Portland Offshore - First Timer Guide

General offshore yakking discussion.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: Portland Offshore - First Timer Guide

Post by shane »

Jordo wrote:Hitting portland north shore this weekend, saturday and tuesday mornings
Pity you can't do Monday, Sunday and Monday are looking like the pick of the days atm. I should see you there Tuesday.

Anyone else heading down this weekend?
0408 565 763
Jordo
Square eyes
kayak: AI

Post by Jordo »

Eoin is fishing with me on saturday, nello is coming down with me on tuesday - hopefully by our tuesday session we will have a fair bit of collective knowledge to put together (and hopefully a few fish under the belt too)
Time spent in the ocean is time spent living.
Jordo
Square eyes

Post by Jordo »

Ill just add to what Eoin has said with saying a little about the north shore. It looks really good for a beginner offshore option in that it is quite sheltered and unlike areas such as cape woolamai, you can land anywhere along the coast in portland bay if you need to. For those reasons id probably rate this area (portland north shore) as an even safer offshore option than san remo and cape woolamai, especially during the upcoming trip when there will be a lot of us down there.
shane
Vyak Addict

Post by shane »

Most people would have seen the old Adventure Bound episode on catching Kingfish along Portland's North Shore. If you haven't seen it or it's been a while then it's worth another look in anticipation for heading down there. Some useful tips for fighting kings down there as well (mostly relevant to pedal yaks :evilgrin: ).

Here's episode 1 of 3:
0408 565 763
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

Reports on Fartbook today...Kings off the Lee breakwater.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Jordo wrote:Eoin is fishing with me on saturday, nello is coming down with me on tuesday - hopefully by our tuesday session we will have a fair bit of collective knowledge to put together (and hopefully a few fish under the belt too)
Do you guys just drive down for the day, or have you got a place to stay down there?

Is there a supermarket in town for stocking up on banana prawns if we decide to chase some other species?
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

4liters wrote:
Jordo wrote:Eoin is fishing with me on saturday, nello is coming down with me on tuesday - hopefully by our tuesday session we will have a fair bit of collective knowledge to put together (and hopefully a few fish under the belt too)
Do you guys just drive down for the day, or have you got a place to stay down there?

Is there a supermarket in town for stocking up on banana prawns if we decide to chase some other species?

Google search shows woolies @ Portland...or take em with u to avoid a dognut
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
Jordo
Square eyes

Post by Jordo »

4liters wrote:

Usually drive down the night before, crash where ever can get accom, though i have a friend down there atm that i can crash with, fish the day and come back. Long way and a lot of work but well worth the potential reward!
It is a proper town so has all the shops.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

4liters wrote:
Jordo wrote: Do you guys just drive down for the day, or have you got a place to stay down there?
It depends sometimes its leave Melb at crazy o clock and fish first light, but driving down the night before is preferred. I'm driving down Fri night and staying in a motel to fish first thing Saturday. There is space if you were thinking of making the trip.
shane
Vyak Addict

Post by shane »

Day trips are do-able and usually worth it if you time it well, but a very long day. Usually leave home at 2am, fishing by 7am, back in at 2pm, home by 8pm including a powernap on the way. Sometimes also a fish at Bullen Merri on the way home. :D

My in-laws live in Warrnambool so most of the time I head down the night before arriving there before midnight. Then a quick sleep to get to Portland at first light after an hours drive. From there on its like a day trip. :up: Other times if teaming up with others we'll rent a room or cabin the night before.
0408 565 763