Willy Weather - the dear departed

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Willy Weather - the dear departed

Post by Steve_R »

For many years I've been using WW (and other sites) for weather information. I've been happy to stand up for WW when people grumbled about WW being wrong (how can they be wrong when they lift other people's data). No more standing up for WW!

Why the change of position? I was using WW as source for data for my electronic fishing diary. Their revised site has the data I use locked. I wrote to WW about retaining the alternative site. They promised to respond withing 48 hours. They did not respond. The relationship is over. They get to keep the house, car, money and any other property :lol: I'm taking up a relationship with something far better. A major step up in class. Meteye (http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/meteye/). Why:

1) Data are not sourced from BoM (possibly delayed). It's BoM site. You are sure what you get is the latest available weather information.
2) Far superior graphic presentation
3) Animation
4) Drill-down using Google maps like zoom tools (see image below) gives a general impression of the weather to the area in which you are interested.
5) Search-down for you nearest location where details by date give 3-hourly predictions.
6) Waves as a coloured graphic that give a better impression where wave heights are high and low.
7) Wind as a coloured graphic theat gives a better impression of what's heading your way.
8) Storm forecasts as coloured graphics
9) For the softies :evilgrin: , temparature, rain and humidity forcast graphics
10) Zooming and drag in the map (top L/H corner of the following)

What's missing?
1) Tide. Go here http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/tides/
2) Moon Phases. I can't find anyone who does a data table of the moon with percentage waxing and waning like WW which, together with tide is one of the major triggers of my disenchantment with WW. For those who don't want percentage waxing and waning but want to know full moon, half moon etc, to choose when to fish, Seabreeze have a graphic (http://www.seabreeze.com.au/Members/Wea ... endar.aspx. For those who want waxing and waning percentage, so far I'm stuck with WW and am frustrated I can't grab the data for my diary using Excel automation. That leaves me hand-copying, making mitskates.
Capture.PNG
Last edited by Steve_R on 07 Oct 2015, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Willy Weather - the dear departed

Post by laneends »

I only ever really used WW for tide curves. essential for limited launch locations. Basic BOM wind chart is great for a quick overview glance for potential destinations. Then meteye for details if required
sog
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revolution

Post by sog »

Like you Keith
I only ever use ww for the tide curve info
Meteye and the observations page are where I get my weather details from
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

I've only ever used the BoM, always seemed the have the info I needed and it's as accurate as anyone else.
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

Thanks for the info. I've found the recent changes to Willy Weather a bit annoying.

You're right: Meteye is a cut above.

Cheers,

Mike.
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

Yep WW is very basic, I cannot believe how many people rely on it.
I use BOM, Baywinds and Seabreeze.
I only use WW for tides, sun up sun down (I'm not big on moon phases like some are but I think WW was ok)
John 3.16/17
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

I agree that the recent PC update to WW has been disappointing. It may look nice but the lack of anything beyond 5 day wind data is a big letdown.

However I do still find the phone app (android) to be very worthwhile as it still shows much of the same dat of the old version including 7 days of weather forecast. The other advantage of the app is that it shows hourly wind forecasts for 3 days out instead of the usual 3-hourly from the BOM. If you look closely at the wind data you should also notice that it closely matches meteye as its mostly coming from the same data source. For tides and moon there's nothing like WW. So I still use the app a lot in planning but also cross reference meteye for what's happening across the bays and at the specific location. I'm still cautious of what meteye says as lately its tended to be very conservative often predicting more wind than eventuates. Baywinds and Aeabreeze I have little regard for but find windfinder more reliable for offshore wind, swell and atmospheric pressure forecasts, especially 5-10 days out.
0408 565 763
Steve_R
Square eyes

Post by Steve_R »

I use many sources for weather prediction but mostly rely on experience interpretting MSLP charts when it comes to safety. BoM's wind chart is also very handy once you understand how to interpret direction and strength. Both have been useful on days strong winds were predicted but the 'eye' of the pressure zone was visibly heading in my direction - an hour or two fishing in the calm is better than sitting at home cursing weather services who give very generalised reports.

For me, WW was mostly about data for the fishing diary. I also obtain data from two other web pages, BoM (wind speed and direction, MSL hPa {barometer}) , and Beachsafe.org (water temperature at specific loactions). The beachsafe data needs to be grabbed on the day, which is inconvenient. However, it is also useful for water temperature in the morning on the day you go. For example, Gunnamatta
http://beachsafe.org.au/beach/vic253

Click on [Conditions] and you can see water temperature (14 today). Beachsafe may also be useful to outside yakkers for swell forecast but I've learned to take that with a massive grain of salt. Many is the day I've thought it should be possible to launch locally only to see there's no way I'd get the Revo past the breakers (pedal yaks are not the best choice for surf).

All that is getting away from my purpose for this message. WW responded to my query, offering possibly to temporarily provide .csv files of data depending what I needed which was very good of them. WW say they will eventually have a stats section (months away). Depending what they record, this may suit or improve my fishing diary needs. The planned divorce may end up being a trial separation :yahoo:

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

I could be wrong and probably am telling you something you already know but on here http://wind.willyweather.com.au/vic/mel ... point.html for example... you hover the mouse over the graph... a little arrow comes up on the right... click it and it shows you forecast beyond 5 days.... so at least until 7 days out.. probably not the forecast we are looking for though.
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
Steve_R
Square eyes

Post by Steve_R »

laneends wrote:I only ever really used WW for tide curves. essential for limited launch locations. Basic BOM wind chart is great for a quick overview glance for potential destinations. Then meteye for details if required
Do you do your tide research on a PC? If so try Wxtide.
http://wxtide32.com/
There are lots of configurability options to fiddle with. The only 'problem' to solve when you first use it is your preferred location and that's easy. Just choose, File, location and find.
Capture.JPG
Once [OK]'d, it opens to the same location each time. However, once done, start checking and changing the options until you find a curve that suits your needs For example, I like the option to 'Mark level', which let's you set a line right across the chart (for example, at 1.1 meters).

You can set it up non-install method so you only need to delete the directory if you don't find it useful. Quote:
If you prefer to do a manual install or if an automatic install fails:

Create an empty folder for the program, usually "C:\Program Files\WXTide32\" but any folder will do.
Unzip all files into that new empty folder. The files "setup.exe" and "wxtide43.inf" are not needed.
Find "WXTide32.exe" in the new folder and right click drag it to your desktop to make a shortcut for the program.