orange safety flag

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Re: orange safety flag

Post by Ghurkin »

momunny wrote:Yep Time to make a new Hig Viz safety flag....mine is 2m below the water line... :lol: :lol:

Hey Ghurkin,

Can you post a close up of your flag. Thanks!
no wuckers momunny, just gotta finish it first :up:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
vikodin
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

i like the idea of the mirrors for daytime, my thought was one or a couple of those small mirror/disco balls you get at the $2 shop at the top of my light pole with a high vis flag stabbed through it.
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

vikodin wrote:i like the idea of the mirrors for daytime, my thought was one or a couple of those small mirror/disco balls you get at the $2 shop at the top of my light pole with a high vis flag stabbed through it.

sounds sexy :D
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Babylon
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

momunny wrote:Yep Time to make a new Hig Viz safety flag....mine is 2m below the water line... :lol: :lol:

Hey Ghurkin,

Can you post a close up of your flag. Thanks!
How did that happen Kell Come on Spill the beans :lol: :lol: :lol: Cheers JIm :thumbsup:
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

The only issue I could see with using mirrors is a boaty or another passerby could think your signaling for help and call the authorities, just a thought.
Bilby
Bill 0409139460
HaTTerS
kayak: None (temporarily)

Post by HaTTerS »

vikodin wrote:i like the idea of the mirrors for daytime, my thought was one or a couple of those small mirror/disco balls you get at the $2 shop at the top of my light pole with a high vis flag stabbed through it.
Sorry to piss on your party, but this is not a good idea.
Bilby is correct.
A flashing mirror is a sign of distress. (it's actually only a distress signal if it's flashing SOS in Morse code... but you won't know what patterns it's flashing to observers all day)

Also, displaying a visual signal consisting of a square flag having above or below it a ball or anything resembling a ball (round or circular in appearance) is a distress signal.

More info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distress_signal
Poised on the edge of sanity.
luckyjack
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: hobie outback

Post by luckyjack »

hi l was fishing right over near french island but l dont have a flag but a orange coat witch stand out and l think if you wear anything bright on up top it will just as well!
herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Post by herbie »

Mate, the seventies have been and gone... :D get off the hooch and get yourself a big ass flag for the hmas tempest...
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360
vikodin
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

HaTTerS wrote:
Sorry to piss on your party, but this is not a good idea.
Bilby is correct.
A flashing mirror is a sign of distress. (it's actually only a distress signal if it's flashing SOS in Morse code... but you won't know what patterns it's flashing to observers all day)

Also, displaying a visual signal consisting of a square flag having above or below it a ball or anything resembling a ball (round or circular in appearance) is a distress signal.

More info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distress_signal
Yep ya just pissed all over the dance floor
Oh well back to the drawing board
I had never heard of the ball below the flag thing before must be an old one hey
herbie wrote:

Mate, the seventies have been and gone... :D get off the hooch and get yourself a big ass flag for the hmas tempest...
Next I'll be told I can't do that because I'm sending smoke signals :mrgreen:
HaTTerS
kayak: None (temporarily)

Post by HaTTerS »

vikodin wrote: Yep ya just pissed all over the dance floor
Oh well back to the drawing board
I had never heard of the ball below the flag thing before must be an old one hey
I hadn't heard of it either till I read that wiki link.
Poised on the edge of sanity.