orange safety flag

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
viperdevil
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Hobie Outfitter & Sevylor Pointer K2

Re: orange safety flag

Post by viperdevil »

luckyjack wrote:hi l was fishing right over near french island but l dont have a flag but a orange coat witch stand out and l think if you wear anything bright on up top it will just as well!

Hi Lucky jack although a orange bright jacket might be of some help, Kayak sits very low in water and it makes it hard to see from a distance especially on a little rough day and makes it hard to see from a distance.
Praz
herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Post by herbie »

viperdevil wrote:
luckyjack wrote:hi l was fishing right over near french island but l dont have a flag but a orange coat witch stand out and l think if you wear anything bright on up top it will just as well!

Hi Lucky jack although a orange bright jacket might be of some help, Kayak sits very low in water and it makes it hard to see from a distance especially on a little rough day and makes it hard to see from a distance.
Hi there, i wear a bright red jacket with reflective tape and have had a number of comments saying i stick out like mutts nuts (i reckon its more to do with the shape of my head :D :D :lol: )

I reckon if you have both then you definitely increase your chances of being seen
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

bilby wrote:The only issue I could see with using mirrors is a boaty or another passerby could think your signaling for help and call the authorities, just a thought.
Bilby
Hadnt thought of that, good tip Billby ;)
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

herbie wrote: (i reckon its more to do with the shape of my head :D :D :lol: )
That pointy head sticks out ay bro, like a pink whiches hat :up:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
snackbox
The force is strong in this one
kayak: rtm k-largo

Post by snackbox »

I wear my bright orange hunting cap in lake tyers since its very flat and my step father said he could see me from around 2km away from the hat.

I will be getting a flag tomorrow as well though since i worked out how to mount it.
Pearcy
Lord of the fish
kayak: Quintrex 480 Freedom Sport (pretend its a big yak)

Post by Pearcy »

herbie wrote:
vikodin wrote:i like the idea of the mirrors for daytime, my thought was one or a couple of those small mirror/disco balls you get at the $2 shop at the top of my light pole with a high vis flag stabbed through it.

Mate, the seventies have been and gone... :D get off the hooch and get yourself a big ass flag for the hmas tempest...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pearcy.
Wannabe Fisherman
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

Post by Wannabe Fisherman »

My flag went under the water in a big of wind due to my dodgy mounting skills. So now I'm on the lookout for a better setup to make sure it stays on, up, and high. Will check out what I have in my workshop at work, then maybe a trip down to bunnings or something. Will post pics when I come to a decision and complete the 'project'
http://www.youtube.com/KayakFishingVids - Currently a work in progress
Ph. 0425 86 30 67
ajt223
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Revolution

Post by ajt223 »

Yep I've gotta get/make myself a flag too. Long overdue.

A question tho: Lets pretend the wind is blowing reasonably constant from the north & a boat is coming at you from either the south or north i.e. the same direction or exactly opposite to the wind. Does the flag flutter around enough so the boatie will still see it?

I'm not looking for excuses not to get one here but what I am thinking more of is, is there a flag that can be seen from any angle, regardless of wind direction? I'm figuring from a top view it would have to be like a cross shape with rigid sides.

aj
kads

Post by kads »

ajt223 wrote:Yep I've gotta get/make myself a flag too. Long overdue.

A question tho: Lets pretend the wind is blowing reasonably constant from the north & a boat is coming at you from either the south or north i.e. the same direction or exactly opposite to the wind. Does the flag flutter around enough so the boatie will still see it?

I'm not looking for excuses not to get one here but what I am thinking more of is, is there a flag that can be seen from any angle, regardless of wind direction? I'm figuring from a top view it would have to be like a cross shape with rigid sides.

aj
just buy bag of bright orange balloons...:thumbsup:
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

Last time I was at M'coota I was talking to a guy who said he could see my flag from the caravan park lookout when I was out near John Bull marker, that's a fair way.
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm