Snapper and more snapper

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Snapper and more snapper

Post by maverick »

Ok, I have a few snapper in the fridge and I hate wasting any part of them.

As a quick guide, once I fillet them, the bones and fins (skeleton gets cut down in to smaller pieces) then get dried, garlic salt marinated for 24 hours, before a light dusting of heavily seasoned (cumin, ground coriander, paprika and pepper) flour. They are deep fried and end up like KFC. Most of the smaller bones become crunchy and chewable (the tail is lovely).

I BBQ the head to get some colour in it, then boil it and turn it into a fish stock. The bbq helps add to the flavour of the stock.

The fillets are free to do whatever you want to.

But, what is disappointing is the fact that we are taking fish full of roe. So the other day I kept some roe and this afternoon I smoked the roe and some fillets pieces, on the $60 gal steel BCF smoker. I wanted to try them without any flavourings or marinating. All I can is they are lovely. They firm up and have a smooth texture, without having any sort of unusual flavour. The snapper fillets were lovely, I sliced them thinly just to make sure they smoked through. A squeeze of lemon and my afternoon tea was complete. Next time I will try marinating them first.

Enjoy.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Re: Snapper and more snapper

Post by Ghurkin »

Mate I am so freakin hungry now!! sounds awesome :thumbsup: :clap:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Re: Snapper and more snapper

Post by herbie »

Yummo!

Another great way to smoke snapper is to slice down one side and open like a book.

Hang somewhere to dry for a while before smoking with ti tree.

Here is the most important part. Serve In newspaper!!

Oh and the head is the best sweetest meat on the whole fish.

Bazinga :thumbsup:
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360