Hvalross: PA12 and Safety Questions

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Re: Newbie Questions forum

Post by Hvalross »

I take delivery of my first yak this week, a Hobie Pro 12, picking it up from Geelong and I will have purchased an approved Life Jacket and a bilge pump + will have all the safety gear I normally carry in my Jabiru.

I understand that the Pro yaks are pretty hard to tip over.........but I am assuming that it WILL happen sooner or later. I am 100% skeptical that that advice applies to yakkers who have had a rig in the past and have experience. My balance is good enough to sit a bucking horse but a rolling YAK is NOT going to be the same at all.
I don't have any mates in the know so I am looking for a suitable location around Altona or Williamstown to start myself off learning the ropes so that I have an idea of what it will feel like, and what it will actually take to tip the thing over and get back in. I will be wearing a manual activation Jacket so I am ASSUMING?? that it will be OK to dunk it.

So what I need is a safe place to park car and trailer near by, and firm sand. Watched the two clowns posted by @Rhino and that is NOT what I intend doing.
eg. Pro paddle is bungeed on but a tether line will do no harm, and be added insurance.

I was going to have the sounder installed before I took delivery....I'm going to postpone that till I am confident that I have established at least a basic grasp of what not to do with regard to moving about in the yak both in calm flat and in a bit of chop....so I am thinking that a few sessions are going to be necessary.

Would it be reasonable to assume that the main risk in the yak is a following sea (if it gets up) so how useful is the Skeg on the 12? Broaching to is a BIG no no in offshore boating...assume that carries through big time on Yaks?

Thanks in advance

Andrew
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
Gav
Apprentice
kayak: hobie pro angler 12 owner now 2013 modle

Post by Gav »

Hi Andrew i have had a po angler 12 for 2 years reel happy Gav
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Hvalross wrote:I take delivery of my first yak this week, a Hobie Pro 12, picking it up from Geelong and I will have purchased an approved Life Jacket and a bilge pump + will have all the safety gear I normally carry in my Jabiru.

I understand that the Pro yaks are pretty hard to tip over.........but I am assuming that it WILL happen sooner or later. I am 100% skeptical that that advice applies to yakkers who have had a rig in the past and have experience. My balance is good enough to sit a bucking horse but a rolling YAK is NOT going to be the same at all.
I don't have any mates in the know so I am looking for a suitable location around Altona or Williamstown to start myself off learning the ropes so that I have an idea of what it will feel like, and what it will actually take to tip the thing over and get back in. I will be wearing a manual activation Jacket so I am ASSUMING?? that it will be OK to dunk it.

So what I need is a safe place to park car and trailer near by, and firm sand. Watched the two clowns posted by @Rhino and that is NOT what I intend doing.
eg. Pro paddle is bungeed on but a tether line will do no harm, and be added insurance.

I was going to have the sounder installed before I took delivery....I'm going to postpone that till I am confident that I have established at least a basic grasp of what not to do with regard to moving about in the yak both in calm flat and in a bit of chop....so I am thinking that a few sessions are going to be necessary.

Would it be reasonable to assume that the main risk in the yak is a following sea (if it gets up) so how useful is the Skeg on the 12? Broaching to is a BIG no no in offshore boating...assume that carries through big time on Yaks?

Thanks in advance

Andrew
Hi Andrew,
You will find that Milers Rd Altona will be one of the better spots for you to get started and its also a good place to try re-entries. The launch is the concrete ramp immediately where Millers Rd meets the Esplanade. Straight out from the top of the ramp is sand between rocks either side and that's the best area to try re-entries. Shallow at first (able to stand) then a bit deeper. Bring a towel and change of clothes as the water is still cool and don't try it with any gear you value.

