orange safety flag

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
ajt223
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Revolution

Re: orange safety flag

Post by ajt223 »

kads wrote: just buy bag of bright orange balloons...:thumbsup:
Thats not a bad idea except I like the idea of something more permanent. Like a orange soccer ball - that size anyway but not that weight.
kads

Post by kads »

ajt223 wrote:
Thats not a bad idea except I like the idea of something more permanent. Like a orange soccer ball - that size anyway but not that weight.
what about one of those plastic poles that you see at road works..the ones in the rubber base.it is fluro orange with reflective tape at the top...you could put a light in that for night time use...like darth vader's light saber... :lol:
ajt223
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by ajt223 »

kads wrote:
ajt223 wrote:
what about one of those plastic poles that you see at road works..the ones in the rubber base.it is fluro orange with reflective tape at the top...you could put a light in that for night time use...like darth vader's light saber... :lol:
and have my bright orange kiddies plastic ball up there for daytime use. I do like this ball idea for daytime all I need is a stick & I'm away. Can't get charged with theft whereas I might if I somehow acquire one of them roadside safety pole thingys.
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

Thats not a bad idea except I like the idea of something more permanent. Like a orange soccer ball - that size anyway but not that weight

and have my bright orange kiddies plastic ball up there for daytime use. I do like this ball idea for daytime all I need is a stick & I'm away. Can't get charged with theft whereas I might if I somehow acquire one of them roadside safety pole thingys.
saftey is not something to be taken lightly however may I suggest if you cut the ball into a motorctcle style helmet shape you could wear it like a helmet, and we would laugh our asses off and piff toads at a rather excellent target :lol:

on a serious side, check out the photos on the first post and remember, that little flag is a couple of kilometres away and is easily seen, so my suggestion is, keep it simple, get a flag coz we know it can be seen, then play around with other ideas if you want to.

stay safe, be seen, catch fish :up:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
cbarker54
Lord of the fish
kayak: Red Outback

Post by cbarker54 »

I just got red reflective tape at the top of my light pole, not sure how well it works but the red SIK I'm using sticks out like the peverbial anyways.

It is a big consideration for me when I get my next yak as when we fished Limeburners the other week with Gump, Brett, my mate and Dirtygus (I think, sorry buddy) before the armarda went there last week I could only see Brett in the red hodie. I was struggling to see the other colours and there was probably only 500m between us, that either means:

1. I need to get my eyes checked; or
2. Use red as a colour of choice for the yak; or
3. I need to get my eyes checked :? :?

Anyways it is a tough one cause you dont want a 6ft tall neon light overhead when your in close quaters on gin clear water trying to get a fish but ya wanna be safe as well.

My opinion, go red or yellow they seems to be the best contrast against the back drops on the water.

Cheers

CB
CB

I couldnt think of anything witty or funny to say and didnt really want to post my PB fish from the yak cause all I manage to get are toadies so I thought I'd take the time to fill in the blank space and say pretty much absolutely nothing and annoy every-one who has taken the time to read this.
ajt223
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by ajt223 »

Ghurkin wrote:
on a serious side, check out the photos on the first post and remember, that little flag is a couple of kilometres away and is easily seen, so my suggestion is, keep it simple, get a flag coz we know it can be seen, then play around with other ideas if you want to.
And this is why I asked my original question. Yes you can see the flag no worries, but what if the wind was blowing in the same direction as that other kayak is from you? Do they flutter around enuff still to be seen? There's no question a flag is better than nothing but is it always gonna be good?

aj
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

ajt223 wrote:
Ghurkin wrote:
And this is why I asked my original question. Yes you can see the flag no worries, but what if the wind was blowing in the same direction as that other kayak is from you? Do they flutter around enuff still to be seen? There's no question a flag is better than nothing but is it always gonna be good?

aj
Im not sure, never paddled up or down wind to a yak that had a flag, still gotta admit thought thatt its a start and is at least highly visible, in the end its up to the individual, a flag lets you be seen fom most if not all angles, without one in a dark coloured yak like mine it will be harder to spot, basically its cheap easy innsurance.
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
viperdevil
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Hobie Outfitter & Sevylor Pointer K2

Post by viperdevil »

Nothing is fool proof and you need to be prepared to make every effort to be seen for your own safety and if still things go wrong that is fate and you cannot win it.
Praz
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

I'm in need for a new hat and what I have found may just be what we need.
When on the yak I have a Hi Vis flag well above head height and I also wear a Hi Vis work top, but have often thought that a Hi Vis hat would be the ducks nuts.

So surfing the net I came across this.
IMG_3457.jpg
Frillneck
http://www.frillneck.com.au/catalog/ind ... Path=26_40
ajt223
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by ajt223 »

GoneFishn wrote:I'm in need for a new hat and what I have found may just be what we need.
When on the yak I have a Hi Vis flag well above head height and I also wear a Hi Vis work top, but have often thought that a Hi Vis hat would be the ducks nuts.

So surfing the net I came across this.
Frillneck
http://www.frillneck.com.au/catalog/ind ... Path=26_40
Looks bloody stupid but thats something I've been accused of plenty of tiimes before. I blame my parents. Regardless I like it. Good find GoneFishn. Thank you.

aj