Leeboard's

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Re: Leeboard's

Post by GoneFishn »

Leeboard so far.
At this stage its looking as though its going to work :evilgrin: but once again it needs to be tested on the water.

Love the way it sits on the deck 8-)
SNC00034 (Medium).jpg
SNC00035 (Medium).jpg
SNC00036 (Medium).jpg
Just need to tidy it all up for the test. In the last pic I am actually pushing the board into the kayak at the bottom with quite a lot of force so I am confident that all is going to be good. Just need to add the weight in the bottom of the board now :up:

The Leeboards will only be used for serious sailing (no fishing gear) at this stage. The sail pretty much stays on the kayak permanently as it is well out of the way when fishing :D
Peterj
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: kingfisher

Post by Peterj »

Looks good.
Had a bit of a hiccup on the outrigger floats as my ole dog died yesterday :cry: and didnt get to do any assembly on them
swit
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Espri, Kingfisher

Post by swit »

Kelly that looks just great. Should work a treat. Good luck with the test run.

Peter...sorry to hear about your furry pal. He/she will no doubt be whooping it up in doggy heaven.
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

Sorry to here about Ole Peter, sad loss when we loose our fury loved one's. Our wishes go out to you and your family.

The leeboard is looking good, how well does it line up with the kayaks centre line?
Being so far forward and using the hull for its support, does it need an angled pad to rest against the hull and to square it with the kayak centre line?
Is there anyway you can put a dish on the inside so it adds just a little lift as well.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.

Post by GoneFishn »

Peterj wrote:Looks good.
Had a bit of a hiccup on the outrigger floats as my ole dog died yesterday :cry: and didnt get to do any assembly on them
Sorry about you old mate Pete, I had to put down my dog of 16years last year not something I would want to do again in a hurry.
ELM wrote:Sorry to here about Ole Peter, sad loss when we loose our fury loved one's. Our wishes go out to you and your family.

The leeboard is looking good, how well does it line up with the kayaks centre line?
Being so far forward and using the hull for its support, does it need an angled pad to rest against the hull and to square it with the kayak centre line?
Is there anyway you can put a dish on the inside so it adds just a little lift as well.
The leeboard is actually toed in slightly, I did read somewhere that ideally a leeboard should have a 5deg toe in to achieve sailing into the wind. But time will tell, I can add some extra ply if needed to adjust the angle. Not to sure about adding a dish/convex (asymmetrical) as its only a single sheet of ply but If the need arises it can be done quite easily (I hope).
Thinking about this more and more it does make sens to make the board asymmetrical to help ease the inward pressure :? I'll see how it all goes first.
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.

Post by GoneFishn »

Well had the first run with the leeboard today. Very happy with how it performed. Launched at Millers and the wind was a strong northerly. sailed out a short distance (rather quickly 8-) ) Pointed the yak into the wind and put the leeboard down. As soon as the sail filled I noticed the difference strait away. At a guess I was able to achive a 30-40degree Close Haule (into wind) tack :yahoo: What I did notice is how much of a difference it makes with the position of the leeboard. The more the board is in the water (further foward) the more into the wind the kayak would go
I also tested out my outrigger (one side) which was also on the leeward side and it too seemed to work without any problems and did help with stability in the stronger gusts when doing a beam reach (cross wind).

Sorry no pics or video this time to eager to get fishing as the salmon where out to play. :up:
Peterj
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: kingfisher

Post by Peterj »

Great to hear it worked well.

I think what you explained about when the board was further forward it turn into the wind more was weather cocking. Happens when the bow is more solid and the stern gets pushed around with the wind as if there is a pivot point on the front.

Oh and as for the pontoons, well the first one worked out very well, just a few more touch ups to perform :thumbsup:
The second one was um , thrown in the bin :wtf: just a couple of measuring mistakes :roll:
swit
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Espri, Kingfisher

Post by swit »

Excellent news on the leeboard performance. Did you find them easy to lift/lower with the arrangement of ropes that you have?
Sue
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.

Post by GoneFishn »

swit wrote:Excellent news on the leeboard performance. Did you find them easy to lift/lower with the arrangement of ropes that you have?
Sue
Yes it is easy to adjust the board. The only issue I had is locking it in place, but that is only due to using clips ill be using jam cleats to lock the ropes in placeplace.