As you get used to the yak you will find the PA is pretty stable is most bay chop that people would normally be out in. The PA in particular doesn't really surf at all well and so in a following sea with breaking waves you will find it wants to turn side onto the waves. But you shouldn't encounter this unless you're caught out in some very rough weather or go looking for surf. With a yak broaching is actually one of the better ways to handle the yak in waves/surf. You need to really lean into the wave and dig into it with a paddle. This lifts the leading edge of the yak so it doesn't dig in and flip and allows you to ride in sideways on moderate sized waves (need to have mirage drives flat or out so they don't flip you). However this is more an advanced technique and not something often done on a PA, but useful to know if you need it.
Shane
0408 565 763
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

Gav wrote:Hi Andrew i have had a po angler 12 for 2 years reel happy Gav
Thanks Gav its good to know that folks that go with the Pro12 & 14 still like them after a bit of use. Reading and researching seems to indicate that the Outback has a lot of followers and a "newbie" gets to wondering if they made the right choice. Appreciate your thumbs up.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Andrew
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

Thanks Shane,

By "cool" I assume you are actually saying FREEZING..........Boy have I chosen a grand time of the year to start this caper!

Thanks also for the pointers, what I take from that is i would benefit from a bit of yak tuition, and now that I am thinking my Son-in-Law is an Outdoor-Ed teacher and one of his strong suits is Yakking.........funny I had forgotten that altogether.
Your point on leaning into the wave make perfect sense because all rollovers I have seen on Dr Youtube have involved the wave getting UNDER the yak and the spilling wave top has done the damage..... what you seem to be saying is that leaning into the rise positions the maximum buoyancy and best profile so a wave actually pushes one along..

I will head for the Millers Road venue.....

Cheers,

Andrew
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Hvalross wrote:Thanks Shane,

By "cool" I assume you are actually saying FREEZING..........Boy have I chosen a grand time of the year to start this caper!
Have you got some kokotat dry pants,makes it all a lot more civilized.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

laneends wrote:
Hvalross wrote:Thanks Shane,

Have you got some kokotat dry pants,makes it all a lot more civilized.
......."BINGO"!.....saw those hanging up at AKS will pick up a pair when I collect the yak this week....thought they were a bit expensive but then getting wet is.. :mrgreen:

Thanks

Andrew
CabinetMaker
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback - Ivory Dune

Re: Hvalross: PA12 and Safety Questions

Post by CabinetMaker »

Apart from the Hobie itself the Kokotats pants were the best purchase for kayak fishing I made. Makes it so much more enjoyable to be warm and dry :evilgrin:
PS make sure you get some wetsuit booties or croc shoes so you dont tear the pants :up:
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

CabinetMaker wrote: PS make sure you get some wetsuit booties or croc shoes so you dont tear the pants :up:
The basic choice you have here is either "footwear" ie crocs, runners, water shoes etc.. ot the wet suit type booties. Each has there advantage. I go with booties as my yaks are skinnier and I hand my legs over the side alot, they are also easier if you have to wade through mud/soft sand, they wont come of. Others use crocs they drain , float and slip on of easier but will come of in mud or hanging legs over side. Others use runner type shoes give a firmer sole out of the yak, in a PA you are not going to be hanging feet over side.

Thnk also about type of trolley, dragging a PA up through extensive soft sand when the tides gone out, ofr back up the sand track is character building.

Good point re following seas, I really need to practice this more nas the Adventure has the tendecy for the arse to come around and the nose to bury itself is quite high. It is a tippy yak and it never feels quite right not having a paddle in you hands for balance.. So yes practice these conditions as it can make a nervous return trip if the whether picks up
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

Thanks for the input and advise. Picked up my yellaterra this arvo...Spent the late afternoon going through getting it on and off the trailer and a general get to know whats what and how it all works....

Can see that wheels are going to be an issue, but there is good advice being posted on that so that will get sorted in due time.

Feel a bit like a kid with a new toy at the moment. Hope to get on the water on Friday.......somewhere FAR from boat ramps and clowns :thumbsup: so i really appreciate the assistance to get started in the right direction.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: