Hammerhead shark takes on kayaker and paddle

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Hammerhead shark takes on kayaker and paddle

Post by Franko »

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/09/2 ... ith-paddle

A very lucky man? Is there more attacks on humans or is it just published more.
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Re: Hammerhead shark takes on kayaker and paddle

Post by Digger »

bop34 wrote:http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/09/2 ... ith-paddle

A very lucky man? Is there more attacks on humans or is it just published more.
There seem to be a lot more attacks in Oz this year than usual. That could be explained by there being progressively more people in the water as population increases though.

There have been 5 deaths this year whereas the average per year is 3. That is a worry as we still have a few months with warmer weather to go and it's likely that more will die this year.

With Great Whites being so prevalent here, we suffer more deaths from attacks whereas in reality the USA for example has many more attacks, but lesser injuries often from juvenile Bull Sharks (N. Carolina esp,)

Perhaps we can blame "Global Warming", and why not everything else is being attributed to that....grin~

(Actually I could go a bit of crumbed hammerhead, not bad at all)
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Post by Franko »

Very true digger and a big worry. At the end of the day we are in there territory.
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

He should have gaffed it :)

Although it was a little model, if mumma came out to play would have been a different story.

I wonder if we should make a paddle mod that turns the paddle into a harpoon
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

I think that surfers are at most risk.

Where do they sit waiting for a wave, just past the break which is where the sharks hunt schools of fish!

Not only that, they dangle juicy bits down into the water as if teasing the sharks to have a go.

Add to that the surfers that hit the water before and after work or school knowing that the sharks actively feed at those times...sort of inevitable that a few will get bitten really.

The only thing that has saved a lot of people and allowed them to escape, is the method of attack by Whites developed over millions of years which is to savage their victim and then circle waiting for them to bleed out. This has come from caution because sea lions and such might scratch their eyes under prolonged attack. Its also why the white sharks have a membrane that rolls down to cover their eyes when attacking (Nicitating membrane.)

If you are attacked by two sharks at once then kiss you arse goodbye as caution gives way to competition. Ouch~

Sitting a few inches off the water is sometimes a bit scary if you think about sharks I know, but there are places and times that common sense tells you to avoid, and follow those and you have little to worry about statistically.

I believe that surfers are much more at risk than yakkers.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Yep, just turn the tables with a gaff to the jaw. It'll disappear quick smart after its survival instincts kick in.
0408 565 763
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

Digger wrote:I believe that surfers are much more at risk than yakkers.
Yep I agree with this.... Although I hope in a few months time 9 news don't pull up my posts and say, "He thought he was safe and now he's shark food"

At least with the yak you've got a lot for a shark to get through before they actually get to you.

In theory they'd hit the yak from underneath, realise you're not food and piss off... Ideally Shane would be fishing nearby, get a hook in, and catch the bugger before he comes around again :)
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Statistically speaking, many more people have died from selfies this year than shark attacks 12 vs 8 internationally; falling off and out of things trying to get that perfect shot -buildings, cliffs mountains,motorbikes etc

Russia have even brought out a safe selfie campaign:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-08/r ... es/6603440
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

hammertym wrote:
Digger wrote:I believe that surfers are much more at risk than yakkers.
Yep I agree with this.... Although I hope in a few months time 9 news don't pull up my posts and say, "He thought he was safe and now he's shark food"

At least with the yak you've got a lot for a shark to get through before they actually get to you.

In theory they'd hit the yak from underneath, realise you're not food and piss off... Ideally Shane would be fishing nearby, get a hook in, and catch the bugger before he comes around again :)

With the popularity of kayak fishing it will happen sooner or later, just make sure it's not you.

I reckon the worst feeling would be getting tipped out of your yak by a shark and waiting for it to hit you! Da Dum, Da Dum, Da Dum~
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

Digger wrote:I think that surfers are at most risk.

Where do they sit waiting for a wave, just past the break which is where the sharks hunt schools of fish!

Not only that, they dangle juicy bits down into the water as if teasing the sharks to have a go.

Add to that the surfers that hit the water before and after work or school knowing that the sharks actively feed at those times...sort of inevitable that a few will get bitten really.

The only thing that has saved a lot of people and allowed them to escape, is the method of attack by Whites developed over millions of years which is to savage their victim and then circle waiting for them to bleed out. This has come from caution because sea lions and such might scratch their eyes under prolonged attack. Its also why the white sharks have a membrane that rolls down to cover their eyes when attacking (Nicitating membrane.)

If you are attacked by two sharks at once then kiss you arse goodbye as caution gives way to competition. Ouch~

Sitting a few inches off the water is sometimes a bit scary if you think about sharks I know, but there are places and times that common sense tells you to avoid, and follow those and you have little to worry about statistically.

I believe that surfers are much more at risk than yakkers.
Interesting reading dig :) like a docco!
With all those factors you explained with the surfers and there legs being like a sp to a pinkie, im suprised there arent more attacks..

Tim