Show off your DIY project!
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Re: A.I Rudder Steering Tips +

Post by Yako »

shane wrote:
Yako wrote:
Just gotta get a decent top now to stop the waves getting inside my Kokatat pants.
I looked at SLH’s Red jacket & spray top but they won’t stop water pushing in through the neck area.
I might just not bother and wear my 3/4 wetsuit underneath.
What do you find works for you?
If you don't fancy getting wet then I would strongly suggest you look into a full drysuit. Even with a well fitting top and bottom waves and imersion will push water in, soaking you around the mid-rift and below. A full dry suit is much much more comfortable, especially in cooler conditions and is well worth the investment (although not cheap). I have a spare medium suit (palm bora) that doesn't fit me that I could part with, although there are more basic suits available. There aren't many available in AU but you will find some online either through amazon, ebay or overseas retailers.
Getting wet only really bothers me in winter, I’ve got a dry suit I’m looking at, so that’s sorted thanks.
John 3.16/17
hoit
The force is strong in this one
kayak: AI & AI2

Post by hoit »

Yako wrote:Getting wet only really bothers me in winter
I heard those exact words last Saturday before launching at Cape Woolamai to chase the Tuna off Kilcunda.

I was tossing up whether I should wear my trusty Kokatat Angler gimp suit (that I have owned for 10 years) as it was quite warm. I had an absolute hoot out wider, despite no Tuna, as I was dry and comfortable.

A kayak trailer and a dry suit are great options to maximise your AI enjoyment.
Fish Grylls
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revo

Post by Fish Grylls »

Good weekend to get wet this weekend, 5.5 meter swells out the front of the island. :lol:
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

I was out 3rd April down past The Nobbies and made the mistake of launching from Shoreham instead of Flinders which added at least 1 Hr to the return journey.
Not much was happening out there except 2 boats heading in from further out and a yacht under power heading in from Kilkunda side who decided to circle me, possibly to see if I was ok :lol:
The A. I handled those conditions just fine and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.
I’m not sure I’m up for 5.5m breaking waves, swells don’t bother me depending on my speed and as long as they stay reasonably spaced without cresting.
Just not fun having the wind pushing you into the swell in front of you and you’re wondering if it’s going to pitch pole you (but that’s another story) :D
John 3.16/17