Thinking Back

Completely off topic!
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Re: Thinking Back

Post by choppers »

Geez u old blokes get into it...
My six year old son stared blankly at me when I mentioned we had no internet as kids.

I'm only 32 but clearly remember primary school..2 apple pc's in the library. Mum was a teacher so we got to play after hours :clap:
And at sixteen I got my first mobile phone. But no one else had one so it rarely got used. But I was cool back then
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

choppers wrote:Geez u old blokes get into it...
My six year old son stared blankly at me when I mentioned we had no internet as kids.

I'm only 32 but clearly remember primary school..2 apple pc's in the library. Mum was a teacher so we got to play after hours :clap:
And at sixteen I got my first mobile phone. But no one else had one so it rarely got used. But I was cool back then
I had the internet when you were 12.
Luckyphil
Square eyes
kayak: 14ft timber sea kayak, redfish 14

Post by Luckyphil »

Good memories Dig,
I grew up in the Eastern suburbs of Melb, Mum and Dad had a pic of me and my brother playing in the dirt at the side of Springvale road in Nunawading when it was a 2 lane rd with no kerbs etc.
Used to have the "dunny man" come around, and the Milko.
Used to walk to the local pool and stay all day, until dad got home from work and him and mum would come down, have a swim and bring tea. We would have been only 9 or 10 years old, we used to be out riding bikes, billy carts and skateboards until dark or later. As you say no sickos to worry about back then.
Moved to the bush when I was 30 and our kids came along, we wanted them (and Us) to have a better life than the way Melb was going. It was like going back in time, and apart from a few learning experiences was the best thing we ever did.
Cheers
Phil
It`s life Jim, but not as we know it ![/b

Pbs: black bream 38, Gummy 1100, whiting 38, flathead 60+,
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

You forgot to mention playing footy on the road and some one yelling out car as a car approached.
The footy game would stop and after the car had passed the ball would be thrown in from the footpath to the middle of the road and the game would re commence.
Entertainment was outside doing stuff not inside looking at screens.
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

Every kid could make and own a shanghai, Air rifles were legal in the street, emporer gum moth caterpillars, and old large ball race wheels on billy carts. Going to the milk bar with a billy for a quart of milk or a pint of icecream. Buying a warm loaf of bread for school lunch across the road at the bakery for a cost of threepence (2 cents). Fires and combustion heaters in classrooms in winter. I think I would have had a very broad experience as a kid as I attended primary school in Vic, Tas, N.T. and A.C.T. Getting your tongue washed with sandsoap for swearing. Aaaah, the good old days.
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

Luckyphil wrote:Good memories Dig,
I grew up in the Eastern suburbs of Melb, Mum and Dad had a pic of me and my brother playing in the dirt at the side of Springvale road in Nunawading when it was a 2 lane rd with no kerbs etc.
Used to have the "dunny man" come around, and the Milko.
Used to walk to the local pool and stay all day, until dad got home from work and him and mum would come down, have a swim and bring tea. We would have been only 9 or 10 years old, we used to be out riding bikes, billy carts and skateboards until dark or later. As you say no sickos to worry about back then.
Moved to the bush when I was 30 and our kids came along, we wanted them (and Us) to have a better life than the way Melb was going. It was like going back in time, and apart from a few learning experiences was the best thing we ever did.
Cheers
Phil
Agree totally Phil. You know where I live and no way could I ever go back to suburbia, unless it's around here that is. Best thing we ever did too!
Patroller
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Patroller »

sog wrote:Dad would make me sit in the kitchen when Number 96 was on
I'd bloody freeze watching it through the crack in the sliding door since the only heater in the house was the briquette fireplace in the lounge room
Aw Andy that made me laugh aloud! All those evenings kids must have spent frozen watching from around the kitchen wall only to see Arnold Feather's naked buttocks. Wasn't it shocking! :o
I thought I got a bite...........but it was just a bit of weed.
Patroller
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Patroller »

I love hearing about life before technology and how things were done. I had older parents from older parents so I got a looksee into the old ways my family hung on too. They grew veggies, kept ferrets for rabbits, killed a chook once a month. Mum used to feed us Tongue, brains & all the offal cuts so we could afford better cuts now and then. The milky used to deliver in the middle of the night and one night the horse startled when the milky was at our place and he hollered something shocking at the horse. Next morning while eating porridge Dad hesitated and said to Mum, 'how would the milky know whether the horse had a father or not?'
I thought I got a bite...........but it was just a bit of weed.
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

"I thought I got a bite...........but it was just a bit of weed." Chuckle~

Then there was "Kingswood Country".

Cracked me up something chronic.
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

Does nobody have fishing memories?

Line wrapped around a Coca-Cola bottle.
Converted tank aerial fishing rods.
Measuring hauls of redfin by the sugar bag.
Murray river so clean you could see the bottom.
Walking across the Murray river in summer before Yarrawonga weir was completed.
As much elodea as you could gather in your arms in a single haul produced enough shrimp for a day's fishing.
Seeing 100lb+ cod hanging in the butcher's cool room.
Carp so thick in the water the easiest way to get them was with a rifle.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/