East Gippsland Fires.

Completely off topic!
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Re: East Gippsland Fires.

Post by Digger »

Thanks fellas but we can’t fully occupy again until we have electricity back and that’s at least a few days away still.

A friends generator is helping make our daytime stays more comfortable.

The greatest positive of this experience is community! People are what really matters and how we all gone work together. Bairnsdale and the small towns around it have a special feeling...usually a lovely place to live.

Interesting to see what the day brings.
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

An interesting but challenging day so far!

So much happening we are exhausted by the end of the day. Can’t sleep as there so much whirling around in our minds. The heat has brought us to a stop so nap time is approaching.

Kubota tractor ordered today. Area manager of Westfarmers came up to make sure the Kubota dealer looked after us as he knows him well. I asked about a tractor in stick there to find it was $1500 dearer as I need it now, not in 2 weeks time.

James said, “ Go for it, we will cover it all inc. the extra cost. “I want Rob to have his tractor quickly?” These people are bloody amazing!
There is everything to do and the tractor and bucket will make it easier. It will probably take 12 months for me to get the place looking good. again but the speed everything else is going might give me a gee up...Grin~

It’s all heading in the right direction people, so quickly too!
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

Good to know the decision is made so fast and you'll be in the saddle very soon.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

It’s pissing down in Geelong at the moment, hopefully some of that finds its way over east.
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

Looking at bom radar it is heading that way.
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

:!: We had the best rain here for ages last night and burned ground will be quickly replaced with green soon enough.

I can replace machinery right now if I wanted to but the only place I can store it is on the verandah.

Besides, I haven’t a need for a mower just yet...no grass...Grin~

We met early yesterday with a couple of Westfarmers insurance representatives and were surprised to learn that our policy include an amount for engineering and an amount for site clearing. A small amount for POL lost too.

The 2 levels of government are talking about covering the clean up and if that happens, we have more money towards rebuilding.

The test of a good insurer is how they perform when you make a claim, and ours are exemplary!

I also got a quote on shed replacement and found it quite reasonable compared to what we have been told.

It has been a week of amazing advancement, surprisingly so!
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

Digger wrote::!: We had the best rain here for ages last night and burned ground will be quickly replaced with green soon enough.
Bushfire ash is Aussie native natural fertilizer. It also makes grass grow with vigour. I hope the Kubota comes with a slasher. Enough rain and you'll very soon have your hands full.

You'll need to prepare for rabbits that hid underground while the fire raged, as well.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

Chuckle....rabbits.

First thing I saw walking back on the property the other day. Rabbits on a moonscape looks pretty weird!

Besides my guns got all burned up. I’ll have to install a new gun safe in the house before I can buy new guns so the furry little buggers might have free reign for a while.

I have to replace my slasher and the carryall as they were destroyed. I have a rotary hoe that I won’t bother replacing. I wonder if anybody buys equipment destroyed like this? I could probably rebuild the carryall, I did it last year. I haven’t got a welder now though so might just buy a new carryall?

We are getting stuck into cleaning up and the boys did heaps yesterday and are getting stuck into cutting up a big fallen tree in front of the house as I type.

An amazing week of rapid progress and lots of support, hope we can do the same next week.o
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

We had 15 ex servicemen & women here today dropping dangerous trees and cutting them up for firewood. They are coming back tomorrow with more people tomorrow.

I started to thank them and was cut off with “Its alright Rob, we’re happy to do it for family?” Ex service family that is.

Have I told you how proud I am to be an Aussie?
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

Good stuff