Oregano Oil!

Completely off topic!
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Re: Oregano Oil!

Post by Digger »

Steve_R wrote:Salt water rinse will clear the crap out of your sinuses.
If you try it, make sure you follow the instructions so you avoid blowing it into Eustachian tubes. If you do, you may get an incredibly painful infection.

Theres another rinse called “Fess" which was recommended by a doctor to rinse the nose out and I find it un objectionable. Not sure if it reaches sinuses by just squirting?
StrawHat
Apprentice
kayak: Big grey one

Post by StrawHat »

For sinus rinse, you can just use normal, powdered rock salt... there’s no magical ingredients in the ‘special products’ for sale... even buying a salt grinder with salt already in it (generic brand) from safewy or cols, and add about 1/2 tsp / 1/2 cup will prevent the sinus burn when rinsing...
( personal preference... only natural salt, no additives pls)... nothing wrong with using products that are specifically designed for this affliction... I’m just so tight you can hear me squeak as I walk by... hence the low-tech approach!
Last edited by StrawHat on 18 May 2020, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

Digger wrote: Theres another rinse called “Fess" which was recommended by a doctor to rinse the nose out and I find it un objectionable. Not sure if it reaches sinuses by just squirting?
I probably should have explained a little more.

Not all Sinus rinse methods are the same so it depends which type of Fess. My experience is only with the rinse type pictured before which pushes large amounts of water into your nostril (e.g. not a spray).

The type (brand is irrelevant) illustrated requires you bend over the sink and squirt warm salty water into your nostrils. Until you do it the first time, you suspect you'd be a candidate for drowning but so far, not a drop of water into the lungs. It becomes almost addictive.

StrawHat is quite right about the salt. The reason I use the expensive stuff is the sachets are precisely pre-measured for an amount of water to the fill line of the applicator. The right amount of salt in the water suits your body chemistry. That combined with the right temperature water result is none of the burning sensation you get swimming when water enters your nostrils. However, a few grams either way probably won't make a lot of difference.

As an added step to the instructions in a kit, its a good idea to bend so your head is close to upside down for a few seconds after you finish. When you stand upright again, more water may run out of sinus cavities.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
flyonline
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Australis Bass

Post by flyonline »

Thanks Digger, I will follow it up (both tumeric and oregano oil).

Steve
yes, I rinse with DIY salt water frequently, but to be honest it's only a short term relief - particularly if I'm inside with reverse cycle heating/cooling, hayfever etc. I've found warm as possible water helps as much as the salt, I suspect it helps loosen any gunk physically as well.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Lots and lots of curries this if you use the hot one will fix everything especially sinus issues lol l use tumeric in a lot of my cooking along with lots of other herbs and spices, we aussies were brought up on meat and 3 veg and the only additives we put in our food was salt, pepper and tomato sauce, lol but using spices not only adds flavors but also have medicinal benefits :thumbsup:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

There's nothing like a good bowl of chilli noodles to clear the sinus problem that doesn't exist. Add a lot of garlic and ginger is becomes a cure-all. If you are young enough and fit enough, distance running works well.

A/C related sinus problems are probably connected with or exacerbated by reduced humidity rather than pollens. On the days you need A/C on, a humidifier may help but if you don't maintain the humidifier, you may end up with a far worse condition caused by mould spores (NOT from personal experience).

Fexofanedine when I am desperate for a chemical fix (a major brand is Telfast but I buy generic 'Fexo' (which is the same stuff without the price of advertising added).

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/