PA Upsize or Downsize

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Re: PA Upsize or Downsize

Post by Anthony »

I use these http://www.thule.com.au/details.php?p_id=534.

On my car the tow hook mounts are behind the bumpers and have a small panel that covers them. I'm fairly sure the Focus has a similar set up. You should see a small square somewhere near the headlights. It would be a pain to take them on and off all the time and there isn't really any other good points on the car to tie down too. The hood loops just get bolted down under the boot and bonnet. I pull them out when I need them and just fold them away when I don't. You should be able to find a bolt that is already there that's in a suitable location to mount them.
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

fishndesign wrote:I have the thule wingbars which are rated to 100kg. Id probably leave all the gear in the boot and just the hull on the roof

Do you think its possible to carry a smaller yak alongside it as well, maybe on j style rack? For when the missus is convinced to come out :evilgrin:

Where do you guys normally tie off the front and rear straps on the car?
Don't think you will fit another yak beside a PA on the roof of a Focus.
On top might be your best option, take the seat off will help.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

I bought the 14 because the guys in Geelong suggested it was the best choice for me at 6 foot 110 + kgs. I carry it on the roof of my BT50. It is a bit of a strain to get it there but it sits beautifully without a nose or tail strap again on the recommendation of the guys at Geelong. Their suggestion was ratchet straps on the bars were sufficient she sits on only 2 of my 3 roof bars (they might be Thule). The Focus is just a tad smaller.....well alot smaller but if the bars are at the right spread the result is the same. I would think that J style racks would allow a second smaller yak plenty of room. Your racks at 100kg swl should be fine for an unloaded yak as they weigh in at about half that. I guess I could make a joke about the strength of shopping trolleys but thats probably not helpful. I would ask the experts to confirm though.
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
squidgyflicker
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2015 hobie revolution 13

Post by squidgyflicker »

i've had a 14... got sick of lugging it around and pedelling the barge of a thing, omg and talk about hard to steer in choppy conditions....i've bought a revo now....kinda sounds like i bought a jeep don't it lmao
fishndesign
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Revo 13

Post by fishndesign »

Some great advice there fellas thanks a lot! :) The thule hood loops sound like a good solution to tie it down. Might head down to SLH soon and check the PA's out in the flesh and take them for test ride.
PB's: Snapper 62cm, Flathead 55cm, Gummy Shark 100cm, Pike 98cm, Brown Trout 53cm
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Post by Rhino »

fishndesign wrote:Might head down to SLH soon and check the PA's out in the flesh and take them for test ride.
That's your best bet. As Eoin said I've had both, but I can't tell you which one is the best one for you. Only you can do that.
The best one for me was the 14.