rolled my yak

mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Re: rolled my yak

Post by mingle »

Drifta-X wrote:now at smoko and luch i actually got to talk with the idiots i work with insead of reading what you intelegent blokes have to say lol.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
gom
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: pa (olive/green)

Post by gom »

Glad you're OK Rob :thumbsup:
Yak PBs - Snapper 69cm/4.2kg; flathead 45cm; pike 70cm; tailor 30cm; bream 36cm; whiting 37cm; gar 34cm
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

Forget the phone its replaceable your not , try and not worry too much about cobber its not the first time this has happened to a yakker and it wont be the last , its easy for me to say here sitting home in front of the pc but the best advice I can give you is get out there asap preferably with a good buddy and take it one step at a time assuming you want to keep yaking,hope everything works out for you fella take care

cheers cruiser
mob 0423 492 759
vikodin
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

Thanks to you Rob for having the balls to post this.
It gives us all an insight to the biggest issue for us all SAFETY.

I haven't had the balls to admit my fall from the yak,
Maybe this is a good time to share it, I'll try keep it brief.
(Had never practiced righting or re-entry of my yak)
I was on about my second or third ever Yaking adventure about 2km out in PPB with a mate.
After a few hours I needed to pee so stupidly I decided to stand up and pee facing starboard.
Well this went well until I tried to sit back down and over balanced, well I felt my whole yak rolling over and realized I needed to jump before it was upside down (I had basically nothing tied down back then).
As I jumped I got my toe caught on a rope but managed like lightning to jump straight back in no worries at all.
I did have a pfd on at least.
luckily didn't lose any equipment and fished out the day with a bit of a sore toe.
When I came back to shore and got off the yak I found it hard to walk.
Two days later I had an xray as my foot cracked every time i walked and found out I had a broken toe.
All I can say is that I was very lucky and I have learned a big lesson on many aspects now.
gezmeister
The force is strong in this one
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by gezmeister »

I have certainly read some absolutely horrible stories about people having near misses.

The closest I was part of happened last year when I was out showing a friend how to kayak fish at Torquay. The day before I made sure to run him through the safety maneuvers and the next day when we went out unfortunately about 1 km out he overbalanced near a reef. The timing couldn't have been worse as some slightly awkward swell and wind conditions had sprung up and I was about to head closer in. Not good, but not too bad I was thinking. We both had all the right clothing and PFD's etc..

The issue was that in the 'real event' he couldn't get in by himself and we were drifting steadily offshore with the westerly wind. After a few attempts that failed I could see that he was starting to tire & there was also a touch of panic. I was wracking my brains as to how to resolve the issue. In the end what worked was pulling alongside his kayak and bracing it, offering encouragement and holding onto his kayak while giving very precise instructions.

This was a very good example to me how a situation can occur very quickly. Also, a bulky PFD makes reentry very difficult & people get tired after a couple of failures in cold conditions.

Glad to hear you got though it safely, albeit the temporary mental scarring :-)

Gez.
cheaterparts
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

your not a real kayak fisho till you've fallen in - so you have now joined the ranks of a very elite group

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2940

I dug this link out my first unplaned swim from the yak -
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Yacker
Yak Master
kayak: Yellow PA and red Q kayak

Post by Yacker »

Hey Rob, sorry to hear about your mishap, glad you're ok :up:
Many and strange are the universes that drift like bubbles in the foam upon the River of Time
Babylon
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

Hi Rob.
Yep some of us have done it me included, mine was in a storm and
it scared the crap out of me but i had watched vids on remounting
and was able to get back on, think about how you got back on and
if it ever happens again you will have a better understanding.
Chin up and DON'T GIVE up, Kayaking is a blast .Cheers JIm :thumbsup:
Dognut
Square eyes
kayak: .

Post by Dognut »

Dont sweat it Rob. One of the unwritten rules of kayak fishing is "we all fall in eventually" and "iphones are S#!^" One thing i can tell you, and everyone else is, tipping out is part of what we do. It never happens when its convenient and knowing how to remount "its actually easy when you have practised" can be the difference between losing an iphone and losing your life. Its as simple as that. It will take a little bit to get some confidence back but i garuantee you will be a better kayak fisher for the experience.
See ya out there///
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

Hi Rob and good to here you are only shaken, and hopefully wiser for the wear.
:clap: Well done to Bozzie and the boaters for being there for you [:respect:] .
Once you settle down a bit, it may be a good idea to have a de-brief with Bozzie, about just what happened, a bit of a how, where, when is always good.

Before heading out again, I hope you do, do some research and training so you are better prepared next time.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie