Cheaters Skiff

Show off your DIY project!
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Re: Cheaters Skiff

Post by peatop »

pete49 wrote:
cheaterparts wrote: don't worry Jacko I get plenty of welding practice at work - stitch and glue boat building is more like a boilermakers trade - you cut big flat pieces bend and tack them into shape and weld them just the plates are lighter - bend easier but the weld time takes longer to set
I would love some woodwire or woodtrodes to make life simpler. :laughing1:. I'm half way through finishing the kayak (Laker 13 stitch and glue) and now filleting it .
Wasn't this account discussed and decided it's Cheater sunk in the mud account?
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

:lol: couldn't resist ;)
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

pete49 wrote:
cheaterparts wrote: don't worry Jacko I get plenty of welding practice at work - stitch and glue boat building is more like a boilermakers trade - you cut big flat pieces bend and tack them into shape and weld them just the plates are lighter - bend easier but the weld time takes longer to set
I would love some woodwire or woodtrodes to make life simpler. :laughing1:. I'm half way through finishing the kayak (Laker 13 stitch and glue) and now filleting it .
yes some CIG wood craft would make it a quicker process

are you doing the Laker off the free plans or did you grab a set of JEMs pay for laker plans - from memory the paid plans were much the same just a small difference at the bow and stern not as sharp at the bottom

I have a few plans for stitch and glue kayaks - all the plans were free to down load some have be pulled from the net

I have plans for Duane Strosakers Black Skimmer - and his point bennet

also the Tulugaq ( these plans have been pulled from the free section ) and another yak called the No Name

I was going to build the Tulugaq (Inuit for raven ) this is a 5.35 meter by 52 cm bean or the Black Skimmer which is quite a narrow boat at 5.64 meters long and 48 and bit cm wide beam -- I did slim down enough to get in the black skimmer - it seams anyone larger than a 32 inch waste dont fit in this boat

but built my own strip build instead
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
pete49
Apprentice
kayak: perception swing

Post by pete49 »

I paid for the plans as I felt he needed to be acknowledged for the work he does. I am looking at his SOT at the moment and liking his 12 footer and maybe stretch it to 13/14 foot.
He has a couple freebie plans too.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

There has been a bit going on with the skiff and on the Week End instead of unpacking the kite to go fly in the park ( the string would have broken anyway )

So most of the seams for the bulk heads and stingers were epoxy/glass taped and so the scarfing and gluing of the side pannels was next on the list
IMG_1699.JPG
some extra holes were also put in the transom - the upper holes is still the main drains off the deck and the lower holes will be covered by the extension boxes beside the motor - these holes save about 1.2 kg in the wood removed ( I weighed it ) and will give me access to foam fill the extensions with flotation
IMG_1707.JPG
this was done on Saturday and apart from some running around to pick up stuff including running to the Springvale market for some Pillies
half a plan was hatched to fish Sunday but looked at the wind forecast and worked on the skiff instead

IMG_1711.JPG
IMG_1712.JPG
so Sunday the sides were Zippied on and glued in place and the taping finished off after work on Monday
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

So Monday after work apart from finishing off the epoxy/taping of the sides I also got the back sections stuck on the boat
IMG_1713.JPG
KLZJ6225.JPG
these just need a bit of glassing and the tops fitted but will happen after the bottom is glassed

IMG_1716.JPG
and tonight I scarfed up a couple of pieces of hard wood to fit along the outside of the gunnel to support the sides - I'll get them glued up tomorrow with a bit of luck and then the boat can be turned over to fill and sand then glass the bottom

I'd like to think take will be done by the end of the W/E but depends on the weather - it would be nice to get out for a fish
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

Looking good Cheater.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

Looking good, not long from the test run now :thumbsup:
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

So time to stroke its bottom - I got the skiff off the assembly jig which was pretty easy it's still quite light
IMG_1717.JPG
must say it looks the goods sitting on the ground

after changing the A/jig forms to something that would support the skiff up the other way I slid it back on

a bit of playing with a block plane to take some epoxy lumps off and trim the edges at the side/bottom join
then pulled out the random orbital sander and started to smooth it out to get ready to glass
IMG_1718.JPG
IMG_1719.JPG
there's still a bit of filling of some seams and sanding to do ( maybe a few hours of it ) before the glassing can be done but the bottom looks pretty fair already it will be really just a clean up and some sharp joins that will need a radius sanded into them so the fibre glass will follow these curves
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

Im not sure about this build Cheater, are you sure it's not a jet ski in disguise? It looks like it will be a lot of fun getting from A to B to fish :evilgrin: lol it sure looks the part though :up: i should stop following this thread now before i start buying the timber :o i already have the cable ties :lol: