Consoles/Dash setup for Stealth 9

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Harps
Apprentice
kayak: 9 ft

Consoles/Dash setup for Stealth 9

Post by Harps »

Another newbie question that consuming way too much of my thoughts...

I bought the Elite 4x Chirp. I am trying to plan ahead before I start drilling away and turning the kayak into swiss cheese. I am therefore looking for suggestions on where and how I should mount the fish finder and also a rod holder(s) in the future. I have googled alot and also searched the various forums. I haven't actually been able to find much specifically for the stealth 9. Its a short kayak. The X-wing looks cool, but expensive and doesn't seem to be available locally.

I need to be able to throw the kayak onto a full length caged roof rack on a 4wd. Therefore I dont really want things getting caugh as I load it on. Already the standard bits get caught as I struggle to get it on the roof. :)

I have talked a friend into helping with the fish finder install. Again, having googled a lot, installing the transducer with loads of silicone looks scary.

Thanks again,
Dave
Last edited by Harps on 25 Jun 2016, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Re: Consoles/Dash setup for Stealth 9

Post by Digger »

here should be plenty of reference here to look up about installing sounders and transducers.

I've done a few and it's really easy so don't be apprehensive about it. Don't rush using it, as things like All Clear take a few days to cure enough, especially in cooler weather.

Do some research and you will be fine.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Mount sounder on console, use hobie wiring to run wires into hull. All clear transducer, battery in a snack box attached under front hatch somehow may be. Rod holder on extension just behind sounder and raised above it. If you want to bring them closer mount sounder on capped PVC pipe fitted into drink holder
Harps
Apprentice

Post by Harps »

Yeap, there is heaps of info on how to install the sounders and transducers. There is some good youtube videos too. Still a little nervous.

I guess my real question is where i should install the head unit. I am also mindful of the perhaps wanting a rod holder in the future. Therefore trying to think ahead on how i want the layout to look. Some of the rod holders look like the rods will hit your legs, etc. That is why I was thinking if need some type of console/dash/multiple rod holder thingy. Apologies if my terminalogy is not correct.
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Post by Franko »

I took my kayak out several times before deciding where and how to mount holders and accessories. I ended up using a ram mount for the finder and railbalaza holders along th pod and behind my seat as there use is not just limited to a rod holder with the extras being platforms and holders of various descriptions. Sounds like your got the right idea taking your time
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
fishndesign
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Revo 13

Post by fishndesign »

Hey Dave, got your pm. I'll upload some photos of my complete setup tomorrow into this thread.

I have the X-wing and find it is good piece of kit. I purchased it from BCF, they had them in stock at the time so maybe have a look around. The whole console slides off the kayak on tracks, it is a bit sticky getting on and off but generally ok. I have my fishfinder mounted on it as well as two rod holders on either side on the console also. I store the battery inside the console which is protected from saltwater. The transducer is silicone'd inside the hull and I have the cable/plug coming straight up through a port (homemade from bits at bunnings) directly beneath the console.

This way I can unplug the transducer cable and remove the whole console with fish finder, rod holders and battery all in one unit - makes it easier to strip down for transport. I'll upload pics to explain clearer.

One thing I will say is the console does get in the way a little when casting/working soft plastics etc. Personally it doesn't hinder me that much but its worth considering. It is great for trolling and bait fishing as the rods are right there in front of you and well clear of the water. You can slide it forward if it gets in the way of your paddle stoke.
PB's: Snapper 62cm, Flathead 55cm, Gummy Shark 100cm, Pike 98cm, Brown Trout 53cm
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

This is two of mine
Attachments
P1000281.JPG
P1000518.JPG
fishndesign
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Revo 13

Post by fishndesign »

Here's my setup with the X-wing console.
Attachments
Stealth_7.jpg
Stealth_6.jpg
Stealth_5.jpg
Stealth_4.jpg
Stealth_3.jpg
Stealth_2.jpg
Stealth_1.jpg
PB's: Snapper 62cm, Flathead 55cm, Gummy Shark 100cm, Pike 98cm, Brown Trout 53cm
Harps
Apprentice

Post by Harps »

Thanks all for the feedback. Many great ideas to consider. This whole kayak thing is very exciting (and a little expensive).
laneends wrote:This is two of mine
I like you setup. What do you do if you gets a couple of bites at once? :) I like the idea of the rod holder on the other side of the sounder. It seems to be out of the way also. Do the side rod holders get in the way of paddling?
fishndesign wrote:
One thing I will say is the console does get in the way a little when casting/working soft plastics etc. Personally it doesn't hinder me that much but its worth considering. It is great for trolling and bait fishing as the rods are right there in front of you and well clear of the water. You can slide it forward if it gets in the way of your paddle stoke.
Thanks Andrew. It is a pity the x-wing is not easier to find in Australia. You also make a good point that it can get in the way. I didnt think about that.
bop34 wrote:I took my kayak out several times before deciding where and how to mount holders and accessories. I ended up using a ram mount for the finder and railbalaza holders along th pod and behind my seat as there use is not just limited to a rod holder with the extras being platforms and holders of various descriptions. Sounds like your got the right idea taking your time
Hey Bop, that is what I am learning towards at the moment. As you said, best to give in a few runs before making the decision. It's a little harder now that I have a fish finder :)
fishndesign wrote:Here's my setup with the X-wing console.
Wow, you have a awesome setup. How clean is your kayak too! Thanks for the photos of the transducer, etc The X-wing seems like a great place to mount the rods. I like the idea you can clip it off and on...
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Harps wrote:
I like you setup. What do you do if you gets a couple of bites at once? :) I like the idea of the rod holder on the other side of the sounder. It seems to be out of the way also. Do the side rod holders get in the way of paddling?
A forward rod holder needs to be of a design that you can reach to get rod in and out. For mty front central ones I use Berkley QS on homemade extender. You can lift rod straight up without having to slide it forward.

On the grey yak, side holders are railblazas. They are shown in bait soaking position, just in front of these you will see two vacant ports, which are also tilted forward. For full paddle strokes i relocate side holders to forward positions. Also use forward position for trolling.

On red yak rocket launchers keep butts and reels out of way of paddling.

i also have two 45 degree sideways facing tubes bolted to my crate so i can either troll from them, additional mounting points for baiting, and generally moving rods out of way while i fight on an active rod. eg if bite on front rod, as I get fish to one side i move that side rod to a rear holder, out of way.

if you get two bites pick best one and let other stay on hook until you are ready..Stay calm or you will tangle everything

This is another set up, You can see the side angled tube attached to front of crate ( I use same crate on all yaks). Sounder in this case is a temporary over the side set up, This needs to be changed as its too far forward. On this one teh side holders are a kind of hybrid rockret launcher style. I face these backwards to troll,easy to quickly pull out. No paddle stroke to worry about.
P1000542.JPG
click on photo to expand