New Vyak member and new to Melbourne fishing

New? Say G'Day here!
Toddy
kayak: Orca triton

New Vyak member and new to Melbourne fishing

Post by Toddy »

Hi all my name is Todd
I’m relatively new to Melbourne and have only done a handful of kayak trips out on PPB, I have done a fair bit of yak fishing back home in NZ before moving to Aus.
My new kayak is pretty well set up and ready to go.
I don’t eat fish I do it because I enjoy the sport and I love getting out on the water. That is why I do prefer to chase larger species of fish “game fish” in saying that I’m generally happy as long as I’m bending a rod .
I am definitely interested in information regarding spots and launch locations, and always keen to get together with fellow yak fishos to hit the water with.

Thanks for the add
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: New Vyak member and new to Melbourne fishing

Post by maverick »

Welcome Todd, what area are you in? Mateeee N.Z. - that is where the kayak based game fishing is, not Vic LoL. Might see you down at Portland/Port Fairy. What sort of yak are you fishing from?

Mav.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Toddy

Post by Toddy »

I’m living in Sunbury so no where near the beach haha.
Yeah I’ve landed a few kingfish on the yak in NZ.
Portland I haven’t been to that part of the world yet, I’ll definitely check it out. I just need info on what waters are yakable and where to never even think about...
I have an orca triton which is a tandem that I have set up as a solo due to needing the high weight capacity. I have a 55lb transom Mount with a 140ah primary battery plus a 50ah secondary battery, with Lawrence sounder and the usual bits and pieces.

I was reading an old thread about a trip to the Cody bank.... that would be cool.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

Sounds like an intersting rig. In Vic, it wiill need to be registered as a boat, due to the engine size.

The Kings in Vic (I reckon) are becoming more common at more locations a lot more locally. West coast side of the bay would be closest for you, post lockdown. Not an area I am familiar with, until you get about 3 hours down the coast to Warrnambool/Port Fairy/Portland.

East Coast side, Flinders, Phillip Island, Cale Lip Trap, The Prom and the up the coast north of Lakes Entrance.

Southern Blue Fin Tuna are also becoming more relevant with a recent sighting of a school of fiish within the bay. The PPB heads is not a place for yak unfortunately.

Plenty of posts about Portland. Use the search function and type in Shane or Lobo , Kingfish or Tuna and you have it all just about covered. Lol.

If you don't mind mud, WPB holds gummys which can be great fun on lighter gear in shallow water.
Toddy

Post by Toddy »

Thanks Maverick
All very useful information, especially the part about boat registration... I didn’t realise about that, I’ll have to look into it.
I did a trip last month up to 90mile beach and caught a lot of salmon during the day and a lot of small sharks at night, will definitely head back in summer...
I will do some reading up while I wait for this bloody Wind to die down.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

Yep, over 40lbs of thrust = boat rego, all the boat safety gear and a Boat Licence. Welcome to the Nanny State.
Toddy

Post by Toddy »

Did I say 55lb I meant 35lb :lol: that is ridiculous, so because I have an electric motor that can probably get me up to 6 or 7 Kph I am in the same category as a 200hp boat... well rules are rules I suppose.

I’m itching to do some fishing, i would love to meet up with some of you guys and head out for a fish when we’re allowed to and the weather is right.
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

Under 40 you should be ok. Look up the Marine Safety Victoria web sight and you may find the rule(s) in writing.
Toddy

Post by Toddy »

Yeah I have had a look after you mentioned it. Need a marine license and registration if your vessel is more than 40lb’s of thrust. Thanks for the info. How often do you get out on the yak ?