how do you cook cuttlefish?

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
Yacker
Yak Master
kayak: Yellow PA and red Q kayak

how do you cook cuttlefish?

Post by Yacker »

Seems to be a lot of cuttlefish around at the moment, and been getting a few as by catch when flicking plastics.
Would be interested to try one, but not having prepared one before, I’m at a bit of a loss for recipes. The tentacles seem much “softer” than squid and the body is very thick relative to a squid.

Anyone had experience cooking cuttlefish? I imagine you could go the crumb and quick fry like calamari, be would good to hear what others have done.

Kind of fond of cuttlefish, so unlikely to start pigging out on them, but would like to have a go at least once

Cheers

Yacker
Many and strange are the universes that drift like bubbles in the foam upon the River of Time
brettrobo
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback

Re: how do you cook cuttlefish?

Post by brettrobo »

for the "1" that i have cooked.

clean similar to a squid.

due to the thickness i pineappled the the flesh and did a tempura batter with chilli.
some spring onion/lemon over it and bobs your uncle.

the texture is similar and almost identical to squid yet the flavor is very different IMO

soak in milk for 4 hours or blended KIWI for 1-2 hours.
FRESH it has this very crunchy texture and i prefer softened
Yacker
Yak Master
kayak: Yellow PA and red Q kayak

Post by Yacker »

brettrobo wrote:the texture is similar and almost identical to squid yet the flavor is very different IMO
How would you rate the flavour? better/worse than squid, or just different?
Many and strange are the universes that drift like bubbles in the foam upon the River of Time
brettrobo
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by brettrobo »

Yacker wrote:
brettrobo wrote:the texture is similar and almost identical to squid yet the flavor is very different IMO
How would you rate the flavour? better/worse than squid, or just different?
just different very different.

at first i was like WTF as it was so different but i actually came to like it by the end of eating it (had it over 2 nights as it was a massive cuttle)
gom
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: pa (olive/green)

Post by gom »

Was talking with a few people at work & when I mentioned cooking cuttlefish, one of them (obviously from the sub-continent) said, "Google for 'Indian cuttlefish recipe'". Haven't cooked one before but there's a stack of cuttlefish recipes including 'Indian cuttlefish' out there.
Yak PBs - Snapper 69cm/4.2kg; flathead 45cm; pike 70cm; tailor 30cm; bream 36cm; whiting 37cm; gar 34cm
redherring
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Revo

Post by redherring »

Cant help with the cooking, but I'm fond of them too, they are an amazing creature. I caught one the other day, and put it in the esky to give it a try. But after a while I started to feel sorry for it, and pulled it back out and let it go.

I also think squid are a very cool creature, although there have been no reprieves there yet......too tasty.

Report back and let us know your recipe and rating.
Redherring
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

I can understand your curiosity. Not sure what they were chased for, but they had to protect the waters, that they breed in up near Whyalla, due to their popularity. I do know the Italians like them and bake them similar to squid.
Many many years ago and before I started diving, we ate some that we had caught for bait up at Kingston SA. They were not to bad and personally didn't find them much different than squid, if anything, tougher like an arrow squid for memory but we just through the rings on a hot plate.

Then I started diving, and now find myself also, quite fond of them. WoW what an amazing creature, 3 hearts and blue blood.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

gom
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: pa (olive/green)

Post by gom »

I'm curious, Elm. Where are your from / where did you grow up?
Yak PBs - Snapper 69cm/4.2kg; flathead 45cm; pike 70cm; tailor 30cm; bream 36cm; whiting 37cm; gar 34cm
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

So what's unusual about blue blood?

Dig
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

I love doing the cuttlefish as a snitzel. Clean them, cut into 2 or 3 big pieces and then flour, egg dip and flavoured breadcrumbs. Cook quickly and it is Yum. It was a receipe I first had in S.A. Pub (which is in line with Elm's post). Sometimes I let them go because they are an amazing creature, other times I eat them. Just depends on what else is in the catch bag at the time.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.