East Gippsland Fires.

Completely off topic!
westy
Lord of the fish
kayak: hobie compass and adventure island

Re: East Gippsland Fires.

Post by westy »

l feel for every one, got burnt out at the farm when l had it at Jindivick on Black Saturday 11 years ago.
Totally changed my life, very expensive exercise that was [hence no more farm], its not just the financial loss, but the time it takes to recover, some times years,just visit Marysville, looks nice but not the same and has never recovered and to this day the mental trauma still follows,l should know.

Please every body Keep Safe :(
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

I’m sure that many small towns will find it hard to come back, though you can’t underrate the spirit and fortitude of country people.

The fires seem to have moved north of us now though in the winds and heat yesterday we were experiencing continuous outbreaks in and around Sarsfield.I’m hoping they will ease off but am worried about all the poor burgers still in the path of fires. Mallacoota could cop it again!

A neighbour last night was on ABC radio talking about cars with lights off at 2 am creeping down our roads and who sped off when illuminated.

Looters? I’ll head out this morning to see if there has been a break in. It’s as well that my guns were destroyed in the fire or I would have been out there last night waiting for them! Bugger the law!

Hopefully danger for us has passed by for a while.
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

People are incredible!

Yesterday East Gippsland Water came out and replaced our meter. They couldn’t do work on the property but advised us what to.

Our plumber came then and isolated supply from the destroyed buildings, in the rain restoring water supply and then when we tried to pay him, said, “Don’t be bloody ridiculous” Prior to that it was a 3 kilometres drive to a flush toilet! Power is next though not as easy.

Insurance assessor coming this arvo. Progress!

Mid afternoon some locals rocked up handing out donations groceries, bottled water, even dog food! When I said it should go to people that were more needy than us they said they had to get rid of it as it’s coming in faster than it could be distributed.

All morning we’ve had large fire damaged trees brought down and cut up thanks to a group of volunteer arborists from Melbourne. If we’d paid for it we would have been $4k lighter. Amazing people!
Last edited by Digger on 07 Jan 2020, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
pete49
Apprentice
kayak: perception swing

Post by pete49 »

Good to know your ok Digger.The help you received is a return on your service to us. Glad you are not harmed and can rebuild. :thumbsup:
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

Bloody awesome Dig!

Counters some of the stories going around and 3 arrests for looting. (low life pricks!)
I honestly believe that for every bad egg there are at least 10 good ones, it keeps my faith in humanity ticking along.

As Pete said it is well due to you mate and don't be shy to accept help, you more than earned it.
Very happy to hear some good news, keep telling it, shout it out mate! It keeps the morale up during this disaster.

Widsa.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Glad to hear you and others are getting the help needed :up: it can be devastating after fires go through, not only losses but also frustration and mental health issues, make sure you look after yourself and seek help if needed :thumbsup:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

Thanks fellas, appreciate your support.
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

Fascinating and scary timeline of fires developing from Dec 2 to January 5.
https://www.theage.com.au/environment/w ... 53pj9.html

Timeline progress is not constant. Watching the date helps interpret the image.

EDIT: Also, hotspots need to be interpreted. Its not all alight at once and every bit of bush may not be burnt. It represent the general area thee fires ran through. Like statistics, the map is a representation. Correct interpretation matters.
Last edited by Steve_R on 10 Jan 2020, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
JägerMarty
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outback 2015

Post by JägerMarty »

Good news Digger, glad you're getting some good help up there.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Steve_R wrote:Fascinating and scary timeline of fires developing from Dec 2 to January 5.
https://www.theage.com.au/environment/w ... 53pj9.html

Timeline progress is not constant. Watching the date helps interpret the image.
Check out the video that The Conversation put up on Facebook , hopefully the link works: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 4152419221