Safety Concerns

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Safety Concerns

Post by Yako »

Following my great day out today from Fishies beach I have some major concerns (like many othes on VYAK I note).
I launched around 5.45 so it was starting to get lighter. Some blokes had a white light on and you could see them from far off but there were some who did not and had no flags.
While I was at anchor I noticed some yakkers who had no safety flags or any High Vis clothing etc (some further out than me).
On my way back in to the beach i saw a few yakkers on my right who had no pdf's or safety flags etc.
As I got near the boat channel markers I looked towards my left (morno side) and there were 9 yakkers in a 350+ metre radius and only 2 had safety flags (which looked like a postage stamp - almost seems pointless).
I could't tell if they were wearing pdf's as I did not go close enough, but my concern is that most of them were wearing darker clothing and were sitting (as yaks do) low in the water. If a boat comes belting along these blokes may not be visible to boaters.
I always keep a spare safety flag (got it from bunnings for $2.50) in case - Like last week I forgot my safety flag so I tied my spare flag to the H- Bar :D
Most the yaks I saw were not bright colours so they tend to blend in with the surroundings more (quite a few Hobies I saw without these basics).
For my own piece of mind I have even chosen to use one of those pdf's that are bright yellow and orange to increase my visibility to approaching vessels.
So this was just one beach/bay area so I'm sure we can imagine what the rest of the PPB WPB etc may look like.
As discussed on this forum, kayaking is getting more popular. Retailers (on line or stores) need to be held accountable as well to inform yakkers of minimum safety requirements.
Hopefully Transport Safety etc will put out some ads and get shops to hand out information pamphlets to educate people.
John 3.16/17
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Safety Concerns

Post by laneends »

TBH I dont know why it isn't mandatory for PFDs to be hi viz. Often it can look like yakkers don't have PFDs on, but they are wearing dull coloured inflatables.
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

Yako wrote: 2 had safety flags (which looked like a postage stamp - almost seems pointless).
Kind of answers your point really doesn't it?
The fact is that all vessels under way must keep a lookout for anything that could cause a problem. Now the last time I saw one a floating log or a semi submerged container did not have a "safety Flag" (read pointless waste of effort flag) and are likely to cause much more damage to a boat than a little soft plastic Yak
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

spider25160 wrote: The fact is that all vessels under way must keep a lookout for anything that could cause a problem. Now the last time I saw one a floating log or a semi submerged container did not have a "safety Flag" (read pointless waste of effort flag) and are likely to cause much more damage to a boat than a little soft plastic Yak
Unfortunately in PPB and even WP there are 100's of idiots who own boats, only take them out for a few trips a year and then hoon about the bays without paying proper attention to what's ahead. At least in Portland the guys heading out in boats would be a lot more serious about what they're doing and hopefully more aware than the metro clowns.
0408 565 763
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

Quite by accident I discovered what I feel will be of value to me when I start to get on the water more pre-dawn.

Bought a couple of LED lights from BCF they are palm size and run of 3AAA cells. The back is magnetic and they also have a plastic hanger hook. As it turns out the hanger hook fits the frame of my chair perfectly so I hang two from the front of the chair and that throws light into the cockpit from low down so I can see perfectly and there is no light in my eyes or anything. That gives me a great work light for getting set up etc. pre launch and is better still for prep jobs on water AND throws a bit of light forward so getting out of the ramp at Willie Anglers was easier.

I decided to photograph the set up to post here, which i have not done yet. So I waited till it was dark and then shot a few frames to demonstrate how well it works. Looking at the pics its evident that from all around the light shows through the plastic hull... so I added a couple into my fore and aft hatches, the result is amazing the entire hull above water glows yellow and the (mast light & flag) show up very well above.

The fact that many do not think their way through safety issues is I think going to be a growing problem, Legislation won't help. Government and Local Government budget strategy means that there is less and less funds available to police these things after hours when they are needed.

There are a whole lot of people have lost heaps at and around Lancefield area because (amongst other factors) the full time employees responsible are not allowed overtime. Penalty rates for outside normal hours and budget restraints means monitoring is not carried out 24/7. I am not advocating reducing penalties, folks are entitled to be properly compensated. But Increasingly the Authorities are building themselves bigger and bigger Palaces adorned with costly equipment and silly numbers of staff to proclaim their importance in the Community, and the things that really need to get done for a COMMUNITY to function get left behind as too expensive.... so what chance proper policing at night and at peak times (read public holidays) when they are most needed.

Regulation will come, as a revenue stream, not as a community looking after its own members.

I will get off my Soap Box now.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
cotso
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by cotso »

Twice I've nearly been hit by a boat, both times I had a flag up. It they're not keeping a proper look out I don't think there's much you can do.
BAYSIDE WOOD TURNING & SELF STORAGE. New 20 foot vented shipping containers, CCTV security.24/7 access, your own main gate code and your lock. $200 per month. Ph 5981-8411
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

cotso wrote:Twice I've nearly been hit by a boat, both times I had a flag up. It they're not keeping a proper look out I don't think there's much you can do.
Same Frank, I think boaties listen for noise only! may have their head in the sounder or talking maybe even up where the sun don't shine.

Point is look out for yourself as they can't hear you and there is no road to run off so don't really pay close attention to what's around them.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

bjspinner wrote:
cotso wrote:Twice I've nearly been hit by a boat, both times I had a flag up. It they're not keeping a proper look out I don't think there's much you can do.
Same Frank, I think boaties listen for noise only! may have their head in the sounder or talking maybe even up where the sun don't shine.

Point is look out for yourself as they can't hear you and there is no road to run off so don't really pay close attention to what's around them.
I don't know if this is a good idea or or not but I'm toying with the idea of carrying a flare gun or flares with me (Yeah I know it sounds overkill but I enjoy my life) so if I do see a boat heading towards me I could let one off . I always & I mean always keep scanning around me when I'm on the water.
Perhaps someone has some great ideas they could share?
John 3.16/17
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Post by Franko »

I personally dont use a flag but this is my first yak snapper season.In my defence my jacket is orange my vest is reflective and yellow and my yak is orange plenty of color.I always have my light on or strobing. Safety is always an issue on the water i believe laws and licences need to be tighter to retrict the idiots on the water. My biggest issue are jetskis personally but thats another story.
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

bop34 wrote:I personally dont use a flag but this is my first yak snapper season.In my defence my jacket is orange my vest is reflective and yellow and my yak is orange plenty of color.I always have my light on or strobing. Safety is always an issue on the water i believe laws and licences need to be tighter to retrict the idiots on the water. My biggest issue are jetskis personally but thats another story.
A flag increases the distance you can be seen from, which if nothing else is essential if you get in trouble. Lights disappear in the daylight

I wear an orange hi viz hat too.