Extra Boyancy - Pool Noodles + Safety gear carried.

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Re: Extra Boyancy - Pool Noodles + Safety gear carried.

Post by Hvalross »

laneends wrote:Be aware a flooded yak weighs a ton and is hard to retrieve from the water
Ta,
Plan to have company plus a boat as standby...........and I do have a bilge pump and bailing bucket :lol: :thumbsup:
I have to know how safe I am on this thing.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

If you are going to flood it do it in wading depth water with the tide going out.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

laneends wrote:If you are going to flood it do it in wading depth water with the tide going out.
Ok!
Getting out there minimalist, crappy rod or two in tubes clipped up empty lure boxes under seat, and all other gear where it should be. In company then try to tip it, I will succeed. Depending on how that process works out try to right the yak myself, and get back on. There will be folks there to retrieve floating gear, bugger getting too real.
One item worries me a tad. The anchor cylinder is heavy and could cause unsafe tangle risk as it suspends upside down.
I am not a betting man but I will put the house and farm on the front hatch letting in water big time + installed flotation will be less than useful, and I will need to take extra care with the Mirage drive and seat.....the rest is problematic despite Youtube vids. Test hand pump and bucket
Get that back onshore and clear of water, set up with added flotation and repeat. Then activate PFD to see whats what.

Glad you made the point of being shallow when flooding makes sense. If possible/practical push it out and try to right it and see what difference there is. If yes just experiment.

Doing this will tell me if I have the noodles in the right places, too many front or back may tend to cause problems.

Thats the bare bones of the plan....... :roll:
Galey
Lord of the fish
kayak: Ok Frenzy

Post by Galey »

Instructional video would make spectacular viewing..........just sayin'.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

My anchor has chain attached to rope above it so there is short section of rope between anchor and start of chain. If i am just moving locations and will be deploying again soon, so not storing away, i put this section through a clip (in my case clip on anchor trolley), that way if worse comes to worse anchor is going nowhere, even if anchor rope is loose. Though rope is usually clipped on spool to.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

laneends wrote:My anchor has chain attached to rope above it so there is short section of rope between anchor and start of chain. If i am just moving locations and will be deploying again soon, so not storing away, i put this section through a clip (in my case clip on anchor trolley), that way if worse comes to worse anchor is going nowhere, even if anchor rope is loose. Though rope is usually clipped on spool to.
My anchor cylinder is attached by bungee and clip to the yak. To deoply anchor requires opening cylinder and attaching the rope to the anchor trolly. So if yak tips cylinder hangs......might just look at how to prevent that!!
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

Galey wrote:Instructional video would make spectacular viewing..........just sayin'.
Possible title......Buster Keaton lives!!! :laughing1:
BKA
Square eyes
kayak: Malibu Pro Explorer

Post by BKA »

Interesting topic.
I remember reading on another forum a few years ago that the best place to install pool noodles was up under the deck around the gunwale as this will float the yak with the deck flat, even when partly submerged ,thus stopping the yak from rolling over when trying to remount as opposed to just throwing pool noodles or empty plastic bottles inside the hull which will certainly help floatation but probably won't stop the yak from rolling when trying to remount.
Fortunately, I've not been in a position to test these claims. :lol:
Cheers.
Bayside Kayak Angler
Sandringham Anglers' Club
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Good point, if bottles are loose inside the hull they could all end up in the stern or something, pushing it up out of the water while the bow sat under the waves. Would be a huge pain to tip it up the right way, although I guess you'd have something to cling to until rescue arrived.
sawtell
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Sport

Post by sawtell »

Are you saying you are purposely going to flip your yak and fill it with water to see if it sinks?

Really not a great idea, you want to pump all the water out before you bring it back onto land.

Think of it has a whale, in the water it can have 200kgs of water inside and be 'supported' put that onto land and watch your hull bend, twist, warp and possibly crack from the pressure.

When my PA was leaking I filled it up with water in my back yard, it really didn't like it at all!!

I and many others on here have flipped their kayaks for 'fun' and practice. I think everyone should do it to learn how to get back on.