Plastic welding the dunger

Show off your DIY project!
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Plastic welding the dunger

Post by Ghurkin »

I got this old dunger off e-bay, the last owner used to drag it ( and I mean literally!!) across St Kilda road to get to his yacht.
ok so its not a flash kayak but its going to have to do for now, at least I might be able to catch some fish and be out on the water and thats what matters.
front damage.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

front and rear damage repaired

couldnt get a small amout of green 3mm polyetheylene so had to use black.

rear damage

rear damage welded

Plastic welding gun, dremel tool with 45 v bit, steel ruler for scraping, safety glasses, you also need a soldering iron for tacking.

so the last owner has 3 largish holes in the bottom and cant undo the drain plug, after he drilled a 4mm hole through the rear top he found it sank rather quickly, (wonder why :roll: ). find the hole.

Large glass of homebrew beer, never start drinking till the job is almost done you might get plastic shavings in the beer. :lol:

Cheers Stevo
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Bigyakka
Square eyes
kayak: 2010 P.A a sexy dune one

Re: Plastic welding the dunger

Post by Bigyakka »

Great job mate :D Dont worry about the quality of the yak, so long it floats and catches fish. You could have just got yourself alote of work by letting everyone know you have a plastic welder :lol: Great to have you onboard and look forward to seeing the floating ghurkin on the water soon :D
78.5cm, 5.5kg Snapper Sunnyside, 59cm flathead safety beach, 56cm Salmon safety beach, 60cm Snook Black Rock, 34cm King George Whiting Oliver Hill, 38.5cm Bream Patterson River
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

Bigyakka wrote:Great job mate :D Dont worry about the quality of the yak, so long it floats and catches fish. You could have just got yourself alote of work by letting everyone know you have a plastic welder :lol: Great to have you onboard and look forward to seeing the floating ghurkin on the water soon :D
Floating ghurkin :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: maaaaate I love it!! Ive welded plastic water tanks, motorcycle fairings, car parts and loads of other stuff, with my job I do cad drawings so cant wait to design some custom kayak stuff, live bait wells, rod storage, spray covers.
cant wait for tommorrow, got Friday off :D

Cheers Stevo
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Hi SDJ, nice work on the plastic welding, my first yak was very similar in size and shape, managed to add an esky, some rod holders and catch fish - what more do you want.
first yak.jpg
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

The floating dunger ghurkin !!!!!!!!! great job mate, you have raised the beast from the dead. Now you just need to get it wet and get some fish in it.
Bilby.
Bill 0409139460
Bozzie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Dune Pro Angler

Post by Bozzie »

Forget about the yak,.... Beautiful head on the beer and a lovely colour. Is is very malty or hoppy? I can smell it from here!
The Rubai-Yak of Hobie Khayyam
Mob: 0409234439

brettrobo
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by brettrobo »

plastic welder and beer brewer......
id be careful on the 2nd oct outing mate, you may get a few proposals
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

maverick wrote:Hi SDJ, nice work on the plastic welding, my first yak was very similar in size and shape, managed to add an esky, some rod holders and catch fish - what more do you want.
first yak.jpg
Thats the same yak cept mines green. miramar mornington? I think you live just around the corner from me maverick, Im in orlanda.

cheers Stevo
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

bilby wrote:The floating dunger ghurkin !!!!!!!!! great job mate, you have raised the beast from the dead. Now you just need to get it wet and get some fish in it.
Bilby.
Its gunna happen bilby maybe not overnight but its gunna happen :D :D
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

bilby wrote:The floating dunger ghurkin !!!!!!!!! great job mate, you have raised the beast from the dead. Now you just need to get it wet and get some fish in it.
Bilby.

Henceforth throughout the realm thine water craft shalt be known as FDG, floating dunger ghurkin!! like the way I said that with "relish"? better shut up I might get in a "pickle" :mrgreen: