Man overboard western port 16th Jan 2016

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Pietro
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Re: Man overboard western port 16th Jan 2016

Post by Pietro »

, and let you know that if you have a problem replacing the fin on the mirage drive or the rod, let me know and I'll pitch in for you. Every bit helps.

Well done, and if you need someone to talk to, I'm available.

Once again, well done.

Regards

erik the viking
0407 168816[/quote]

Thankyou very much for the wounderfull words and thankyou for the offer in helping out..
Pietro
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by Pietro »

I would like to say a big Thankyou for all of the kind and positive words and thoughts..

The best thing is we can talk about it and learn and use this experience as a lesson..

Just on a side note, i work for a commecial construction company and we have saftey commitee meetings and site walk and i for one think somtimes it is waisting my time but now i sat back and though, if i can make a difference i can save a life....

Cheers...

Thank once again....

.... off to sorrento tomorrow monring with brotherin law for calamari and gummy shark in his boat....
leap
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Stealth 575

Post by leap »

shane wrote:An EPIRB ma6 be useful in that situation but I'd still look to other options first. Remember an EPIRB is essent8ally calling in the cavalry - search and rescue choppers, planes and boats. All they know is that the vessel registered to the EPIRB is in trouble in the location where the EPIRB was set off. There's no way to communicate the nature of the emergency through an EPIRB.

My first preference in that situation is 000 to get an ambulance on the way. 000 can also be used to get the water police on the scene to assist. The next option I would also go to is VHF channel 16, that will bring in water police, coast guard and also any boats in the area able to render assistance. Both these options allow you to communicate what the emergency is and specify the type of assistance required. If you're out of mobile or radio range and in trouble then there's no replacement for an EPIRB.
Makes perfect sense. Thank you Shane. :) Now have to get a radio.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

The other heads up here is if you have a known medical risk condition, don't go out alone. Not saying that was the case here just a reminder. To be incapacitated anyway on you own could be fatal.
r
Pedal yaks can give the impression of it being easy so is often the route of those who are not always that fit.