Revo 16 Sounder - Where to put head unit?

Show off your DIY project!
aussieDave
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobbie Outback

Re: Revo 16 Sounder - Where to put head unit?

Post by aussieDave »

Hi Kieth,
laneends wrote: ...
Previous owner would have know about this and maybe why he got jack of it.
No he's very new to the sport, I know the previous 2 owners and they were both not motivated to use it properly, Aaron the previous owner is a newbie and found it too tippy for him so I paid him a fair price to help get him into a new passport, he wanted to get into offshore fishing but when we took him out he turned back as soon as we got into the ocean. Matt the owner before that was just not really motivated being a bit spooked by GWS's and passionate about fishing the rock ledges.
laneends wrote: ...
To be honest it would not put me off buying one as yakdoc can easily fix that neatly, sent him an email (0457 780 893 e-mail yakdoc@yakdoc.com) and he can give you a price for plastic patch welding that hole, it may not be as much as you think. it would be a better and more reliable fix. Putting a ram mount/starport on is also not an acceptable solution as that is also an above deck fitting so could still leak anyway.
A good point mate, yakdoc is probably a bit far from Adelaide so I'll look into a local plastic welder

Dave
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

One tip with those early boats, never ever use that bottom small drain plug under the rudder otherwise you risk forgetting to screw it back in and you wont notice being under the rudder, until your boat starts filing with water when you are out there..I did that, and have heard of others doing it too. I think hobie removed that subsequently
Fish Grylls
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revo

Post by Fish Grylls »

Nice purchase Dave, hopefully will be able to deal with the leak issue. Would be curious to know how it handles the offshore conditions. If the borders open you need to try to make it a bit further than Portland and see if we can catch a couple of snaps off PI.
aussieDave
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobbie Outback

Post by aussieDave »

Hi Tas, hope you are good mate.
Fish Grylls wrote:Nice purchase Dave, hopefully will be able to deal with the leak issue. Would be curious to know how it handles the offshore conditions. If the borders open you need to try to make it a bit further than Portland and see if we can catch a couple of snaps off PI.
Oh... now you're talking my language, I am so badly hanging out to catch a snapper, I haven't caught one since those pinkies at the NSC in January.

I'd love to make that trip we spoke about to chase some snapps at PI with you, Maybe in December if I'm allowed.

Oh man, do you remember discussing covid and footy at SWR this year... well I haven't been to 1 game this year and I let them keep my full membership fee for both tickets, I didn't think back then that I'd be doing that but times have changed so much. What a year its been.

Dave
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Dave, If you can't find a plastic welder in SA you can try a temporary seal over the bung cover with some Flexiseal https://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-600 ... t_p1210365
I had a large crack around the cup holder in the rear deck behind the seat on my AI that was always under water and used to let a lot of water in. I used flexiseal layered over the area to keep water out of it for about a year before the yakdoq did a permanent plastic weld to fix it.

Also if you find you need more room or stability you can try fitting a Finn Outrigger to one side to make an amma and tramp as a lot of guys in WA have (I believe Brendan did this):https://finnboats.com.au/galleries/outriggers/
0408 565 763
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Dropping a dagger board in, even if a home made one works wonders for some instant primary stability that you can insert or pull as it suits, also works in place of a drift chute to so slow down side drifts.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

im with Keith on that power outlet when i saw that pic I thought wow bad location, however for the aluminium you can pick that up from any steel supplies or maybe scrap metal place, to bend it just heat it up a bit (be careful as aluminium has the highest heat transfer so wear gloves) and use a vice or any right angled piece of steel (trailer draw bar works well) without heating it you will probably want a fold radius of 2.5 times the thickness of the material this will stop it from getting stress fractures, and grats on you nice new craft :up:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm