Wavedancer Echo V's Sierra.

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Gozz
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 and 2 ebay jobs.

Wavedancer Echo V's Sierra.

Post by Gozz »

Hi guys I'm after a smallish yack and the Echo or the Sierra seem pretty good.
What are the differences between the two, they seem the same under the deck and only a bit different on top of the deck acording to the wavedacer site.

Will these yacks handle the bay if it chops up a little.
I have a kingfisher so I want to stay with wavedancer just downsize a little for rivers and a few bay trip here and there.
Thanks.
kads

Re: Wavedancer Echo V's Sierra.

Post by kads »

I have a sierra and I find it pretty good in a bit of chop. It can feel a little tippy, but I just got used to it and now feel pretty safe.
The only difference I can see is the echo has 3 hatches where as the sierra only has 2, and the sierra has a rear well.Thats why I chose the sierra so I could use the rear recess for storing fish or a crate

If you are going to put a sounder on it, the echo may be better as you have the back hatch to run power/transducer wires. I have a sounder in mine and run the power/tranny wire through the front hatch and into a batt. box in the front of the hull & the tranny is in the hull under my feet.
The echo is 10mm narrower than the sierra, which I doubt you would even notice.

Here are the specs according to the brochure I have.

ECHO
Length - 2.7m
Width - 760mm
Weight - 17kg
Load capacity - 120kg

SIERRA
Length - 2.7m
Width - 770mm
Weight - 17kg
Load capacity - 120kg

I think they would be very similar in the way they handle, its just a choice now whether you want a rear well, or a rear hatch.
But for the price they are a good little light kick about yak.
I payed $550 for mine and that was with an upgraded highback seat, 4 flush mounted rod holders, upgraded f/glass paddle, paddle leash and extra deck loops added over the rear hatch and bungy cord through it. Basically I told wavedance what I wanted and they fitted it while I waited and watched them do it.

goodluck with your choice. :thumbsup:
Gozz
Lord of the fish

Post by Gozz »

Thanks heaps Kads.
I might give wavedancer a call and ask them what the exact difference is.
When I bought my kingfisher I delt with Paul I think it was and he was fantastic, I think he owns a Sierra.
With the sounder I'm hoping the scupper holes are identicle cause then I can transfer my sounder from the kingfish to the Echo/Sierra.
kads

Post by kads »

I just measured my front scuppers for you...they are 50mm centre to centre.
Gozz
Lord of the fish

Post by Gozz »

kads wrote:I just measured my front scuppers for you...they are 50mm centre to centre.
Thanks for going out of your way for me.
I just measured mine and they where 245mm centre to centre, did you mean 250mm.
Ill post another pic so you can see which holes it goes in.
Thanks again mate.
Gozz
Lord of the fish

Post by Gozz »

I just noticed something on the Echo I didn't like which was the rear cargo area.
It didn't have any scupper holes to drain the water out and the seating area being the lowest point I reckon you'd have a wet bum most of the time.
Hmmmm the sierra's looking better and better.
ajt223
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Revolution

Post by ajt223 »

Gozz wrote:I just noticed something on the Echo I didn't like which was the rear cargo area.
It didn't have any scupper holes to drain the water out and the seating area being the lowest point I reckon you'd have a wet bum most of the time.
Hmmmm the sierra's looking better and better.
Correct. My 1st yak was an echo & whoever designed it obviously never sat in one or if they did it was in a swimming pool & not in the real world. Bum was mostly alway wet. I never had a problem with the water in the rear cargo area but it could happen for sure. I used to tie my crate in the back by threading a length of webbing with clips (can't think of their proper name) through the crate & under the ropes around the side & it worked good. If the sierra has the seat higher than the scuppers I'd go for it.

For mine the biggest problem was the stability (or lack of). I never actually got turfed out but went close a few times. Interestingly I sold it to a mate & the 1st time he went on it on the river at Barwon Heads he fell out. I'm guessing both the echo & sierra would be similar in the stability department.

If you go with either of these a mate got one for 25% off when Ray Outdoors had their quarterly 25% off everything sale. Not sure if Rays still sell them or if they still have 25% off everything sales but its worth sussing out.

aj
fishophil
Lord of the fish
kayak: Kingfisher & 2013 Hobie Outback.. and 3 more..

Post by fishophil »

My wife has the wavedance Calypso (HERE, which is 3m long, so a touch longer than the Sierra and Echo, which will make it a little more stable.
It is similar to the encore, with the rear of the kayak being a hatch, insode of a well like the kingy.
She love it, and only fell out once, when side swiped by a wave off carrum while turning one time.
We bought it from the factory at Seaford as a seconds, but there is nothing wrong with it, and you can usually save a few dollars :thumbsup:
Too many freaks. Not enough circuses.
Gozz
Lord of the fish

Post by Gozz »

Thanks guys.
I wish I saw your post earlier ajt233 but I ended buying a echo of ebay so a bit late now but I got it for $250 and it's only 12mths old so worst comes to worst I'll just let my young bloke use it when we go out.
I'm 100kg so maybe stability will be ok, fingers crossed.
Where did most of the water come from when you went out, if it's the scuppers I'll plug them up and see if it helps, the kingie gives me a wet bum also so kind of used to it.

Thanks fishophil.
Yeah I like the Calipso but a cargo area would be a little more user friendly for crate and stuff.
ajt223
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Revolution

Post by ajt223 »

Gozz wrote:Thanks guys.
I wish I saw your post earlier ajt233 but I ended buying a echo of ebay so a bit late now but I got it for $250 and it's only 12mths old so worst comes to worst I'll just let my young bloke use it when we go out.
I'm 100kg so maybe stability will be ok, fingers crossed.
Where did most of the water come from when you went out, if it's the scuppers I'll plug them up and see if it helps, the kingie gives me a wet bum also so kind of used to it.
Can't remember for sure to be honest. I've had the revo over 2 years now. Don't think it was thru the scuppers tho, more likely from over the sides in a bit of chop. Given you weigh about 40kg more than me it may sit lower & come thru the scuppers. Either way for $250 you can't go wrong. You've got a bargain.

aj