East Gippsland Fires.

Completely off topic!
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Re: East Gippsland Fires.

Post by peatop »

4liters wrote:
Steve_R wrote:Fascinating and scary timeline of fires developing from Dec 2 to January 5.
https://www.theage.com.au/environment/w ... 53pj9.html

Timeline progress is not constant. Watching the date helps interpret the image.
Check out the video that The Conversation put up on Facebook , hopefully the link works: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 4152419221
Wow that's a pretty graphic representation of how bad it was and is, with masive fire fronts and the total area under affect just in the southern areas :o
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

peatop wrote:
4liters wrote:
Steve_R wrote:Fascinating and scary timeline of fires developing from Dec 2 to January 5.
https://www.theage.com.au/environment/w ... 53pj9.html

Timeline progress is not constant. Watching the date helps interpret the image.
Check out the video that The Conversation put up on Facebook , hopefully the link works: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 4152419221
Wow that's a pretty graphic representation of how bad it was and is, with masive fire fronts and the total area under affect just in the southern areas :o
NASA seemed a good source, as would be Uni of Tas but it won't run for me. There is a lot of BS being spread all via social media at the moment, including one the ABC was forced to apologise about broadcasting (if it was an apology). That's without getting into the raving loonies pushing their own political agenda or passing it on without thought there is usually more depth than a one-sided rant. We need our Bullshit meters turned up to maximum at the moment.

Helicopters started buzzing overhead just now. That one was close. Skycrane #730 just flew about 100m above-head (a little closer directly over people congregated at a funeral - could be a victim but not sure). The chopper is on its way to attack the chip mill fire that looks set to choke Eden in smoke for many weeks.

My almost 3YO granddaughter is captivated by this photo of the chip mill fire. She keeps repeating the helicopter is asleep. It is a great photo, even if it represent a lot of harm. To get some idea of scale look at the trees in front of the fire.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

Gee Digger, I am so glad that you and others in your position are receiving such fantastic help. I really hope that that help continues for a long time. Particularly in the mental health area as was mentioned in a previous input. Having a son suffering PTSD I have an understanding of how debilitating and frustrating people's mental state can be after a traumatic event like this. It makes me as an individual feel so sad and powerless for them. So come on Mr Federal Government, dig deep and long, these people genuinely need help and lots of it.
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

Actually Larry all levels of government have their collective fingers out! from day one we had them all on our property helping and planning.

Mallacoota would be in a real mess if it wasn’t for our services bringing in supplies and evacuating people. They brought in fuel, food and water whe; it was vitally needed. Last night there were army low loaders around, obviously transporting big machinery.

We met with the local member last night and spoke to the mayor at kength, both people well known to us. A recovery plan is well under way.
It won’t be cheap and it won’t be quick but so much has happened in little more than a week. I have nothing but praise for al, levels of government and support organisations at this early time, they are throwing everything at us!

Picking up supplies in town yesterday I came away with tears in my eyes at the kindness of people and local traders I dealt with. I picked up 4 litres of bar oil and some 2 stroke from a chainsaw dealer. It must have come too $70 or so and he refused payment. You’ve been a customer for a long time Rob and I’m happy to give back. I thanked him and stumbled out tears running down my face embarrassed by my weakness.

Then as I passed the park there was a van offering FREE fish & chips to anyone. He was from out of town and was still there after 6 when we passed on our way to a meeting.

Many business said Sarsfield, you get extra discount. I’m humbled by their generosity. I’m a person that loves to give but am bloody harper to give to, I’m learning a valuable lesson but also have no choice.

I got home from town to find a good mate had dropped his generator off and run leads so we can run the fridge, TV and even boil a kettle. He even loaned me a bag of tools knowing that mine were all lost in the fire.

The meeting last night was the start of our recovery and we spent time talking to the state minister and the mayor and are convinced they are doing all that is possible.Despite much criticism of government for in action we aren’t seeing that at all, it’s evident akll around us and there is so much help it’s almost too much, they are throwing everything at us, no thought to

I havent got time to check this so probably full of errors. We are only days from moving back home thanks to our local trades.

Australian people are terrific, local all people are awesome!
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

I'm in discussion with someone stranded in 'coota. He decided (many times now) not to evacuate on ship or chopper. He says stranded people are becoming angry roads are not yet open. It sounds like they are comfortable but lack good communication on progress. That's not a surprise. There are plenty of people more than willing to fill gaps in knowledge with speculation, which would make exacerbate the situation. The lesson is, if Government send in the military to evacuate, accept.

Its good to hear you decided to accept the generator, after all.

Free fish and Gull food would be hard for many to resist!

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

Chuckle, we had to ditch the contents of 2 fridge freezers and a freezer, estimated to be so $400 value.

Ouch!

Another busy and productive day!

Our electrician has had a productive day and we have bloody big holes to prove it! He has found the power coming in from the road and is connecting into it so hopefully power will back soon.He says getting authorities to sign off can be slow and if they muck around there will be important people called to sort them out! It’s not what you know....

Our sister Roz who lived in our cottage and lost everything she owned. A call from oUr mayor whom we had a long chat with last night to say help that she has been given so far is just the tip of the iceberg! There will be much more to come. Roz was thrilled and in tears when she told us.

We have to meet representatives of WFI (Westfarmers) at home at 7.45am and believe they may want to settle the claim tomorrow. From assessment to settlement inside a week would be spectacular! My goodnesses they are just the best insurers you could hope for!

Currently there are people actively trying to whip up anger about government in social media!

As someone on the ground and affected I can tell you it’s all bullsh!t! All tiers of government are throwing everything at us and frankly it’s overwhelming!
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Glad to hear Diggers, i hope everyone in all affected areas are getting the help they need :up: unfortunately social media is like the uncontrolled meda of the past and situations are just a form to glorify themselves without the care in the thought of what they are doing to others :bootyshake: myself i use messenger to chat to family and friends but hardly ever go or post to Facebook or any other social media well i post here ofc :thumbsup:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

The response you are describing Digger makes me feel so glad and so proud to be an Aussie. Wow, This type of response is unprecedented. Full marks to all levels of government for their fantastic efforts. Thank you Australia.
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

It's not a weakness Digger, you have been through an extremely emotional time that most would never experience in their lifetime.
The gratitude you have shown I'm sure most when put in your situation would react the same, I think all are happy that there is positives coming your way.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

Went back to pick up my Caravan and spent a few days at Lake Tyers.
Not very pleasant on a couple of nights from smoke but it did clear up yesterday arvo and this morning.
Wanted to stay a bit longer but my wife was with me was freaking out and our kids messaged to say they weren’t happy, so we came back today.
Lakes was very deserted, I feel for all who have lost business, not to mention homes and livestock in the other areas.
I did pick up a nice 52cm Flatty yesterday which went down well for Tea.
A couple of picks from yesterday.
Glad to hear you’re back in your house Digger.
If I hadn’t left the van behind in the first evacuation rush, I would not have gone back.
Must say I did feel guilty for staying a few days with so many losing so much & suffering (was monitoring the Emergency App and ABC Radio)
I plan on being there end of the year again if possible as it’s a nice part of the world and people there are awesome.
Hopefully no more fires and plenty of support for hurting communities.
Attachments
20C8D2D1-A711-4A34-9463-D81F2ABC4834.jpeg
BD9F7044-2075-4B45-B8C8-94D924392502.jpeg
A93B80A8-752D-4933-941B-9DD63EFEB396.jpeg
D75B2A46-E125-4DD3-B261-C88061A1C8ED.jpeg
John 3.16/17