kaskazi marlin offshore

Offshore kayak reviews
Jordo
Square eyes
kayak: AI

kaskazi marlin offshore

Post by Jordo »

I've managed to get the marlin offshore now, so doing a write up to add to the database:

Conditions: 2.5m swell with a little bit of chop on top
- also take into account that I have only minimal experience offshore at this stage

This yak was a bit unnerving to be out in at first, with it's lack of primary stability, but I soon learned that the secondary stability is amazing and it won't tip past a certain point (at least it hasn't yet :D ). The swell was not a problem with the marlin, it's design allowed me to easily power up the front of the swell and it raced off down the backside of the it (picking up to 10km/h with minimal effort (almost like catching runners)). This enabled me to paddle a lot further than I would have otherwise been capable of. When paddling side on to the swell the secondary stability was a god send, enabling me to comfortably rock into the swell and keep balanced at all times. In the chop the nose would dive occasionally, but I had full confidence that it would always come true, and it did, with no deviation or loss of momentum. Coming over the top of swells the marlin stayed true to it's course every time. This kayak could no doubt handle these conditions and worse (currently the limiting factor is the inexperienced kayaker).
The seat is extremely low, a guaranteed wet ride, and on both occasions I was sitting in a bucket of water for most of the time. The low seat does however lock your thighs in and give you more control, add that to the hull shape's design enabling you to turn by leaning one way or another and you feel like you have a lot of control in this yak.
Also due to the incredible secondary stability re-entries are easy and sitting side saddle is also surprisingly easy given how low the seat is.
I highly recommend a seat pad of some sort though, I hadn't had time to get one and after nearly 15kms of paddling out from port fairy I was paying the price.

Verdict:
As an offshore kayak, this thing is in it's element. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for an offshore yak as it is defiantly an advantage being able to cut efficiently and track true through the swell and chop. I would also recommend that anyone moving to a glass yak like this one from a plastic yak take the time to get to know it and get use to it, otherwise it will be very unnerving. Once you start to get you to it you will really appreciate the difference.
Time spent in the ocean is time spent living.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: kaskazi marlin offshore

Post by cheaterparts »

I must say I had a little paddle of jordans Marlin and he is right at first it feels a little tippy but the secondary stability cuts in and it's fine
I doubt it would take long to get use to this
being a very light yak it accelerates quick with only a couple of strokes to cruse speed and the finish is very good

It is a very nice jigger you have Jordan - now you just have to blood it with a fish
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

That's a nicely written review Jordo - :thumbsup:
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

jjrou1 wrote:I

This yak was a bit unnerving to be out in at first, with it's lack of primary stability, but I soon learned that the secondary stability is amazing and it won't tip past a certain point (at least it hasn't yet :D ).
Thnt's what the Adventure felt like at first, not having hands on paddle to balance exaggerated it. Once you get used to a yak that is more secondary stability than primary, you almost become one with it like riding a bike. It imparts an incredible sense of control, rather than just being a passenger.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

FishnDive wrote:That's a nicely written review Jordo - :thumbsup:
Great review as well Jordo. :up: Speaking of which you could talk to the mods about changing your VYAK username to Jordo. Easier to remember and pronounce and good to get consistency across forums (not that I can talk).

With the Marlin all you need is a higher performance paddle, a bit of refinement of your paddle technique and then you'll be flying along. ;)
0408 565 763
Jordo
Square eyes

Post by Jordo »

shane wrote:
FishnDive wrote:That's a nicely written review Jordo - :thumbsup:
Great review as well Jordo. :up: Speaking of which you could talk to the mods about changing your VYAK username to Jordo. Easier to remember and pronounce and good to get consistency across forums (not that I can talk).

With the Marlin all you need is a higher performance paddle, a bit of refinement of your paddle technique and then you'll be flying along. ;)
thanks Shane, I've been looking up technique on youtube and I have a new paddle in mind. Also going to PM one of the mods about a name change soon.
Jordo
Square eyes

Post by Jordo »

I've now done over 200ks on this yak, plus another 150 on the dorado II, so I just want to revisit and refine my review. I'll also add more about the dorado and why I have changed to the dorado II.

The more my paddling and my general kayaking ability improves the more I enjoy the marlin. I'm actually craving trying conditions, looking for waves to get airbourne off or smash through. Im finding that the more challenging the conditions the more these yaks come into there own. In sloppy condition there is still no hull slap, and even with the nose burying in every second wave it peirces true with minimal effect on speed and direction. It has taken a lot of work on my paddling to fully appreciate it. The light weight allows for me to easily maintain a high stroke rate meaning i can maintain good speed in winds from any direction. The light weight also allows it to get up to speed almost instantaneously. yesterday I got to see how this yak along with my much improved paddling performed alongside an AI. AI's are the quickest fishing yak on the market, but it light winds i was able to leave it for dead. Now keep in mind I've done a lot of work on my paddling and a lot of kms in recent times, but it shows that these yaks can be incredibly quick if you are willing to work on your own paddle fitness to get the most out of them.
So as for performance, the marlin is exceptional and will give any paddler a lot of room to grow and develop there skills for offshore. This is an exceptional yak for handling offshore conditions.

As for fishability - if there is such a word. This is why I've moved to the dorado. The marlin has better storage setup for kayak camping. But the rear hatch is realistically inaccessible once the crate is on it and you're on the water. Due to the small centre hatch the crate is required to hold fishing gear for easy access. The front hatch is easily accessible on the water and can hold plenty of big fish (still looks empty with a 1m gummy in it). So all in all, it is well and truely fishable if you plan out your trips. For example, yesterday I trolled for couta, jigged for squid, bottom bonce for gummies and live baited all in the one trip. That's a lot of different fishing styles, but with a lot of planning I could limit and arrange my gear so that all that was required was accessible on the marlin. The dorado II, however, has a large recess behind the cockpit, negating the use of a crate as it can hold everything the crate did on the marlin and then some. It also has a fish hatch/rod shoot that extends all the way to the nose, meaning that there is lie down rod storage as well as catch storage. This extra storage is great coupled with almost identical performance, the only trade off is that it is heavier - hence slower off the mark when paddling. The dorado II also comes with a spot for the battery a d feed through points for cables.

All in all, both these yaks are exceptional offshore machines. I probably enjoy paddling the marlin more and it is an absolute joy in sloppy conditions, but the dorado II is better set up for fishing. Now to go put some more fish in the hatch!