It is currently 21 Jun 2018, 11:44

Mirage 180 conversion?

Show off your DIY project!

Mirage 180 conversion?

Postby greggo » 04 Jun 2018, 19:43

Does anyone know if Hobie are going to release a Mirage 180 conversion kit for V2 drives?

I've found a couple of sites in the U.S. that were selling the kit, but are now saying it's been discontinued. It doesn't look like all the necessary parts can be bought as spares either. :eh:

Thanks in advance, Greggo.
greggo
The force is strong in this one
 
Posts: 174
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 21:55
Location: Berwick
kayak: Hobie outback
Real Name: Greg

Re: Mirage 180 conversion?

Postby 4liters » 04 Jun 2018, 20:01

Yeah, it’s been available for a while now. Easy to install, simply sell your hobie and buy a native watercraft.
User avatar
4liters
Lord of the fish
 
Posts: 1597
Joined: 02 Jun 2015, 11:55
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500
Real Name: Ian

Re: Mirage 180 conversion?

Postby greggo » 04 Jun 2018, 20:31

4liters wrote:Yeah, it’s been available for a while now. Easy to install, simply sell your hobie and buy a native watercraft.
Ha. The problem is that I like both!

I've used the Natives a lot, a mate has 4 Natives; Slayer 10, 12, Titan 12 and Ultimate 12. Depending on where we're fishing, I'll use my Outback or one of his Natives.

They both have their plus's and minus's, but the Mirage drive is definitely faster than the Propel, which is important to me when pedalling long distances.
greggo
The force is strong in this one
 
Posts: 174
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 21:55
Location: Berwick
kayak: Hobie outback
Real Name: Greg

Re: Mirage 180 conversion?

Postby Seasherpa » 04 Jun 2018, 21:58

4liters wrote:Yeah, it’s been available for a while now. Easy to install, simply sell your hobie and buy a native watercraft.



Come on mate, the Hobie vs Native debate just keeps going round and round....


...much like the front end of a native with a standard rudder :lol:
Image
User avatar
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
 
Posts: 2608
Joined: 28 Sep 2012, 11:31
Location: Newport
kayak: Stealth PF525, Fisha 460, Toura 17, Pinnacle Elite
Real Name: Eoin (Owen)

Re: Mirage 180 conversion?

Postby greggo » 05 Jun 2018, 11:46

Seasherpa wrote:Come on mate, the Hobie vs Native debate just keeps going round and round....
Yep...there's no winners with that argument, a bit like Holden vs Ford.

Anyway...back to the original question; is there a kit, or spares to make a kit available at the moment?
greggo
The force is strong in this one
 
Posts: 174
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 21:55
Location: Berwick
kayak: Hobie outback
Real Name: Greg

Re: Mirage 180 conversion?

Postby shane » 05 Jun 2018, 14:29

greggo wrote:
Anyway...back to the original question; is there a kit, or spares to make a kit available at the moment?


SLH list all the parts required on their website and you can get instructions online (https://www.theoutdoorsource.com/blog/224-2/). Below are all the parts required along with individual costs from the SLH site. If you're (very) keen you could ring them and see if they can do a package price.

81499001 MD 180 Spine Assemby – One ($399)
81486021 Handle & Tendon MD 180 Reverse – One ($13)
81491021 Handle & Tendon MD 180 Forward – One ($13)
81504001 Mast MD 180 Turbo – Two (2x $39)
81501001 MD 180 Fin Turbo – Two (2x $62)

At $627 for the individual parts it's not cheap but still a bit cheaper than a new MD180 drive at $1,259. :shock:
0408 565 763
User avatar
shane
Vyak Addict
 
Posts: 6444
Joined: 07 Sep 2011, 21:54
Location: Moonee Ponds
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem
Real Name: Shane

Re: Mirage 180 conversion?

Postby Babylon » 05 Jun 2018, 19:20

User avatar
Babylon
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4883
Joined: 02 Feb 2010, 21:43
Location: Narre-warren South
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13
Real Name: Jim

Re: Mirage 180 conversion?

Postby greggo » 05 Jun 2018, 20:16

shane wrote:
greggo wrote:
Anyway...back to the original question; is there a kit, or spares to make a kit available at the moment?


SLH list all the parts required on their website and you can get instructions online (https://www.theoutdoorsource.com/blog/224-2/). Below are all the parts required along with individual costs from the SLH site. If you're (very) keen you could ring them and see if they can do a package price.

81499001 MD 180 Spine Assemby – One ($399)
81486021 Handle & Tendon MD 180 Reverse – One ($13)
81491021 Handle & Tendon MD 180 Forward – One ($13)
81504001 Mast MD 180 Turbo – Two (2x $39)
81501001 MD 180 Fin Turbo – Two (2x $62)

At $627 for the individual parts it's not cheap but still a bit cheaper than a new MD180 drive at $1,259. :shock:
Thanks mate. :up:
Babylon wrote:https://www.rodbendingsworld.com/blog/upgrade-your-hobie-gt-drive-miragedrive-180-reverse
Thanks mate. :up:
greggo
The force is strong in this one
 
Posts: 174
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 21:55
Location: Berwick
kayak: Hobie outback
Real Name: Greg

Re: Mirage 180 conversion?

Postby spider25160 » 05 Jun 2018, 20:20

greggo wrote:
Seasherpa wrote:Come on mate, the Hobie vs Native debate just keeps going round and round....
Yep...there's no winners with that argument, a bit like Holden vs Ford.


Waddaya mean no winners ....its easy Holden and Hobie :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 36cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrass 46cm
spider25160
Qualified Fish Monger
 
Posts: 310
Joined: 26 Aug 2011, 22:56
Location: Portland
kayak: Hobie PA 14
Real Name: David


Return to DIY Section

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests