My new (second hand) Prowler 4.5

Show off your kayak!
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

My new (second hand) Prowler 4.5

Post by 4liters »

Took it out on Lilydale Lake this morning, I really like the ride. It tracked well, so much so that I was able to drift at an angle to the wind when the hull was perpendicular to the wind direction. I stayed pretty dry apart from water coming in the scuppers and dripping off the paddles. I haven't tried any other kayaks so I have nothing to compare it to but it felt fast and stable. I gave it a few wobbles from side to side in the shallows to see how much I could push it and didn't come close to tipping it. I think I'd need to be pretty careless in poor conditions to fall out. The wind picked up a bit and whipped up some small waves (maybe 20cm from top to bottom) but I never really felt them.

I'll do another couple of trips on the lake while I get used to paddling, using the sounder, dropping anchor, deploying the drift chute, and casting; I figure I'm less likely to get into trouble on the lake than I am on the bays.

However there are still a few things that need attention and hopefully there are some people here who can help:

The forward hatch is missing and while I have the water proof cloth cover I don't think I want to head out on the bay without the hard cover.
I think this is the one but I'm not 100% sure: http://boatoz.com.au/index.php/canoes-k ... h-lid.html
They say they fit a Prowler but I don't know if all Prowler models have the same size bow hatches, does anyone know if that size hatch will do? Or better yet have a spare one they want to sell?

Would it be a bad idea to cut the bottom out of this round hatch?

I figure I can store a lot more tackle and equipment in the hull (I thought I could use velcro tape to stop everything from sliding out of reach). I assume the hatch lid is pretty water proof and there is no issue with water getting into the hull if I go ahead with this.

I was hoping to attach a couple of star ports for rod holders just forward of the flush rod holders and around the cockpit, but the flat surface around the edge of the cockpit isn't as wide as the star port attachments. Is there a work around for this, like a rectangular attachment or something? If it will be too much of a pain I'll just put them up in front of the cockpit

Finally, there are a lot of pad eyes missing from various places around the yak, none of them are critical but I think I'd like a few of them replaced
Does anyone know what model I need for this kayak, and what screws I'll need to get?

I still have a few other things to buy before I hit the ocean too, if anyone wants to make recommendations that'd be most welcome otherwise I'll just get something cheap:
A bilge pump
Spare paddle
An esky to fit the rear storage area
A vest or PDF with a lot of storage pockets
Leashes (saw some on ebay I think I'll grab)
A paddle leash
Small tackle trays

Anyway, that's my new toy. Good to finally be able to get out on the water.
Cheers,
Ian
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: My new (second hand) Prowler 4.5

Post by laneends »

Good foundation, its a popular yak so there will plenty of examples of mods to be found on the net.

If you want to use mounts on the side when there is not much width, the ideal is to use tracks. No cheap but very neat and flexible. That forward scotty mount would be ideal for a scotty triple mount set up (google it), if you can find one.

If you store in hull velcro wont be sufficient. try a sheet of plastic garden mesh and zip tie a pool too far forward or back. Having an open mesh means its flexible to insert, attach noodles after inserting. Open mesh also means you can also sponge up any water in hull.

Use correct front hatch, when crashing through waves if you dont get right seal you can take on a surprising amount of water.

You might find that trolley you have a pain trying to remove it from under the yak when its fully loaded, it gets stuck.

Don't attach any rod holders until you are 100% certain they wont foul you paddle stroke

Let the fun begin
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Post by Franko »

Congrats i love my ocean kayak
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

Think u will find the front mount is too far out of reach for rod holders. Pm me ur number if u want Il txt pics of my rod holders...
The pad eyes on mine are never used.. And yes the front hatch needs the plastic cover so u don't take on water with waves or a roll over. They seen stable, next min ur upside down if not careful... I can measure my front hatch cover if u want dimensions...
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
4liters
PHD in Yakology.

Post by 4liters »

laneends wrote: If you want to use mounts on the side when there is not much width, the ideal is to use tracks. No cheap but very neat and flexible. That forward scotty mount would be ideal for a scotty triple mount set up (google it), if you can find one.
I was going to leave that Scotty mount where it is, I have three Railblaza rod holders and a handful of star ports I picked up cheap at BCF that that I was thinking I could use. What track should I get for them? I couldn't see any track on their website, just the kits for attaching things to it.
If you store in hull velcro wont be sufficient. try a sheet of plastic garden mesh and zip tie a pool too far forward or back. Having an open mesh means its flexible to insert, attach noodles after inserting. Open mesh also means you can also sponge up any water in hull.
I can't really picture this set up in my mind. Can you explain it a bit more?
Don't attach any rod holders until you are 100% certain they wont foul you paddle stroke
Yeah, I was thinking that the rod holders near the seat would only be used when I was drifting; when I was paddling somewhere I'd stow them up towards the front, leaving just the star port mount which hopefully wouldn't get in the way.

Cheers
4liters
PHD in Yakology.

Post by 4liters »

I was also thinking about putting a two or three flush mount rod holders just behind the seat to store stuff like a light, landing net, and a gaff; I'm not sure if it will cause problems having too many of them close together though
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

4liters wrote:I was also thinking about putting a two or three flush mount rod holders just behind the seat to store stuff like a light, landing net, and a gaff; I'm not sure if it will cause problems having too many of them close together though
Crate or esky with PVC tubes attached is easier and cheaper. Don't drill holes unless you have to in case you change your mind.

New topic uploaded re mesh storage.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.

Post by 4liters »

laneends wrote:
4liters wrote:I was also thinking about putting a two or three flush mount rod holders just behind the seat to store stuff like a light, landing net, and a gaff; I'm not sure if it will cause problems having too many of them close together though
Crate or esky with PVC tubes attached is easier and cheaper. Don't drill holes unless you have to in case you change your mind.

New topic uploaded re mesh storage.
Thanks for uploading that, clears it up a lot.

I'm hoping to avoid having bits of PVC hanging off the kayak if I can. Flush mounts seem pretty cheap, the only issue is finding some that are vertical instead of on an angle.
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

Gday ian, nice first yak there :thumbsup: im pretty sure bcf has vertical flush mounts. They are usually in the boating area rather than the kayak area.

Tim
4liters
PHD in Yakology.

Post by 4liters »

Found them, thanks for that.