My new (second hand) Prowler 4.5

Show off your kayak!
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Re: My new (second hand) Prowler 4.5

Post by Seasherpa »

4liters wrote:Found them, thanks for that.
Just be aware that rod holders for boats have holes in the bottom to drain onto the deck. Ones designed for kayaks have sealed bottoms. You can always plug up boat ones with silicone.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

FishnDive wrote:
4liters wrote:Found them, thanks for that.
Just be aware that rod holders for boats have holes in the bottom to drain onto the deck. Ones designed for kayaks have sealed bottoms. You can always plug up boat ones with silicone.
Yep my Ebay cheapy Ebay yak had the former, took a while to find where the "leak" was :roll:

Keep in mind recessed holders will leave your reels exposed to more salt water splashing without extensions
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Yeah, I was thinking of using those mainly for storing the net and light pole (when I get one).

I'm still not sure where the rods will go. I'd like them in front, maybe something can be bolted on to the rim of the cockpit to mount the star ports on. The other alternative is to buy a triple rod holder for that Scotty mount but I'd rather not do that seeing as I already have a bunch of rod holders (unless the triple rod holder can take railblaza rod holders).

Anyway, I'll know a bit more by next weekend as I'll take the yak out for another practice run, this time with a rod so I'll be able to see where rods can be places so I can reach them.

If anyone has pictures of a 4.5 Elite you've modified I'd love to see them to get an idea of what can and can't be done, PM me. Mine is a bit limited because it is an older model without that nice long compartment down the middle of the cockpit.
Cheers,
Ian
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by Anthony »

You'll want somewhere to store your rods out of the way when paddling. Most people use a esky or create in the rear well with vertical rod holders attached to the sides or a "rocket launcher" style rod holder behind the seat.

Railblaza have a mount called "sideports" which might be useful for you for the up front rod holders. You can install them on the sides of the footwells if you don't have enough horizontal space for the regular starports.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.

Post by 4liters »

Sideports might work, although if you look at the second picture in the OP there isn't a great deal of room up there, I'd probably kick them off when I used the rudder. I might buy one this week to take out with me so I can see where it might go.

Looks like I might have to have bits of PVC on the esky after all.
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by Anthony »

Switching the scotty mount to a Railblaza Starport HD which would fit into the existing holes from the scotty then using Railblaza's Trackport Dash might also be a good solution. They're a bit pricey though.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.

Post by 4liters »

AP-M wrote:Switching the scotty mount to a Railblaza Starport HD which would fit into the existing holes from the scotty then using Railblaza's Trackport Dash might also be a good solution. They're a bit pricey though.
That's a good idea, thanks. They're $30 cheaper than the Scotty version and I already have a bunch of the starport HD mounts. Not sure where the Scotty rod holder will end up but the Tracport solves most of the issues.
Cheers.
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

Gday Ian,
I looked at the front hatch hard cover today and there is no serial number stamped on it to give u for reference sorry
Ps did u get my text? For some reason I can't sms photos of my setup to you...??
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

choppers wrote:Gday Ian,
I looked at the front hatch hard cover today and there is no serial number stamped on it to give u for reference sorry
Ps did u get my text? For some reason I can't sms photos of my setup to you...??
I tried to send a pic message to you of the scupper plugs yesterday and it failed too rob
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

Oo. Maybe my phone is playing up, Tim I send a pic now to see if that works.. Maybe cause iv blown my data limit this month, it will reset tomorrow
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)