Lest We Forget

Completely off topic!
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Lest We Forget

Post by Digger »

Today is “Vietnam Veterans’ Day” here in Australia and is held on the anniversary of “The Battle of Long Tan” which occurred on the 18th August 1966. For those that are interested in historic battles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Long_Tan

In brief 100 of our blokes responding to mortar attacks entered a rubber plantation looking for the attackers but were ambushed by a force of North Vietnamese regulars estimated to be 2000 soldiers. ( 20/1) In appalling weather our blokes fought all night and we were reenforced after a night of bloody fighting. The NVA withdrew during the night leaving many dead something they seldom did, usually removing bodies to confuse the count.

Thanks in part to incredible artillery support from a Kiwi company we fought them off and they withdrew leaving 18 of our boys dead and hundreds of NVA dead also. Thats our greatest loss of life in battle since WW11. D Coy 6 RAR received a (US) Presidential unit citation for that action

I lost a friend and workmate Colin Whiston from Crib Point in that action.

If you think life is hard with a few Covid restrictions then please consider that these boys, and they were boys,
couldn't subsequently marry, have children or even enjoy their grandchildren like the rest of us have. They could no longer walk on a beach or see a beautiful sunset, nor stroke a puppy.

Lest we forget.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Re: Lest We Forget

Post by Seasherpa »

Thanks for the reminder Dig, It is easy to lose perspective at times.
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

Seasherpa wrote:Thanks for the reminder Dig, It is easy to lose perspective at times.
No worries Eoin, perspective is everything!
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

All war is sad Dig. I wasn't called up for national service as my number wasn't pulled out, so I missed the conflict. Some of my mates were called up and some even got to Vietnam. My father during WWII was a survivor of the sinking of both the Canberra and the Perth. To survive 2 sinkings is a considerable effort as well.
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

happyas wrote:All war is sad Dig. I wasn't called up for national service as my number wasn't pulled out, so I missed the conflict. Some of my mates were called up and some even got to Vietnam. My father during WWII was a survivor of the sinking of both the Canberra and the Perth. To survive 2 sinkings is a considerable effort as well.

Indeed he was lucky Larry, or unlucky depending on how you view things.

Yeah I don’t do so well with raffles anyway. First there was the call up and in later years I won a trailer load of split firewood thanks to a group called the “National Servicemen's assoc”.

They even brought it out and stacked it for me!

It didn’t burn! Struck by lightning.....I should have known.

Be happy it was one that you missed out on my friend.
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

I truly am Dig. I have a son living with me who is ex police and suffers with PTSD. I do have a first hand experience of the effects of severe trauma. Very sad and very hard on all in his circle as well as him. I know a lot of the returned guys suffered PTSD big time.
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

The reason I haven’t worked for 20 years.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

It certainly helps to think of the people who had to deal with S#!^ like this to realise we don't have it so bad no matter how dark things are right now.

The thought of being conscripted and sent off to that shitshow of a war fills me with horror, so mad respect to the folks who took it in their stride. Dad never spoke about it but I'm pretty sure he was at risk of having his number called out, he's one of the least violent people I know and would probably have defected to the communists if they tried to make him fight.

VJ day wasn't long ago too, it led to me spending a bit of time reading WWII history on wikipedia and when you think about the deprivations and existential threat people lived with for 6 years it really brings home how lucky we are.
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

They were different times Ian, we seem to think differently now.

My grandfather was in Gallipoli, dad fought Rommel in the desert and my uncle was in Korea, it seemed to be something the men in my family did. Yes I was conscripted but ended up extending by 6 months and volunteering to go.

Not all the experience was bad and I believe I’m a better person because of it, but there’s no doubting it was a dangerous place.

I have great respect for the men and women in our services today, they give me much pride.
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

Digger wrote:They were different times Ian, we seem to think differently now.
Unfortunately it seems much the same to me Dig, many young Marxists are popping up all over the globe.
History is doomed to repeat itself.

It is interesting how military service seems to run in the family.
My dad and uncles on both sides served and I also have family links to WW1 "Gallipoli" and WW2 "Kokoda".
I put my hand up for Timor but missed the ticket, looking back I am not sure if that was a good or bad thing.
I discharged when Iraq war 2 kicked off as I could see the writing on the wall, it turned out that was an illegal war.
I do miss the brotherhood very much these days and have mixed feelings about not getting to "actively" serve even though I was ready to go.

Lest we forget Digger.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway