Smoking fish...how much sawdust ?

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Smoking fish...how much sawdust ?

Post by wokka1 »

Got a smoker from rays last week $40 managers special. Have come up with some info from the forum and google about timing, methods etc but struggling to find a reference to how much sawdust to put on the tray. The only thing I came up with is that too much will leave a bitter taste. Are we talking a dusting, sufficient to cover the tray, a 2mm layer, 5 mm ?
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: Smoking fish...how much sawdust ?

Post by maverick »

I use about a cup, spread out in the middle of the tray, to about a 10-15cm diameter circle, directly above the burner. Stack the item to be smoked around the sawdust, not directly over it unless it is very dry. If it is too wet it drips on the sawdust and doesn't smoke as well.

I also line the smoker tray with foil, makes it a lot easier to clean, just by lifting out the foil.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
paddles
Apprentice

Post by paddles »

First, I have been using my 'smoker' for twenty odd years and do not just use it as a fish smokers. Below is what I have learned over that time and could help you.

I spray the inside and both racks with cooking spray (courtesy of you know who). Just makes it sooooo much easier to clean. Then I place Alfoil on the bottom, shiny side uppermost and cut a small hole (50mm dia) in the middle of the foil for the sawdust. I slightly dampen my sawdust before I put it into the smoker in a pile in the middle to, the height of which is just under the rack. Place the items on the racks around, but, NOT over the sawdust pile. Place on lid. I fill my burner up to just full and let the internals soak up the metho. I Do NOT top it up, for fish, as this makes it burn to long. Light burner and place unit over burner trying to align the burner with the dust pile.
You need to have confidence that this will work. Do not keep pulling the lid off to check on the progress: this only lets out the smoke. Instead, look in the holes underneath to see if there are any flames: no flames means that the fuel has burned out, and the items will be cooked. You will soon develop your own method after you have used it a few times.
ENJOY the results.

Notes.

DO NOT USE ANY SAWDUST FROM TREES THAT CONTAIN RESIN like pine.
The cooking spray assists in cleaning and does not add any flavour to the items being smoked.
Slightly moistening the sawdust slows the burn time, or put another way, increases the time the smoke stays in the oven.
The burner when filled to this level gives approx 10-15 min burn time. For chicken and other meats, I top it before lighting and this increases the cooking time out to approx 20-25 mins. The longer cooking time also so depends on the volume being cooked.
When not smoking (just cooking) I do not cut the foil base.
wokka1
Yak Master

Post by wokka1 »

Timely post Paddles. Coincidentally tonight was the first run for the smoker after picking up a couple of rainbows in Daylesford yesdy. They came out pretty good for a first try at smoking I reckon, timing was right etc. Just gotta fiddle with some flavours now to get the sort of taste I want. Used hickory which gave it a fairly strong smoke taste which I didn't mind but not to the girlfriends taste. The brine was salt, brown sugar and a spoonful of Hoisin sauce. Will go some sweeter options next time. I saw a youtube with apple cider used, might try apple juice see what happens.

Thanks to yourself and Mav for the info. :thumbsup:
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

Just a quick question at what distance do you seperate the burner from the saw dust

thanks cruiser
mob 0423 492 759
wokka1
Yak Master

Post by wokka1 »

cruiser wrote:Just a quick question at what distance do you seperate the burner from the saw dust

thanks cruiser
There is no adjusment available on the kit i have. By eye I reckon it's about 30 to 40 mm.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

wokka1 wrote: no adjusment available on the kit i have. By eye I reckon it's about 30 to 40 mm
Thanks Warren
mob 0423 492 759