Safety Equipment Poll

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.

Safety Gear & Experience

Kayak fishing experience - less than 1 year
2%
Kayak fishing experience - more than 1 year and less than 2 years
1%
Kayak fishing experience - more than 2 years
10%
PFD's should be optional
0%
PFD's should remain mandatory
13%
Night Fishing lights should be 360*
12%
Night fishing lights should remain a white light.
10%
PLB's should be optional
8%
PLB's should be mandatory
2%
PLB's should replace EPIRBS on kayaks
5%
PLB & EPIRB's should both be carried
1%
Flags should remain optional
6%
Flags should be made mandatory
6%
Kayaks should be registered
1%
Kayaks should remain unregistered
11%
Kayaker's should be licenced or pass a test.
2%
Kayaker's should remain unlicenced and not require a test
8%

Total votes: 602

Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Re: Safety Equipment Poll

Post by Anthony »

laneends wrote:I have noticed that on this forum when a newbie asks an opinion of 3m yaks, they get very strong recommendations away from them,. yet on the national forums usually dont , and in fact often get a lot of support and recommendations
It seems to be because a lot of people on that forum only fish freshwater and small estuaries which the 3m yaks can handle whereas most people here fish saltwater and know that those small yaks aren't suitable for the conditions here. There seems to be a lot more concern about safety on VYAK in general though. They aren't faced with some of the challenges we have here such as the cold and unpredictable weather. I've seen research that show Victorians are much more safety conscious in general though. For example road safety and drink driving is taken much more seriously here.
Kingo
Lord of the fish
kayak: Olive Hobie Pro Angler 12

Post by Kingo »

laneends wrote:I have noticed that on this forum when a newbie asks an opinion of 3m yaks, they get very strong recommendations away from them,. yet on the national forums usually dont , and in fact often get a lot of support and recommendations
Ive noticed this exact thing on facebook, heaps of people praising 3m "ebay specials"
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Re: Satey Equipment Poll

Post by Smish »

spider25160 wrote: Do you really think a registration fee saves lives.......
No - although they don't seem to hurt anyone either, people register their dogs and cats yet walk away without a scratch, apparently they're quite harmless. :P
Kingo
Lord of the fish
kayak: Olive Hobie Pro Angler 12

Post by Kingo »

Smish wrote:
No - although they don't seem to hurt anyone either, people register their dogs and cats yet walk away without a scratch, apparently they're quite harmless. :P
Ill start by saying im against a rego fee but a rego fee can be beneficial for the simple reason that it takes away the denialibility and or pleading ignorance of not knowing the laws ie needing a pfd etc
CrazyChenski
Lord of the fish
kayak: Clarkeski Dusta

Post by CrazyChenski »

I gave up trying to contribute to that FB discussion, since logic and practicality doesn't work. as "No a law requirement" is the ultimate answer to all for them.

I was on the verge of commenting along the line of "Darwin's Theory" and some inexperienced kayaker will be drag into that by irresponsible comment...... But I managed to held back.
And I absolutely agree. It is time for a big overhaul on Kayak safety regulation. Since people will not be practical about their own safety, then we must be invoke the Nanny State mentality and enforce various ridiculous regulation....
Fishing is just like Accounting .... it is all about Optical Illusion ...............
Jordo
Square eyes
kayak: AI

Post by Jordo »

Fantastic thread Mav.
And great to see how safety minded everyone on the forum is. I know we aren't the ones that the message needs to get through to, but it reinforces for me that im not just some over the top idiot trying to play 'safety police'.
I really enjoy this forum and I'm so glad its full of people with common sense. We might be discussing different ways to go about it, but atleast we all agree on being as safe as possible on the water, and not just scraping by with the bare minimum.
Time spent in the ocean is time spent living.
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by Anthony »

Kingo wrote:
Smish wrote:
Ill start by saying im against a rego fee but a rego fee can be beneficial for the simple reason that it takes away the denialibility and or pleading ignorance of not knowing the laws ie needing a pfd etc
I would be in support of free or cheap rego as it also help in an emergency situation. For example if an empty yak gets found by a boat or washed up on shore then the owner can quickly be identified and they or their next of kin can be contacted for more information. Things like wearing a PFD or carrying appropriate equipment is a strict liability offence so there isn't really any way to plead ignorance, it's the same as not wearing a seatbelt in the car. The police or officer might let you off but that's at their discretion. However it would be a good way to educate people, maybe filling about a brief questionnaire based on information from a safety booklet. Something that would take 10-15 minutes and just make people aware of the safety concerns surrounding kayaking. It could be a low cost thing say $15 and you get a rego sticker and some small goodies such as a compass, whistle and small first aid kit upon completion. It could easily be set up entirely online to make it accessible for people or maybe something kayak retailers could set up. I think it would be a good way to make people aware of the safety issues with overly relying on a law and order solution.
stevebrown
Apprentice
kayak: Barracuda

Post by stevebrown »

I'd say that safety on the water, in a kayak, does not come from the safety equipment... This is not to say the safety equipment doesn't help manage some of the risks...

There are some key risks in PPB & the local area which should also be taken into account before venturing out... e.g. will the wind blow up while I'm out there, and; how long will I last in the water temperature or wind chill, if I'm soaking wet?

I've been profoundly shocked more than once, when I've met rock climbers in that enthusiastic 20-30yo bracket, who have done the courses, bought the gear, done some climbs, seem to be capable of impressive things, but lack the insight, or ability to recognise their own limitations. Those are the guys I could never climb with... and a few of those, sadly, have moved on...

Knowledge (doing a test / rego) is one thing, having the safety gear is another, being able to apply the knowledge and skill consistently (wisdom?) is another.

Will I feel reassured if all users are licenced and kayaks registered? Nope...
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

I don't think registration or licensing would solve anything.

Look at push-bikes - far more of them about than kayaks and far more deaths, but no licensing or rego...

I doubt it'd even be a money-spinner for the government, as administering and enforcement would be like herding cats.

Mike.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

True Mingle.

One of the issues is when kayaks are sold privately. We know retailers will always try to upsale and add a bit more, but they (should) always talk safety equipment. 2nd hand sellers not so much. Not having a crack at anyone who has ever sold a kayak second hand as I am sure every care was taken, but occassionally I am sure a few get through. And I know retailers don't always get it right either.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.