SX40 & 3in minnows

What lures are working and people's reviews and photos on what they have caught on them!
SurfanFish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: dorado, espri

SX40 & 3in minnows

Post by SurfanFish »

I know the SX40s are expensive but in skinny water I can't go past them. I have one that is on its 3rd set of trebles that has taken close to a 100 fish. Flathead to 70cm, bream, whiting and bass. Best return on $20 I've had for fishing gear. My nemesis are those damm frenzy's. Cannot raise a strike from them. I'll have to try them out in a pike paddock.

For SP's, 3in minnows. Tend to use gulps in moldy cheese, smelt or p'seed. Often use powerbaits with success as well. Gulp worms are good as well when rigged with a stinger and light weight. My nemesis are squidgies. I've only every caught 1 flatty from them. Maybe just need to go fishing more.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Re: SX40 & 3in minnows

Post by bilby »

Good reporting, i believe a lot of luck is having confidence in a lure, maybe you concentrate more or are just more alert as you KNOW this lure is going to work, funny isn't it.
My nemisis are those berkley soft vibes tried them and tried them but just can't get a fish. As for Squidgies, i've had great success in the 70mm shads (killer tomato, silver fox, flash prawn, jelly prawn) wrigglers as well in those colors are dynamite on gippsland flathead.
Bilby.
Bill 0409139460
SurfanFish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: dorado, espri

Re: SX40 & 3in minnows

Post by SurfanFish »

I think you're right Bill. I tend to start with what seems to make sense in the water I'm fishing, when I don't get any early action I go straight to what normally works for me and probably concentrate harder on placement, actions etc. Its damm hard to experiment when you spend an hour or 2 fishing with something that looks good, has a good action etc for no result and the minute you go back to a favorite - you're on. I have a few of the soft vibes as well but have only tried once. I think I lost patience too quickly and went back to an SX40 :D. The only answer is more fishing in different conditions and more experimenting.

A couple of other shallow water options that work for me at times are tassie devils on the troll and very small black paddle tail SP grubs.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin