old knowledge or why reinvent the wheel

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

old knowledge or why reinvent the wheel

Post by Ghurkin »

Ive been reading alot about sailing canoes in the last few months, the reason is there's alot more info on them then there is a about sailing yaks. At one stage in England in the late 1800's according to one article Ive read it stated " sailing canoes where just as popular as bicyles" :wtf:

The reason Im reading about sailing canoes is their waterline shape and size is not that much different from the yaks we use today, so why reinvent the wheel when not so long ago adventurous people like us already made very efficient sailing rigs using nothing but the handtools and materials ie; timber, rope and canvas avilable at the time.
So often when I search for modern yak sailing rigs I find very small sails and everbody is so worried about tipping over that they automatically fit amas even when using these small sails.

have a look at this very old you tube vid, dont worry about swastikas on the sail, before Hitler used it they where both a good luck sign and a religious icon.

First thing to notice is, whoooohooo check out the speed this guy is doing :up: imagine how quick you could do a long distance trip at that speed :shock: , second thing is look at the size of the sails :wtf: and, where are the amas??? he even stands up when pulling into shore, no wonder he's smiling at the end of the vid, if I could get my yak to do that sort of speed I reckon Id be grining from ear to ear like a fool too, so would just about any one :D .

I'm prettty sure that the sail rig he is using is a fore (forward) "Lateen' rig with a smaller aft (rear) mizzen sail. most of the info I have gathered indicates that alot of sailing rigs used this two sail rig, the mizzen was rigged loosely and generally looked after itself with the sailor concentrating on the mainsail. A leeboard is used either side and these where usually up to 90cm long and almost 30cm wide.

Cheers a very bored Ghurkwin :)
Last edited by Ghurkin on 13 May 2011, 12:06, edited 2 times in total.
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Re: old knowledge or why reinvent the wheel

Post by Ghurkin »

I seem to be having trouble imbeding a you tube video, any ideas??
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

Wow that thing was really moving.

So far with my sail I haven't needed outriggers and have had it in decent wind mostly downwind as I didn't have the leeboards setup then. With the leeboards now in use and beam reaching (cross wind) it still feels quite stable, the only time I feel it could go over is if the wind gusts hard in this position or tacking and the wind grabs the sail. Both these situations only happen when not prepared for it but as I always have my paddle at the ready to brace I feel confident in the sail.

The reason why I'm making outriggers is 1 for when I take my daughter out for a paddle/fish (she cant sit still :lol: ) and 2 for when the wind is really up and I want to go sailing. Still yet to test that though.

I think you would class my sail as being on the smaller end of the scale but with a smaller sail you can cope with stronger winds with out having to reef any of the sail.
But saying that I have been thinking of making a bigger sail using all the same mounts and fittings but solely for sailing.

Here is a link to a 2 sail rig on a kayak. :up:
http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/Artic ... ling3.html

Here you go
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.

Post by GoneFishn »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqA5xP8J ... e=youtu.be
All you need is this part of the code
PqA5xP8JTWU
past that into this[youtube.]past here[/youtube.]
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

Thanks for your help Kelly, thats sure is a nice looking rig you have there, any vids of it on the water?
Yacker
Yak Master
kayak: Yellow PA and red Q kayak

Post by Yacker »

Gee that looks like fun, out to 19m off MT Martha in a couple of minutes 8-)
Many and strange are the universes that drift like bubbles in the foam upon the River of Time
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

Yacker wrote:Gee that looks like fun, out to 19m off MT Martha in a couple of minutes 8-)
can you imagine the spray coming off a pa at that speed :wtf:

good luck out there yacker, might wanna rug up its raining like a bastard :up: drop in to show us your catch and have a brewski later if you want :up:
Yacker
Yak Master
kayak: Yellow PA and red Q kayak

Post by Yacker »

"out to 19m off MT Martha in a couple of minutes".... thats how long it would take to get there in that sailing canoe. I'm at work, very busy day.... :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Thanks for the offer, will take a rain check (pardon the pun)on the brew
Many and strange are the universes that drift like bubbles in the foam upon the River of Time
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.

Post by GoneFishn »

Ghurkin wrote:Thanks for your help Kelly, thats sure is a nice looking rig you have there, any vids of it on the water?
Not my rig mate.

this is mine
CLICK ON IMAGE TO SEE VIDEO :up:
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

Yacker wrote:"out to 19m off MT Martha in a couple of minutes".... thats how long it would take to get there in that sailing canoe. I'm at work, very busy day.... :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Thanks for the offer, will take a rain check (pardon the pun)on the brew
:oops: ok I didnt read that one properly :oops: :lol: :lol: