East Gippsland Fires.

Completely off topic!
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Re: East Gippsland Fires.

Post by Widsa »

I agree Rich, these bastards who start the fires should be burnt themselves if you ask me. They are cowards and murderers and it grinds my gears.

Thinking of you Digger and all those affected, it is bloody rough mate and I'm pleased to see you have a positive attitude. Most things lost to fires are replacable besides life.

Hats off to the fire fighters and all the volunteers, we can't thank them enough.

Widsa.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

The good thing is Digger we get to read your report :thumbsup:

My brother was getting out of Eden today, my daughter and others left Metung at the height of the fires as it was to smokey and is currently still in Bairnsdale ( good for her to have close family around) at the pub.

This will be an economic disaster for the whole region, from the Latrobe Valley east to be shut down over prime holiday periods and then the rebuilds, lack of tourism after the fires are gone the ongoing effects will be great.

It's my favourite area in the state East Gippsland, so as soon as it's safe I will be there supporting the places that have been a great source of fun for me over the years.

As for the CFA there fucking awesome.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

A piece of advice for anyone prepping in anticipation of fire. Don't forget to check you ceiling void for Sparrows nest material - b...s!

This is not my ceiling but it is my foot giving it scale. Believe it or not, I decided to have a beer since then but not the owner's beer. Yet!

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Being an ex firefighter the first thing i would recommend is make your property safe during the off season, and if fire threatens then do your last minute prep days and hours before leaving don't wait till the last minute then when told to leave do so, I've been in bad fire situations twice (threatened) during the ash Wednesday fires around orbost where we were cut off for several days with standing orders to vacate to a cleared safe area if told to, then in the 90's we were evacuated from our house when the fire was only a few hundred metres away and they were expecting a wind change to push it our way, i evacuated my family then mounted a firetruck to fight the fire and got the biggest shock to find a friend had decided to stay and protect his house with fire on 3 fronts around his house, if the predicted wind change had occurred not only would he had lost his life but im sure several others there would have too, possessions can be replace lives cant.

After the fire i had extremely hard words to my friend who seemed to wonder what i was on about, some people don't understand whats going on around them :wtf:
My time as a firefighter has seen some pretty amazing thing bith good and bad, but this was the reason i said i would never stay and fight. (My own house)
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
mazman
Lord of the fish
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher and 2015 Hobie Outback

Post by mazman »

bjspinner wrote:The good thing is Digger we get to read your report :thumbsup:

My brother was getting out of Eden today, my daughter and others left Metung at the height of the fires as it was to smokey and is currently still in Bairnsdale ( good for her to have close family around) at the pub.

This will be an economic disaster for the whole region, from the Latrobe Valley east to be shut down over prime holiday periods and then the rebuilds, lack of tourism after the fires are gone the ongoing effects will be great.

It's my favourite area in the state East Gippsland, so as soon as it's safe I will be there supporting the places that have been a great source of fun for me over the years.

As for the CFA there fucking awesome.
As soon as it's safe I plan to head to gippy and put a vid together encouraging people to visit the area and put some money into the economy down there. One of my favourite areas to visit and I can't even fathom the scale of these fires and the toll it takes on the community
Facebook page: Hawkesy Fishing
Youtube: Hawkesy Fishing
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

peatop wrote:Being an ex firefighter the first thing i would recommend is make your property safe during the off season, and if fire threatens then do your last minute prep days and hours before leaving don't wait till the last minute then when told to leave do so, I've been in bad fire situations twice (threatened) during the ash Wednesday fires around orbost where we were cut off for several days with standing orders to vacate to a cleared safe area if told to, then in the 90's we were evacuated from our house when the fire was only a few hundred metres away and they were expecting a wind change to push it our way, i evacuated my family then mounted a firetruck to fight the fire and got the biggest shock to find a friend had decided to stay and protect his house with fire on 3 fronts around his house, if the predicted wind change had occurred not only would he had lost his life but im sure several others there would have too, possessions can be replace lives cant.

After the fire i had extremely hard words to my friend who seemed to wonder what i was on about, some people don't understand whats going on around them :wtf:
My time as a firefighter has seen some pretty amazing thing bith good and bad, but this was the reason i said i would never stay and fight. (My own house)
Also as an ex CFA volunteer of 15 years having two major campaigns (06-07 high country and 09 Marysville King lake) I agree with everything you have said here. The thing to remember is that although many houses are saved by those who stay and defend, almost all fire deaths are those that leave too late.
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

God I’m getting frustrated typing on pads and phone, they are driving me insane!

Firstly heartfelt thanks to all of you, good friends, for your kind comments and support! It really does help.

Unfortunately today could be a repeat of the disaster we had a few days ago, conditions of hot temps and strong winds may cause lots more losses. Our house isn’t safe by a long shot as fires keep erupting from all around us. Our next door neighbour thought he was right only to loose 2 bays of his 4 bay shed yesterday morning. An elderly neighbour 2 doors away is still unaccounted for.

Lots of other outbreaks in Sarsfield yesterday and some this morning. Westfarmers our insurers have been great so far and yesterday the transferred $10,000 to our account for being long term loyal customers and to help out.

I want to say that all the people we’ve been dealing with over the last few days, police on roadblocks, CFA
MFB, army engineers have all been kind, caring and just bloody wonderful!
We have CFA volunteers from all over the country working to keep us safe and they are the best people in the world IMO.
Australian people are bloody awesome, best in the world when the chips are down!

You mob here aren’t too shabby either but unfortunately I can’t address your comments individually at this time but please know you are appreciated.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Stay safe today, sounds like it’ll be a tough one.

That said I saw Scomo was down that way shaking a few hands and dropping off a bag of groceries so I imagine everything will be fine fairly soon :roll:
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

Interesting to see the change from yesterday evening, to this morning, particularly the density of the smoke-cloud...

The cool-change has just hit Phillip Island, with strong W winds. Wonder how the wind-change will affect things down in E Gippy?
Image1.jpg
Image2.jpg
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

It’s a dirty day here at midday. Hot and a gusty southerly.

Smokey too so no day for asthmatics to be outside!

I fear there are a lot of people who will be in harms way in the next few days, or months! If any of you know a good rain dance please get stuck in.