Adventure Island trailer mod

Show off your DIY project!
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Adventure Island trailer mod

Post by maverick »

Decided to make a box for the AI trailer to carry all the gear in. Almost finished now, just need to move the axle 200mm forward and paint the box. It hold plastics tubs in one side and rods, wheels, drives etc in the other side.
AI box.jpg
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Re: Adventure Island trailer mod

Post by maverick »

AI inside.jpg
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Post by outback paul »

Nice one Pete, bend your knees a bit and you've got your overnight accommodation sorted :lol:
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

outback paul wrote:Nice one Pete, bend your knees a bit and you've got your overnight accommodation sorted :lol:
Advantage of being short, no bending required. :yahoo:
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Post by erik the viking »

Hey Mav;
That looks perfect for storage.
Is that marine ply or just run of the mill stuff?
And did you use ss screws or just gal nails?
What coating did you use for the inside and outside?
Normal plastic paint or epoxy?

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

Just playing devil's advocate here, but wood for a trailer-box?

I get the DIY angle, but that seems like a whole world of pain waiting to happen...

There's a good reason all commercial boxes are made for welded galv or alloy.

Cheers,

Mike.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Looks great Pete. :up: Good idea to keep all the wet and smelly stuff out of the Audi.

My new alloy trailer should be finished in a bit over a week so we will be able to compare storage options etc up at SWR.
0408 565 763
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

mingle wrote:Just playing devil's advocate here, but wood for a trailer-box?

I get the DIY angle, but that seems like a whole world of pain waiting to happen...

There's a good reason all commercial boxes are made for welded galv or alloy.

Cheers,

Mike.
strangely enough Mike I also went with wood this time however I did a stitch and glue set up with epoxy and glass over the marine ply

this wont rust out like my steel box did as for aluminium I could have gone that way as I;m set up to weld it but the cost would have been more and it would probably be heavier than the wood box

and Mav you wont know yourself with that much storeage
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the comments and feed back.

Stainless legs and stainless tabs that the timber frame is bolted to with stainless bolts. The ply is structural ply, not marine and is screwed together with screws designed for use with t/pine.

It will be painted outside, perhaps inside, but all the gear sits inside plastics tubs with lids, inside the unit. Except for mirage drives and the trolley. So shouldn't get wet I hope, If it does, I can just open it all up to dry.

I might move the mast mount, still undecided on that, as I can fit a small tent on top if I want to camper it :evilgrin: Small cooker etc inside the box.

Welding wasn't an option for me, so timber it is. I hope it works. :wtf: Your points are noted Mike - that is why I posted it, feedback good or bad is greatfully accepted. If it works, I may replace the timber with steel and ally, and make it so it can lift up and down a little. Lower for travelling, higher to get the yak on and off. Bring on SWR.
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Post by erik the viking »

maverick wrote:Thanks for the comments and feed back.

Stainless legs and stainless tabs that the timber frame is bolted to with stainless bolts. The ply is structural ply, not marine and is screwed together with screws designed for use with t/pine.

It will be painted outside, perhaps inside, but all the gear sits inside plastics tubs with lids, inside the unit. Except for mirage drives and the trolley. So shouldn't get wet I hope, If it does, I can just open it all up to dry.

I might move the mast mount, still undecided on that, as I can fit a small tent on top if I want to camper it :evilgrin: Small cooker etc inside the box.

Welding wasn't an option for me, so timber it is. I hope it works. :wtf: Your points are noted Mike - that is why I posted it, feedback good or bad is greatfully accepted. If it works, I may replace the timber with steel and ally, and make it so it can lift up and down a little. Lower for travelling, higher to get the yak on and off. Bring on SWR.

That's the great thing with VYAK.
Post something and there will be oooddles of info available for you to make note of, or ignore.
Your choice, but the wealth of experience here is never going to be superseded. :thumbsup:
That is why I took up yakking.
I stumbled across this site before I even had a yak. I enjoyed reading the reports and readily available info.
Bought a yak and never looked back. :thumbsup:
Thanks VYAK.