Anchor trolley, which side??

Show off your DIY project!
doddsj
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2009 Hobie Outback

Re: Anchor trolley, which side??

Post by doddsj »

G'day,

Just to be different i am right handed and have the anchor trolley on the left hand side of my outback. I have the Sounder on the right. I really don't think it matters it's just personal preference and what is in the way getting in and out of the yak.

Cheers, Steve.
Mordy
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback Yellow

Post by Mordy »

Steve........... are you opening a hardware shop.!!! :o
Mine is on the right and I am right handed. I went by the philosophy that I waned all my crap on one side of the yak so I would
have a clear side to re enter if need be.
Here is a link I found when I was drilling mine, I like the mushroom grommets he used to keep it all in place,
has worked well for me.

http://www.akff.net/wiki/index.php?titl ... _Adventure

The only thing I would do differently is when fastening the pulleys just fix the far bolts (those closer to the nose and the back)
Install every thing else then come back and put in the other bolts in the pulleys.
The tension in the line will pull it all into alignment rather than trying to guess it.
I joined all my loops and fittings with Galvinised steel crimps that they used to fasten chichen mesh to fencing wire.
gave then a liberal coat of silicon then slipped some shrink wrap over them.
( then poured boiling water over the shrink wrap.) Not whilst on on yak!
Good luck
and sweet drilling ( at least you can alway weld up any mistakes !!)

Ps also made a sea anchor out of a woolies bag with some wire threaded though the rim
To the handle I have a 2-3m line with a bit of pool noodle threaded onto it in case it ever gets disconneted along the way.
Cheers
Mordy
Attachments
sea anchor.jpg
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

Mordy wrote:Steve........... are you opening a hardware shop.!!! :o
Mine is on the right and I am right handed. I went by the philosophy that I waned all my crap on one side of the yak so I would
have a clear side to re enter if need be.
Here is a link I found when I was drilling mine, I like the mushroom grommets he used to keep it all in place,
has worked well for me.

http://www.akff.net/wiki/index.php?titl ... _Adventure

The only thing I would do differently is when fastening the pulleys just fix the far bolts (those closer to the nose and the back)
Install every thing else then come back and put in the other bolts in the pulleys.
The tension in the line will pull it all into alignment rather than trying to guess it.
I joined all my loops and fittings with Galvinised steel crimps that they used to fasten chichen mesh to fencing wire.
gave then a liberal coat of silicon then slipped some shrink wrap over them.
( then poured boiling water over the shrink wrap.) Not whilst on on yak!
Good luck
and sweet drilling ( at least you can alway weld up any mistakes !!)

Ps also made a sea anchor out of a woolies bag with some wire threaded though the rim
To the handle I have a 2-3m line with a bit of pool noodle threaded onto it in case it ever gets disconneted along the way.
Cheers
Mordy
Onya Mordy!! thanks for the info, love the sea anchor that was going to be my next project, or was it the rudder? perhaps the sliding center console? :eh:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

Bozzie wrote:
babylon wrote:Right Handed Right side as well Cheers Jim :thumbsup:
Right handed, Left hand to reel Deprh Sounder on RHS therefore it was easier to keep anchor trolley on RHS as well.

:thumbsup: which hand do you hold your beer in though Bevan :eh: or was that you with the rod mounted stubbie holder :?:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Mordy
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback Yellow

Post by Mordy »

Steven here a few pics
These are the clips I use on all my bungie works
Got them from Bunnings piers are handy but any pliers wouls probably do the trick
Mordy
Attachments
Sea anchor
Sea anchor
Trolley set up note gromet holder thingos
Trolley set up note gromet holder thingos
S#!^........ even looks fast in the garage
S#!^........ even looks fast in the garage
matt
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie PA

Post by matt »

Hi Steven,
maybe a different way of thinking - I put my anchor trolley in a way that it can run on the left or on the right side as I wish.
will attach photos soon.
do not drill yet... :shock: :)
matti
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

matt wrote:Hi Steven,
maybe a different way of thinking - I put my anchor trolley in a way that it can run on the left or on the right side as I wish.
will attach photos soon.
do not drill yet... :shock: :)
matti
Too late matt, jobs done, still would like to see how you did it though :thumbsup:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
matt
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie PA

Post by matt »

SDJ wrote:Too late matt, jobs done, still would like to see how you did it though :thumbsup:
I know it looks simple which it is however it will give you all you want in an anchor trolley plus a very important feature the flexibility
you will need in wavy water. Works great.

I saw your anchor trolley and was impressed with the ideas and the investment.

Also - some very good photos on you website :thumbsup:

Cheers Matti
Attachments
22102010(002).jpg
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

matt wrote:
SDJ wrote:Too late matt, jobs done, still would like to see how you did it though :thumbsup:
I know it looks simple which it is however it will give you all you want in an anchor trolley plus a very important feature the flexibility
you will need in wavy water. Works great.

I saw your anchor trolley and was impressed with the ideas and the investment.

Also - some very good photos on you website :thumbsup:

Cheers Matti
Mate thats a brilliant idea!! so simple and gives you the fleibility to anchor both sides, niiiiiice.
My trolley worked great yesterday in some very windy conditions, only prob was the anchor spinning and twisting the rope.

Cheers Stevo.
maccayak
Square eyes
kayak: A clean one with no fish!

Post by maccayak »

Also, Hobie sell a kit with all the bits and pieces you need for about $50, just for the other guys that might need to put one on. The Hobie kit is very easy to install. I did my first kayak like you did Steve. Good job.

When I did the second one, I used the Hobie one and it saved me so much time. I didnt have to go spending time at Sport Phillip Marine and about $80.

Geoff
Geoff Mobile 0438 383 764

VYAK Member No 0003