Banjo mmmm! Flaky!

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
Camo pom
Apprentice
kayak: Outdoor expedition camo fish 2

Banjo mmmm! Flaky!

Post by Camo pom »

Ok guys, so picked up a big banjo yesterday at cliffton springs. It was so big I thought I might get a good feed out of it, i'v heard that it's a bit crap but I thought "I'll be the judge of that" so got it home cleaned it ,cut the head and wings of just infront of the pair of fins where the wings end. Now the hard part,getting the skin off.tried just pulling it off like a sock didn't work so got a sharp knife and ran it flat between the skin and the meat. That done just cut the fillets from ether side of the back bone(cartlige) and there you have it! I then chucked it on the barbe on hi just to seal it, then lowered the heat and let it cook though.forgot! I brushed on some oil with chille in it first :P very nice, tastes like flake but the texture is different ,bit more meaty. Even the missis liked it and she's pretty fussy!!! :up: :up: If anyone trys it let me know what you think.
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Re: Banjo mmmm! Flaky!

Post by Widsa »

Good news.... I catch about 2 every outing.....
Ill have to give it a try if I get a biggin'.
I reckon you could use the head for a nice fish stock or shark bait/ berley as well, so then none goes to waste. :thumbsup:
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
blahger
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Leyland P76 Island of Adventure

Post by blahger »

Thin out their numbers!
Affiliated with the badger protection league
http://www.badgerprotectionleague.com/
Camo pom
Apprentice

Post by Camo pom »

Yep there a bloody pest! But if everyone starts eating them we'll soon thin them out a bit :up: shame you can't eat toad fish!!!!! :lol: :lol:
Bozzie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Dune Pro Angler

Post by Bozzie »

I'll be trying the next big one. Do you have to land them as whole (fish) or from the last gill (shark)?
Also, after filleting, put in freezer for 24 hours, like Gummy, to reduce the mercury taste, and improve the flesh.
I like the idea of chilli oil, should be good. Would go very well in a fish stew or Thai fish curry....
The Rubai-Yak of Hobie Khayyam
Mob: 0409234439

Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

Tempted now to give one a go, if the flesh stays firm and freezes well, could be good in a sweet & sour style stir fry or grilled like Unagi!
C&R’d heaps of them… so I’m all for eating more Banjo Shark! (Heh… aka BS)… Thin out their numbers! 8-)

They’re a pain in the arse… :D
Camo pom
Apprentice

Post by Camo pom »

There's no legal minimum for banjo, so as long as it's big enough to get a good feed out of go for it.just make sure you bleed it as soon as you catch it!! I cooked mine as soon as I got home ,so let me know how they freez up.
Good luck!

Richo