Pimp my ride

Show off your DIY project!
twavvy
Lord of the fish
kayak: Perception Swing

Pimp my ride

Post by twavvy »

Ok well I finally get a saturday off and....it's going to be blowing a gale. I have my kayak (Perception Swing) and Dad has his (Wavedance Kingfisher) in my garage, and we're going to spend the day pimping them followed by watching the saints systematically dismantle the bulldogs.

Here is what it currently looks like:

I have a sounder (A portable Humminbird 160x) that I would like to permanently install (I realise I could have gotten a much better sounder for the price of the portable one now!) and would also like to get a crate in the back for storage - How do you get the right size crates??? I would be most welcome to other ideas.

My trips planned over the school holidays (Starting this week!) include fishing in Bendigo (Eppalock??) next tuesday during teacher's games and then hitting Bemm River for a week from GF day (Rather catch a 45cm perch than watch the saints choke again ;) ) onwards.

Any help, ideas or suggestions would be most welcome!

Cheers
Trav
fishsmith
Square eyes
kayak: Pro Angler and Native Watercraft Manta Ray 12

Re: Pimp my ride

Post by fishsmith »

The Swing is a nice looking Yak Trav..
Jef
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Mission Flo, Hobie Revolution 13 & AI

Post by Jef »

Nice lines on the kayak Trav.
I've only done two kayaks and the second is the most serious but still is pretty simplistic and pales compared to some of the great setups photographed on the forum. There are many great ideas in these photos and discussions.
The only thing I have guiding me is about the cutting of the hull; it's the act of a well tested and considered last resort.
Anyway have fun it's part of the package.
Jef
twavvy
Lord of the fish

Post by twavvy »

Hey guys, here are some results of the day:

btw Jef we did cut holes - I have one more with a rod holder for the sounder, and Dad cut two!

The story of the day:

We started our "bloke shopping" by heading to Anaconda and found some Berkley MF40 soft vibes 2 packs which were $1.99 down from $12.99. It was a bargain so we got 8 packs with 7 different varieties and also picked up a great plano tackle box each.

Our next stop was BCF where we found the same vibes we just bought, but here they were $12.95. A good buy indeed! We bought some rod holders and Dad got a nice SPF 40+ long sleeved shirt for our barra safari next year.
Bunnings was next on the agenda and we looked around for a while before getting some 32mm PVC, a pine timber offcut, some screws, lunch boxes and some silicon.
When we arrived home it took a while, but we spent the next few hours constructing our masterpieces. We cut the pine to about 15cm long and drilled a 32mm hole through it. We then screwed the sounder mount on top and put a 30cm length of PVC into it. This created a nice setup with the sounder mounted on top. Dad had borrowed a hole drill and drilled a hole through my yak and we attached a vertical rod holder with the screws and silicon.
Inside the front hatch I siliconed in the lunchbox with its lid cut off and some tie downs on it to house the battery. It also was set in place with some polystyrene so the battery won't get jerked around. Then I attached the cables to the battery and put it in simulation mode for a test, and it worked! When sitting in it the sounder was within reach for adjustment but far enough away so that it doesn't get in the way of my paddling stroke.

We did the same to Dad's yak, although he already had a vertical rod holder in front of him and used that to put the sounder in to. He also got some angled rod holders and we used the hole driller and put one on each side of him.
We then returned to Bunnings where we got some crates and they now sit behind us in our yaks. They're very solid and far more waterproof than just sitting your tackle box behind you next to the scupper holes!
We should be able to sound up some great bream and the schools of EPs at Bemm now....
Trav
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

they look to be coming along nicely trav - you must about ready for another Critter hunt in the mud

cheater
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
twavvy
Lord of the fish

Post by twavvy »

cheaterparts wrote:they look to be coming along nicely trav - you must about ready for another Critter hunt in the mud

cheater
Hell yeah mate I'm up for another monster gumbo... You'll be right to chase the bait bucket again right? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Trav
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

twavvy wrote: Hell yeah mate I'm up for another monster gumbo... You'll be right to chase the bait bucket again right? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I recon so but I wait a bit longer to watch the full show this time

cheater
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
twavvy
Lord of the fish

Post by twavvy »

cheaterparts wrote:
twavvy wrote: Hell yeah mate I'm up for another monster gumbo... You'll be right to chase the bait bucket again right? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I recon so but I wait a bit longer to watch the full show this time

cheater
Yeah I'm thinking I need a new procedure for pulling the big mummas on board so I don't get into a wrestling match! :lol:
Trav
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

The Yak looks good mate, those eagle 300's are great for the money and the soft vibes are a bargain and a half. You've done well.
Bilby
Bill 0409139460
twavvy
Lord of the fish

Post by twavvy »

bilby wrote:The Yak looks good mate, those eagle 300's are great for the money and the soft vibes are a bargain and a half. You've done well.
Bilby
Thanks Bilby. The sounder is actually a portable Humminbird 160x - I just connect the transducer cable out on the water and it suction cups under the yak.

Also for Cheater - The Willow 15L "Tough stack" crate (Or something like that it's called!) is what we got for the back of the yaks to use as storage, and it fits like a glove into Dad's Kingfisher, so if you're looking for a storage solution that would be it! He hasn't figured out how to attach it yet, but it sits neatly between the two cleats that tie on the back of the seat, so I'm sure you could use occy straps or even tie it on.

Cheers
Trav