A.I Rudder Steering Tips +

Show off your DIY project!
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: A.I Rudder Steering Tips +

Post by shane »

I ran an over the side transducer on my old AI and didn't have an issue with it. My current sounder is still in for warranty and the temporary sidescan transducer I'm using doesn't fit in the lowrance ready well. So I've welded up a stainless steel arm over the side off a railblaza. I've used it at Portland and SWR and it works well. I wouldn't count out an over the side if its put together well. I'd much rather that than have a plastic well in the bottom of the hull fail at a bad time. :shock:
0408 565 763
shane
Vyak Addict

Post by shane »

Here is the "temporary" transducer mount. (it normally sits behind the main sheet line)

0408 565 763
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

Thanks Shane, I think for my weekend sail I might knock up something like that.
In regards to “well” failure etc I have a fair bit of experience :P
Fortunately I’ve moved on and have done many plastic repairs and mods on plastic kayaks so I have no concerns to chop & weld provided I have the right pieces.
I’m also pondering if there’s any market to move in repairs of boats and yaks as I have a fair bit of experience working with fibreglass (making moulds, manufacturing and repairs). Anyway still considering it.
John 3.16/17
Yako
Lord of the fish

Post by Yako »

I’m also considering safety lines on the from AMA’s like this clip.
Would something like this saved your AKA from breaking Shane?
Also I note this spray skirt is smaller which may lessen catching waves, what are your thoughts on the safer lines & small skirt?
Has anyone had AMA,s accidentally unplug or the securing elastic chords snap while at sail?
Thanks
John 3.16/17
shane
Vyak Addict

Post by shane »

Yako wrote: Would something like this saved your AKA from breaking Shane?
They possibly would have. However that style of line would only be useful if I only wanted to sail and not land fish. To land fish I fold back the right amma and that style of line prevents this. It's also more fussing around with setup than I want. The AI already takes too long to get going. My p[refered arrangement would be to go back to nylon bolts but to supplement with a strong stainless steel cable back-up instead on the current plastic. This would allow the nylon bolt to take the impact but the cable to prevent collapse. I just haven't got around to making this up yet.
0408 565 763
Yako
Lord of the fish

Post by Yako »

I must Shane, you’re right about taking time to set up an A.I takes some time.
Also the rudder worked perfectly today (see my trip report), so obviously I just hadn’t locked it down in the roller cleat.
I also had an old 1&1/4” Ram style ball that I drilled down the centre & fitted it to the steering handle which I used the whole time I was out today what a pleasure and I reckon it works better than Hobie’s one :P
Just gotta get a decent top now to stop the waves getting inside my Kokatat pants.
I looked at SLH’s Red jacket & spray top but they won’t stop water pushing in through the neck area.
I might just not bother and wear my 3/4 wetsuit underneath.
What do you find works for you?
Thanks
Edit:
Picked a seat as well I need to modify to fit
Attachments
79E362E7-1BD1-4C38-AD12-C56C49DDD3A0.jpeg
23FB1392-37C4-4797-8E9B-F3E1308D9ED4.jpeg
John 3.16/17
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

I favour the 'keep-out' lines, rather than stronger shear-pins...

When fishing they are an added obstruction, but they're definitely a better solution.

Make sure you use something with zero-stretch though, like thick dyneema.

Cheers,

Mike.
Yako
Lord of the fish

Post by Yako »

mingle wrote:I favour the 'keep-out' lines, rather than stronger shear-pins...

When fishing they are an added obstruction, but they're definitely a better solution.

Make sure you use something with zero-stretch though, like thick dyneema.

Cheers,

Mike.
The bloke in that video had a short section I saw on another of his posts showing a length of about 8 inches of thick bungee type chord attached on the AMA and then the rope goes to the front eye on the yak, I’m not sure why he did that, perhaps to flex a bit with initial impact until it pushes back.
If I fit lines like that, I will fit 2 rollers at the bow running back to to 2 roller cleats to keep in place for quick release (for those big fish l catch :lol: I hope).
John 3.16/17
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

Yako wrote:The bloke in that video had a short section I saw on another of his posts showing a length of about 8 inches of thick bungee type chord attached on the AMA and then the rope goes to the front eye on the yak, I’m not sure why he did that, perhaps to flex a bit with initial impact until it pushes back.
Probably... It's also worth noting that you need lines fore and aft too, as the amas can fold either way!

I made some up that fitted between the front and rear aka (on each side), rather from the front/rear of the hull.
(see attached pic - the red 'crosses' are where the lines would go. They did tend to get in the way a bit, but were
pretty well-hidden when I had the trams installed.

Cheers,

Mike.
Attachments
index.jpg
index.jpg (28.6 KiB) Viewed 2823 times
shane
Vyak Addict

Post by shane »

Yako wrote:
Just gotta get a decent top now to stop the waves getting inside my Kokatat pants.
I looked at SLH’s Red jacket & spray top but they won’t stop water pushing in through the neck area.
I might just not bother and wear my 3/4 wetsuit underneath.
What do you find works for you?
If you don't fancy getting wet then I would strongly suggest you look into a full drysuit. Even with a well fitting top and bottom waves and imersion will push water in, soaking you around the mid-rift and below. A full dry suit is much much more comfortable, especially in cooler conditions and is well worth the investment (although not cheap). I have a spare medium suit (palm bora) that doesn't fit me that I could part with, although there are more basic suits available. There aren't many available in AU but you will find some online either through amazon, ebay or overseas retailers.
0408 565 763