. I plan on fishing the easturies a lot but would also like to go out into westernport around ventnor etc as well as portphillip. Now from what i have read so far the Pro anglers can have some trouble in rougher waters. What is your opinions on this? Hows the stability on the outbacks and do they get much water in the foot well? Lastly how do you guys strap your yaks to the roof? i just bought some rhino racks and trying to figure out the best way to strap it.
I'm rocking a 2015 Outback and love it. It's a lot lighter than the PA (and somewhat cheaper) and I put mine on the roof of my rav4. It takes a fair bit of strength to muscle it up onto the roof but its pretty solid.

I've attached a very crude picture of how I fix mine. Don't use ratchet straps they will deform the hull.

But the one rated for 800kg I think, which is massive overkill but I like the extra thickness.

Whatever you choose you'll love it. The 2015 models are awesome. Don't put too many mods on to start with until you've been out a few times, you'll quickly know what you do and don't need. :)

Cheers for the response. Do you take yours out in the bay at all? does it handle find in a little bit of chop? Also do you feel the need to strap the front and back down or just in the middle? bottom up on the racks?
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

I rooftop my PA14 and have no trouble doing it quickly and easily. Once you have a suitable system worked out it can be a breeze and simply achieved.

You will see a lot of people saying a PA is no good in rough conditions. They have their opinions and they're entitled to them. My personal experience only is that I regularly use my PA in some extremely rough conditions (that many may balk at) both in the bays and offshore. I find it very stable and capable even in rough windy conditions and the extra stability and capability is one of the main reasons I upgraded (along with extra space/fishability).

While I and others will all have valid opinions the one that matters most is your own. By all means take on board the advice of others but then go and try both out and see what you prefer. Also don't discount a PA14 over a 12, the extra length could make a big difference in how it handles conditions.
0408 565 763
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

sputnik wrote:
hammertym wrote:

Cheers for the response. Do you take yours out in the bay at all? does it handle find in a little bit of chop? Also do you feel the need to strap the front and back down or just in the middle? bottom up on the racks?
I've had mine out off Lorne, I go in the bay frequently.

The chop it handles not too bad, but in my opinion you don't really want to go out in chop, its not overly enjoyable to fish in, well not in the bay anyways.

With a big boat, you fish on your days off, with a kayak, imho, you fish on your days off when the weather permits.
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona